Zero Punctuation: Sonic Unleashed

Vlane

Sep 14, 2008
akamoron said:
The PS2 version was OK.
Also, I agree (as much as it pains me to say it): Sonic is dead

If Sonic Team really wants to "re-invent the series," they should go back to the old Sonic Adventure format (without all the stupid side missions).
Or, better yet, actually make a true 3D side scroller featuring just Sonic; no Tails, no Shadow, just Sonic.
A true 3D side scroller? That's not even possible. Side scroller's are 2D only.

the cat

Dec 27, 2008
Your lack of intel prohibits you from understanding any level of game play. Your evaluations are like watching the special Olympics, its entertaining for the first few minutes, but ultimately you feel bad for their lack of motor skills. Knowing that, how the fuck do you think you are capable of evaluating anything. Your quick knee jerk and bias reaction leaves you in dumb ass Zelda 2D game play. What, you think your red spider potion is going to make things seem more believable? However, I do know what would be more helpful. Stop playing the fuckin game! Suck my little blue balls. On a positive note, I like your sense of humor.

REvolve

Oct 7, 2007
I quite liked this game, though I've liked a fair few of the 3D sonic games, so I'm in the minority. I really didn't find it that difficult either (though I will give that the village parts were completely pointless). Was quite fun to watch someone rant about it though, good work :).

deathkill2

Dec 28, 2008
this game is terrible if i created this game i would have committed suicide. first of all why the hell sonic would turn into a freaking wolf it makes know sense. what next sonic turn emo. i believe Wat Yahtzee says is true sonic is dead so stop buying the game or the devolpers will just keep on making.

cartooner2008

Dec 18, 2008
REvolve said:
I quite liked this game, though I've liked a fair few of the 3D sonic games, so I'm in the minority. I really didn't find it that difficult either (though I will give that the village parts were completely pointless). Was quite fun to watch someone rant about it though, good work :).
I will also say that I too enjoyed Sonic Unleashed. In fact, it's my favorite 3D Sonic game yet (and before anyone asks, yes, I have played the Sonic Adventure games).

dunnace

Oct 10, 2008
Triffid said:
This, is why Sonic is still alive. You people who are fans of him just can't fucking let go, can you? Seriously, how fucking low do your expectations have to be to like Sonic Heroes?
Oh, sorry, I happened to think I had an opinion! Obviously not! And FYI, I had no hype for Sonic Heroes, I found it for £10 in Woolworths about 3 years ago and bought it on a whim, and I really liked it. Sure, it was flawed, but fun. I'd give it 8, it was simple and enjoyable, the closest Sonic has come to being good in 3d.

And you know what, fuck you. Even if you don't like Sonic, why should you not let other people who do like it play it? Enjoy Sanityville USA, it's full of pricks like you.

Zetona

Dec 20, 2008
This may have been his most negative review yet. I don't think he's ever reviewed a game so bad that he can't derive some masochistic enjoyment from it before.

Bootkiller

Master of Dimensions
Dec 27, 2008
cyrad said:
I thought it was rather entertaining and believe it had good points outlining Sonic's career. What I found interesting about this review is that Yahtzee thought the WereHog portions were the best part of the game whereas every other game critic felt the WereHog levels were the worst part of the game.
Well, If you tend to notice, most reviewers other than Yahtzee Croshaw have a completely different mindset, usually that of a kiss-ass. Besides, I played (let me make this clear: rented, not bought) Sonic Unleashed, and I also think the night was better than the day. It's the closest I've come to playing a good Sonic game in a long time.

Vlane said:
akamoron said:
The PS2 version was OK.
Also, I agree (as much as it pains me to say it): Sonic is dead

If Sonic Team really wants to "re-invent the series," they should go back to the old Sonic Adventure format (without all the stupid side missions).
Or, better yet, actually make a true 3D side scroller featuring just Sonic; no Tails, no Shadow, just Sonic.
A true 3D side scroller? That's not even possible. Side scroller's are 2D only.
What about a fake 3D, where the characters are 3D, but Sonic can only move up, down, left and right? They've done that before. Don't be so quick to correct people without doing the research.

xButton said:
I disagree with you Mr. Croshaw. Sonic himself does not suck because he's an old franchise, Sonic Unleashed sucks because it's a bad game. If they made a Sonic game for todays systems that utilized all of the elements that made Sonic great in the days of Genesis, not the stuff in Unleashed that was awful, it would make for a great game. In summation, old franchises don't suck, crappy games suck.
But we're not talking about the old franchises. we're talking about now, and how all of the current games suck a lot. The old franchises aren't going to matter if the current one goes bankrupt due to its stupid games. Yeah, if they made a Sonic game in this decade that had all of the old and good elements, and didn't add any horrendously bad "new" characters (I'm talking to whoever devised "Chip," you waste of life), it would be awesome. But they haven't been listening to anyone out here on the forums, possibly because they have materialized failure shoved into their eyes and ears, and don't know what the people actually want.

MiyaKome

Dec 31, 2008
Like the MGS4 review, this one is flawed with the fact that he didn't like the game to begin with. He picked it apart for the sole purpose of picking it apart, which isn't so much of a review as it is a huge complaint over the fact that Sonic doesn't tickle his fancy.

The game, while very light and somewhat cheesy, is, overall, enjoyable.

