Zero Punctuation: Spore

Elminsters Hat

Sep 3, 2008
Was kindof expecting this one to be on this week, and after playing spore, I'm not surprised yahtzee doesn't like it.

For me, spore was incredibly disappointing. The editors are all awesome, very nice job there. The game just isn't making me want to play it for much longer. There were a few very cute things that I really liked, the impressing creatures/tribes for example, that was somewhat challenging at times.

All in all, my feelings about spore can be summed up as: "I got the the space age, yay for me, now back to Civ IV where religion isn't just an excuse for harp shaped guns."

Nerdfury

I Can Afford Ten Whole Bucks!
Feb 2, 2008
The thing that shits me off about people here is that no one ever really seems smart enough to accept something for what it is, and instead applies disappointment for it not being what you wanted. Assassin's Creed was the most prevalent game to suffer this petty inanity recently. You all put it on this giant pedestal of the purest shimmering samite and chased silver so when it didn't meet your lofty expectations you suddenly get all butthurt and claim it was crap.

The same goes for Spore. You're all here bitching about how much of a letdown it was, but whose fault is that? Will Wright's fault for not making it as good as you wanted? No, it's YOUR fault for having impossible expectations and then whinging because it's not everything you assumed it would be.

Spore is a GREAT game, technically (if not graphically) brilliant and a whole lot of fun. It's not the super single-cell-to-space-age sim you were expecting, but it's well worth your time and dollar.

And the same goes for Ben's reviews. You're all having a cry because it doesn't cover points of a game, or doesn't address certain things, or doesn't sound like an impartial review. Well here's the thing - he's not here to write unbiased, impartial reviews of the good and bad points of games. His reviews are entertainment, because people like listening to an irate Englishman rip the shit out of games while making dick jokes. Take them for what they are, not what you think they should be.

TaboriHK

Sep 15, 2008
Mrmandude post=6.71753.739237 said:
I disagree ihave both the sims and spore and spore is soooooooooooooooooooooooooo much fucking better for a couple of reasons you get to control a entire race it's more interesting than the sims and you didn't mention the omnivore option but i agree that charels dickens would turn in his grave propoley
Take your keyboard and throw it away. It's only making you look silly.

The9mm

Jul 24, 2008
Nerdfury post=6.71753.739426 said:
The thing that shits me off about people here is that no one ever really seems smart enough to accept something for what it is, and instead applies disappointment for it not being what you wanted. Assassin's Creed was the most prevalent game to suffer this petty inanity recently. You all put it on this giant pedestal of the purest shimmering samite and chased silver so when it didn't meet your lofty expectations you suddenly get all butthurt and claim it was crap.

The same goes for Spore. You're all here bitching about how much of a letdown it was, but whose fault is that? Will Wright's fault for not making it as good as you wanted? No, it's YOUR fault for having impossible expectations and then whinging because it's not everything you assumed it would be.

Spore is a GREAT game, technically (if not graphically) brilliant and a whole lot of fun. It's not the super single-cell-to-space-age sim you were expecting, but it's well worth your time and dollar.

And the same goes for Ben's reviews. You're all having a cry because it doesn't cover points of a game, or doesn't address certain things, or doesn't sound like an impartial review. Well here's the thing - he's not here to write unbiased, impartial reviews of the good and bad points of games. His reviews are entertainment, because people like listening to an irate Englishman rip the shit out of games while making dick jokes. Take them for what they are, not what you think they should be.
qft the first three paragraphs

but yahtzee is a dick for putting a 15 sec no in his video and then not getting his shit together
it doesn't have to be unbiased
it just has to be on point
big difference

Muphin_Mann

Oct 4, 2007
I knew he would hate it and i figured he would review it. I personaly like Spore but then again i have a better grasp of the social mechanics than Ben seems to. I played an herbivore race that tore the shit out of the other races in the creature stage, lulled them into musical complacency in the tribal stage, and finished with a big heaping helping of aerial bombardments and ICBM launches. Which is far from the way he paints herbivores.

Now i would have liked more in the first few stages and less gameplay piled up in the Space stage, which is also the point the games gets bogged down and tries its best to stop you from expanding beyond a few planets.

juju21

Sep 19, 2008
I made the unfortunate choice of watching this video in my college's computer lab. By the time little Batman showed up the entire place was looking at me, the crazy girl rolling on the floor.

As always Yahtzee, hilarious.

Murriness

Jul 10, 2008
Yes! I had a feeling you would be doing Spore. Or maybe it was just wishful thinking because of all the wank over the game with it's securom and such. This just wraps it all up for me nicely because no one has really wanked about the game itself that I have seen. Though the fact it has Securom is enough to turn me off of it.

Enjoy your work, you always manage to make me laugh.

The Sound Defense

May 22, 2008
I'm playing through Spore right now and while it's pretty simplistic, the creature creation is still fun and it still manages to be satisfying. It's a game that will please a great deal of people and Yahtzee is not at all among them, just like Brawl.

Also, 16 seconds of no is too long for me. Could he not come up with enough material?

The Sound Defense

May 22, 2008
As far as expectations go, though, I think I have to agree with Yahtzee. Did anybody watch Spore's original revealing at GDC 2006? It was definitely a different beast back then, more substance, less charm. That's the game the gamers waited for, while during development the game seems to have turned around and become more for casuals.

Drift-Bus

Sep 17, 2008
Your my favourite man on the planet at this time.
Are you in need of a snivelling, hetreo, life-partner sycophant?

EDIT: I mean Mr Yaht. And I'm quitely worried about his review on Fable II, lest it ruin the game for me.

The Sound Defense

May 22, 2008
Bite me Rag. Yahtzee is not the ultimate standard regarding a game's quality. I have every right to disagree with his opinion and offer my two bits. I said that Spore pleased me, so what I say is based on my open opinion, what the hell do you want?

FSK405K

Apr 21, 2008
Yahtzee forgot the funny this week. His Too Human review was classic, but a week later he extends out a "No" for the finale? Actually, I'm really surprised he didn't mention the DRM, as in "..if you're going to make something incredibly good that becomes frighteningly popular, MAKE SURE IT DOESN'T TURN YOUR FANS' COMPUTERS INTO INEFFICIENT REMOTE CONTROL SLAVES."

TaboriHK

Sep 15, 2008
Nerdfury post=6.71753.739426 said:

Hype hype hype. If this game wasn't hyped, it wouldn't be hated. Simple as that. But we had to hear for MONTHS and MONTHS that this game was going to change the way we thought about gaming, it was the second coming, yadda yadda. This is a problem Spore brought on itself. That's why I have no sympathy.