Zero Punctuation: Skate 2

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
this was good, the last few have been lacking somewhat, still excellent but jsut not the same.

Sewblon

Nov 5, 2008
I never heard of the Skate games before this. It is good to know that as a non-skater I am not missing out.

guardian001

Oct 20, 2008
I wonder if he knows he can change the camera angle at the pause menu... Anyway, still a good review. I honestly found trying to shatter every bone in my body more fun than the actual game. You just can't beat hurling yourself off a building hoping the skateboard will break your fall, which it generally doesn't.

Techni

Oct 6, 2005
I liked the review, but it doesn't restore the credibility he lost with his absolutely horrible Dead Space review

Zetona

Dec 20, 2008
One of my best friends is a skater, and for him I downloaded the Skate 2 demo. We speculated as to whether Yahtzee would actually review this, and we agreed that it wasn't likely. I was quite astonished to see Yahtzee review this one. Not his best review, though; I think that not being a skater forced him out of his element by having him look at the game from a less-scathing perspective.

ElTigreNegro

Jan 17, 2009
Techni said:
I liked the review, but it doesn't restore the credibility he lost with his absolutely horrible Dead Space review
Touched a nerve it seems. Going to therapy already?

darmey

Sep 10, 2008
Of course a Fiat Bravo would instantly break down before it could reach a speed to knock down anybody's mother. HUR HUR HUR

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
The game sounds alright but they really should have a dictionary or something for all the skate and slang terms it seems.

PauL o_O

Feb 15, 2009
Great review Yahtzee, but I think you didn't really want to have fun with it. At the beginning toy made it quite clear that you didn't like skating, so I think this review was a little bit unfair. I didn't necessarily enjoy Skate 2, but the tricks weren't that hard to learn, considering there were only three of them, and I think you could've enjoyed the game if you really had wanted to.

Nikajo

Feb 6, 2009
lmao loved that XD I get the impression he was going to hate it from the word go but it still cracked me up. Skating games have never been my cup of tea to be honest. They don't involve killing anything, how crap is that?! ;-)

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
WHat happened to "I bowed to never by anything from Harmonix again?" other than that, it was an enjoyable video.
I guess the bum joke really was getting old. It was funny how he summarized it.
I agree that the game is for actual skaters mostly.

Firia

Sep 17, 2007
I 'bravo' your review here because I'm seeing Yahtzee stepping outside his norm, and reviewing a game clearly so far out side his paradigms, that he once again speaks for the gaming Everyman (or woman, in my case).

It's odd how individual legs get their own button. I see games like Assassins Creed and Prince of Persia assign "legs" or "acrobatics" to one button, and it makes some sense, I suppose. But applying weight shifting and foot placement seems... hardcore! Truely a game for only the most devout. :)

Devout I am not, so I will excuse myself for something completely different. :D Enjoyed the review, Yahtzee!

Gerazzi

Feb 18, 2009
HOW DARE THEY ADVERTISE A JRPG ON ZERO PUNCTUATION!!!
they might as well paint a dartboard on their skulls...
although in hindsight, I suck so much at actual aiming that it probably wouldn't matter if they did...

I wasn't expecting skateboarding games to be actually good, especially since there's no reason for gamers to buy them and I don't see why skateboarders would buy them since they can go about living the dream of having their necks broken by... oh, I dunno, actually skateboarding?

Maybe they're doing this because they're too busy being in the hospital to skateboard?

I honestly don't know.

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
I could see how this would offend skateboarders. As for me, I thought it was indeed a hilarious perspective to consider a skateboarding game in anthropological terms.

I respect the developers were trying to put together a deep, difficult game. There's a dreadful lack of them these days - it's just easier to pander to the casual. (Admittedly, I feel a sudden urge to play that Peggle demo [http://store.steampowered.com/app/3483/] mislabeled as a free product that Steam is distributing.) However, clearly one needs to ease the player into it, and that Skate 2 apparently didn't do that tells me they could have used more tutorial levels.

ExileLink

Nov 28, 2008
Awesome review. Now that you've brought it up (that Green Grass and High tides joke was amazing), would you PLEASE review Rock Band since you actually have it?

Podunk

Dec 18, 2008
ExileLink said:
Awesome review. Now that you've brought it up (that Green Grass and High tides joke was amazing), would you PLEASE review Rock Band since you actually have it?
I don't think he'll bother, as in his Guitar Hero World Tour review he said "Get this game or Rock Band because it honestly doesn't matter."