Zero Punctuation: Sleeping Dogs

charliesbass

Feb 22, 2012
I fucking loved this game. Still, I thought you said you were working on Darksiders 2! Oh, that must be for next week. Both great games though.

Calibanbutcher

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2009
I only found this video 3 minutes after my clock had turned to 6 and already I had started shaking and showing symptoms of withdrawal.
I might have a problem.

Aug 25, 2009
Urgh.

I want a cop sandbox game! I want to be a detective in a city like San Andreas or Stillwater, chasing after these homicidal bad guys and being penalised for killing the wrong people and being too brutal! We had it back in the 90s/early 00s with the SWAT games, so why not now?

Very funny review as always.

Username Redacted

Dec 29, 2010
Shalok said:
GTA V better have a jetpack or Yahtzee will have an aneurysm!
Hell, given how much unnecessary BS got crowbarred into the game I'm surprised that Saints Row 3 didn't have a dildo shaped jetpack.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
I've been enjoying this game very much thus far. The focus on combat rather that gunplay for the most part is refreshing in a sandbox game. Also I relish the minor mechanics such as the ability to throw people into the back of cars and take them somewhere.

In regards to the jetpack remark, by that logic I think that the only sandbox game that has evolved is Just Cause 2... a game which Yahtzee really enjoyed. Fine, I suppose the argument does hold water then haha!

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
I keep hearing good and bad things about this from everyone. Most people love it, most people hate it for being buggy. I guess that's what happens when the developer changes and picks up the project about five years or whatever after it was cancelled.

CyborgGinger

Apr 1, 2011
That whole episode was worth it just for the "punchline" at the end. Indeed. If there's no jetpacks, you might as well just be banging two rocks together.

Artemicion

Need superslick, Kupo.
Dec 7, 2009
The whole "undercover cop" bit sounded familiar, but then the two different bars for cops and bad guys really makes it sound like the Heart of Darkness episode of Miami Vice. It's a shame that's not where they got their inspiration from, because if they had, the game would be all the better for it.

He makes a good point, though. Not even SR3 had jetpacks. Why the hell not?

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
Rakor said:
Sniff sniff*

Smell that? It's jetpack dlc.
Well I already saw a screen shot floating around with the main character sporting the grappling hook from Just Cause 2 so don't know what that's all about...

FEichinger

Aug 7, 2011
MelasZepheos said:
Urgh.

I want a cop sandbox game! I want to be a detective in a city like San Andreas or Stillwater, chasing after these homicidal bad guys and being penalised for killing the wrong people and being too brutal! We had it back in the 90s/early 00s with the SWAT games, so why not now?

This. Revival of the Police Quest series for the modern market. Not this undercover cop bullshit. Heck, True Crime LA is still the best of the three, and that's GTA III era.
Something along the lines of L.A. Noire with more randomness and sandboxyness to it.

Captcha: public good
Fuck yeah, solvemedia!

Mark B

Nov 5, 2007
Still the same could be said about GTA4, Did it have a jetpack ?
No it went the gritty realism route and was worse for it. So of course they have to copy.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
8-years ago I think the only thing San Andreas didn't have was surfing and, skateboarding. It had almost literally everything else including but not limited to a big fat bastard jumping out of a harrier jet at sub-sonic speeds, a roid-raging anger-man riding a moped over old ladies on a board walk and, as Yahtzee said, a Jetpack. I think Just Cause 2 was the closest we've come to matching San Andreas this generation which just seems kind of wrong to me.

As for Sleeping Dogs it looks good and I'm more pleased that it takes place in a city that isn't New York City or, Las Angelas (which could become the NEXT New York City). I'll probably grab this one up when the price dips a bit.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Shalok said:
GTA V better have a jetpack or Yahtzee will have an aneurysm!
GTAV will be hyperrealistic. You will need to operate your legs individually with each analogue stick and there will be a stamina bar for each. Anything remotely fun will be removed, and cars will handle like cows on rollerskates. You know, realism.

Looks like no jet pack this time.

MelasZepheos said:
Urgh.

Because being a raging sociopath is all the ra...Ummm...Think of another word that isn't rage.

Seriously, though, I think that'd be awesome.

Toasty Virus

Somehow I Returned?
Dec 2, 2009
gphjr14 said:
Rakor said:
Sniff sniff*

Smell that? It's jetpack dlc.
Well I already saw a screen shot floating around with the main character sporting the grappling hook from Just Cause 2 so don't know what that's all about...
It's DLC I'm pretty sure, allows you to "action hijack" from further than usual.

OT: They do sort of provide a reason why they trust you. Wei grew up with Jackie,Winston and Dogeyes and they do show signs of thinking he's a cop at first
when he gets that drug dealer guy who's name I forget arrested