Zero Punctuation: Silent Hill: Shattered Memories

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
This was one of the best in a good while, thoroughly loved it. The first 'kicking in the balls' quip made me burst out laughing, and that rarely happens. Nice!

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
I never understood the Silent Hill series so most of these games that Yahtzee reviews is only half baked since I don't know what the hell's going on.

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
FINALLY! :D

So, what I interpret to be a final verdict is as follows:

Not scary.
Weak psychological aspects.
Pretty damn good story. Well, compared to most Silent Hill games in the last five years.

Eh, good enough for me. I liked it well enough, and running from those beasties always got the blood flowing for me.

WolfmanNougat

May 14, 2009
So Shattered Memories is a glorified Robert Pattinson simulator? Pass. Anything that can make me empathise with that monotonous ***** just isn't worth it. And living with a guy (my brother) who speaks only slightly better than him certainly doesn't help the verdict much.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
It may not have been scary or anything...but I found it really immersive, and a huge step in the right direction for the series.

On the fucking Wii of all things.

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
Yahtzee's done so many Silent Hill reviews that I thought for sure he had done Shattered Memories before. Nah, probably just confused that with Homecoming. (Since, after all, whose homecoming isn't rife with shattered memories? ;))

From the sounds of things, the game isn't bad, provided you're not playing it specifically to be scared. I've never been much of a horror fan. I can't see the point of evoking a fear response other than perhaps a desire to be a part of mass hysteria, and that sort of makes you an evolutionary dead end when the poisoned kool aid gets passed around.

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
misterprickly said:
I've said it before... I'll say it again.
Did he say if he liked it or not?
Yes.

Yahtzee tends not to flat out give games thumbs up or thumbs down on the grounds that this is the easy answer befitting to tools, but he will tell you the parts of the game he liked and the parts of the game he didn't like under the understanding you'll judge for yourself if that means you will like it.

Slinker07

Jan 14, 2009
Oh, you mention the arcade game! I've only seen it and played it once in my life. (It was on a trip to Sydney.) And then always kinda thought it as some bad dream.

Jonci

Sep 15, 2009
That was actually a much tamer review than I was expecting for this game. I enjoyed it myself, but it was also my first Silent Hill experience. I figured Yahtzee was going rip apart any Silent Hill game that wasn't Silent Hill 2.

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
That "This game plays you as much as you play it" bullshit is... well, bullshit. They could have as well called the psycological test "Settings" and there you have it.

Orcus The Ultimate

Nov 22, 2009
That's the reason why i don't fuckin' care anymore about Any Wii related game or console or accesories, and that's the reason why this is going to be the last time i answer in a Wii related topic loool ! XD

lwm3398

Apr 15, 2009
"Oh fuck a pink dress, shit's gettin' real!"

That is all I have to say about this episode.

oldmeme

Jul 9, 2008
The help-along-cue-card pictorial-animation felt messy to me in this ep. Took too long to get the joke in some cases, which doesn't help much considering they're like a Powerpoint presentation on overdrive. Might be just me tough. Meh.

Will look into SM if it is in fact miles better than the newer ones.

Andaxay

Thinking with Portals
Jun 4, 2008
Haha, the bit about not resting 'til the rubbish has been diligently ignored made me inhale my cup of tea. After coughing it up I realised that I might give this game a chance, had I a Wii. However, it won't make me re-buy one.

Nice review, good to know there are at least half-decent games on a console I very quickly got bored of.