Zero Punctuation: Skate 2

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
Gerazzi said:
HOW DARE THEY ADVERTISE A JRPG ON ZERO PUNCTUATION!!!
they might as well paint a dartboard on their skulls...
It'd be ironic if they put Yahtzee to work on Persona 2 and he turned out to like it.

diocles777

May 8, 2008
VaioStreams said:
"sixaxis to wave your willy around" brilliant
Normally, I LOVE Yahtzee's penis jokes, but this one was just so-so. Maybe I've heard something similar. I'm looking forward to next week, though, when I'm sure he'll come back with more AAA cock jokes. I live for that stuff.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Well a few things

For starters I know Left Behind (never played it), I've played Uncharted (decent but unexceptional game, I don't get why Yahtzee calls it white supremist though, other than as a joke), but what is the third one that he said was about child molestation? Some Sailor Moon game? I occasionally miss out on his referances when he trots out a game as part of a joke I don't recognize.

As far as Skate goes, I'm not a Skater, but I've been looking at such games and wondering if they were something I might like for a change of pace. Humor aside, Yahtzee sort of addressed the game from the perspective of people like me.

See, honestly I think the idea is fairly cool, but it would be nice if someone was to build an open world game like this with something to do except more or less perform tricks for points and such. I don't know, like combine the premise and the controls (even if they are hard to learn) with another failed "urban" game like "Getting Up" or something and a bit of San Andreas or wild supernatural stuff to like give you something to do other than just land tricks (as I understand it).

But then again I doubtlessly miss the point of games like this entirely.

>>>----Therumancer--->

Amisbro

Nov 26, 2008
I got the intro the second time I watched it through.

Now for the review:

It was hard for me to get into this review and I dunno why. It seems to me that Yahtzee is mellowing out somewhat and possibly jumped the shark with his Farcry 2 review which was so funny I almost choked on my own air.

Its always been hard for me to get into games like Aggressive Inline or Tony Hawk personally because I think we tend to try and figure out whether or not we are making a skateboarding game or some weird version of SFII that just happens to INVOLVE skateboarding!

Come Ben we know you can do better than this so please try harder! Christ I think you'd do better ripping on Dragon Quest V or one of the Valkyrie Profile games that Tri-Ace made but then again what do I know

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Oh and apologies about writing another post so quickly here, but Yahtzee's professional obligations crack made me think of something almost Satanic.

Those of you who work for the Escapist, you know mods and such that seemingly kill the first few posts every week. Please kick it up as far as it needs to go to get Yahtzee's bosses make him review (dum dum de dum) "Dynasty Warriors Gundam 2". Knowing his professed tastes I think we will find new and innovative levels of bile within him, mixed with agonized screams echoing all throughout the Down Under.

Whoever delivers the news to him should also probably dress up like The Marquis De Sade.

This is not to say that the series is THAT bad (I actually played the first one), but for Yahtzee... well thankfully there is no such thing is inhumane treatment of contracted video game reviewers.

Oh, and while it hasn't been that long (a couple of minutes) trying to figure out what that third game is, is killing me.

DEFMan316

Aug 28, 2008
Great review, best ZP in a while. Personally, I really miss the old days with actual music for the intro and ending, rather than the current "theme" song. Half the humor of the original reviews was seeing what songs he'd use (see for example, Army of Two and Burnout: Paradise). Any chance of ditching the theme music and going back? Please??

Ryuzaki

The Public Face of L
Nov 5, 2008
A great review, laughed at the over complex controls. I got the intro straight away, wish they would get rid of the pop up ad though and just put it at the end of the video. (Then I wouldn't have to watch it) Looking forward to next weeks video.

Tonimata

Jul 21, 2008
so he DOES have Rock Band? the first one at that? and he can't beat Green Grass and High Tides?
I'm starting to relate every day more to this guy
any tips on how to beat that godforsaken song?
specially the ending?
please?
kthx
lol
Edit: FORGET ABOUT ALL THAT NONSENSE AND REMEMBER THE EPIC MINUTE 18:50-18:58 of the 25/03/09 on GMT +01 OF STANDARD HUMAN HISTORY, BECAUSE I FINALLY DID IT!!! GOD BLESS THE SOLO BUTTONS!!!
Sorry, I reaaaaaaaaaally had to do it.

Tonimata

Jul 21, 2008
I agree with you, the No More Heroes one actually got me to download the song just to give it a listen. But since ZP is too broadly casted, I suppose there must be some legal impediment there.
But yeah
WE WANT THE COOL SONGS BACK!

P1p3s

Jan 16, 2009
this isn't the first review I've heard for this, and another one was by a hardcore skater. Interestingly while you can discount all issue of lore (if you can call it such a thing in a skater game...ok you can't, subcultural references then) because he was familiar with all of that but he had the same issues with the controls, it seems like a memory test rather than a game.

boozeparade

Feb 18, 2009
congratulations on having the only video game review in human history to reference Oliver Reed. Nicely done, sir.

tijuanatim

Sep 24, 2008
I thought my computer glitched and it skipped the intro but after reading the comments I guess not.

Anywho, I really liked this one, alot better than the last few actually. More about the game, less about the state of gameing today. Also this one was downright funny.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
It's nice to know that Yahtzee at least understood what the developer was going for. We as gamers complain up and down that game companies make their games too "accessible" but then when a game comes out that unashamedly says "fans only, the rest of you can bugger off if you don't like it" reviewers tend to rip it to shreds. Moral of the story is that Skate 2 is in all likelihood going to be the Game of the Year for the sort of people who can tell you who won gold, silver, and bronze at the X Games but couldn't tell you who Tim Geithner is (and would probably have some trouble recognizing the name of Joe Biden.)

brainfreeze215

Feb 5, 2009
You know, I will admit I was a little worried about Zero Punctuation. It started with that thread that went up a while ago here that said Yahtzee was "Losing his edge" and I vehemently disagreed, but the last few videos were not as good as his best (though I still enjoyed them). This is a real return to form.