His section of the day levels are completely false as they're the obvious highlight of the game. As others have said, it captures speed nearly perfectly. There is virtually no loss of frame rate as you fly across the screen, and is, essentially, a perfect 3D rendition of what the old Genesis games would have been. You can even go so fast that the music can't always catch up with you, it's fantastic.

As for random spikes and pitfalls popping up? Yeah. They exist. But guess what? EVERY Sonic game had random traps and launch pads that were meant to make you lose your rings and/or life.

Though, perhaps the horribly biased and unprofessional review is due to the fact that he was butthurt over constantly obtaining E's on his first run of a level.

It had a few laughs, but seemed to mostly be a review of Sonic's 3D history over the past few years rather than of JUST this game. YES, Sonic's games after Adventure have been complete and utter balls. I myself refused to play any and all Sonic games from the Playstation era on up. This one, however, is an actual good time. I highly recommend anyone who saw this review to actually rent the game and forge their own opinions before going along with Yahtzee.

satanrules

Dec 6, 2007
Sonic has eaten shit since the Sega CD version. Don't tell that to the gang of retarded assholes over at Sonic-Cult.org though, they'll hack your pc, steal your credit cards and put pictures of penii and boobies on your website.

Oh yah, great review. Spot on.

angel85

Dec 31, 2008
Another hilarious review, even though I liked the game I can't disagree with anything he said about it...for the Xbox 360 or PS3 version. But he used the box art for the Wii version, I'm not saying he would have liked the Wii version but I will say that everything he said was bad about this game is a non-issue in it. There are no quick time events during the werehog fights (except for one boss fight, and cocking it up only means you deal LESS damage, not increase its health.) There is no pointless gameplay lengthening hub world with the Tornado travel (basically a 7 minute long quick time event based on video I saw on youtube,) and no running around a city searching for a mission hub; you only need to highlight the right NPC on a picture and he'll reveal the temple, it takes about 2 minutes, once you get to the temple you can walk through the door to the action stages with no problem, there is no "you need x amount of coins to advance" bullcrap. The hedgehog stages do not arbitrarily kill you for not moving at the beginning and there are no spike pits that come out of nowhere, I can only imagine the Wii version removed all of the frustratingly difficult levels and left the fun ones in. The only thing in this review that actually applies to the Wii version is the lives system, especially since you can only attain extra lives by going through the secret doors in the temples.

What I'm trying to say is most people ignore the Wii and PS2 versions of this game because they think it's a stripped down version of the 360/PS3 version. I like to think of the 360/PS3 versions as the Wii version with a bunch of needless fluff added. Imagine the Wii version is your car, it gets nice mileage and handles quite well, the 360/PS3 version is the same car with a hotrod paint job, spinning rims, hydraulics, and a $5000 dollar stereo system that will shatter the windows if turned up more than 1/4 of the way. Sure the latter LOOKS cool, but all that stuff adds to its weight so it now gets 10 miles to the gallon and handles on the road like a shopping cart full of BRICKS. Speaking of which the tarted up version of the game experiences framerate drops below 30fps because it can't render those pretty graphics Sony and Microsoft are so proud of at the speed Sonic moves at, the slightly less graphics heavy Wii version experiences no such slowdown.

drkotaku

Oct 22, 2008
Lord_Seth said:
drkotaku said:
Yes Yahtzee the Wii version sucks! Thats because it's the only version not running on the new hedgehog engine!
Go play the spankingly ace 360 or ps3 versions!
You mean the "spankingly ace" versions that are receiving worse reviews than the Wii version?
It's ridiculous the reviews for sonic, its proving the old quote 'Dont judge a book by its cover' farrrrrr too often.

Granted it's a challenge, but its fun and refreshing (especially when compared with other games) I find it hard to understand how broken terrible clones such as 'hitman blood money' on the 360 can get great reviews just because of its name and sonic can only get terrible because of the name...

MiyaKome

Dec 31, 2008
Actually, the main reason why the Wii version is getting higher reviews is because it has fewer spoken cutscenes, which made the game "less annoying," which is complete bullshit considering it doesn't have as many playable levels as the PS3/360 versions. But then again, every time a new GTA game comes out it always receives a perfect score, so I've stopped trusting reviewers other than myself for quite a few years now.

cartooner2008

Dec 18, 2008
MiyaKome said:
Actually, the main reason why the Wii version is getting higher reviews is because it has fewer spoken cutscenes, which made the game "less annoying," which is complete bullshit considering it doesn't have as many playable levels as the PS3/360 versions. But then again, every time a new GTA game comes out it always receives a perfect score, so I've stopped trusting reviewers other than myself for quite a few years now.
I think another reason why the Wii version has better reviews is because the hub worlds are just point-and-click.

angel85

Dec 31, 2008
I'm pretty sure Yahtzee played the HD version, because the Wii version doesn't have a single one of the problems he said it has. The Wii version is not a stripped down version of the HD version, the HD version has a bunch of stuff tacked on to lengthen gameplay and I think the Wii version is better for not having it.

TAGM

Dec 16, 2008
I won't question that the game is total crap, no, but I will say this:
YOU CAN CONTROL IT.
Which makes it somewhat better then Sonic 06. Which, in turn, is a somewhat good sign.

MeatSnack1

Jan 3, 2009
Yahtzee, Sonic fans (like myself) know full well that sonics recent games have been shite.

But remember that for the fans it dosent matter, as long as we keep the love with us.