Zero Punctuation: Spore

Miniges

Aug 20, 2008
An eh review. I love spore and i'm still playing it obsessivly so I tried to be unbiasied watching the review because I would love yahtzee no matter what he was reviewing negativly. But the noo just felt like a famliy guy-esque time filler. Mabye he was running out of critisim? I don't know. And comparing it to the sims, in my opinion, is like comparing age of empires to halo. but i can see why people would make the comparison. Overall he can always get me chuckling [Picking up body parts like there was some sort of mid-air collision]. Keep up the good work Yahtzee, I love the shirt.

Miniges

Aug 20, 2008
MisterDevil post=6.71753.737910 said:
prozaker post=6.71753.737906 said:
i usually like the reviews, but this one sucked.

and since i dont have anything else to say, ill just fill the rest of my post with a useless attempt of being funny.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

try harder next time.

that was FUNNY
Nay, it was somthing right out of a family guy time sink.

Mark B

Nov 5, 2007
amodelmerol post=6.71753.735605 said:
It was good to know he didn't talk about the DRM shit.
While I realise its not part of the game play its worth about 10 seconds of that 15 second, NOOOOOOOOO, to mention that the DRM is a pile of steaming excrement.

Auroch

Aug 14, 2008
Miniges post=6.71753.738064 said:
MisterDevil post=6.71753.737910 said:
prozaker post=6.71753.737906 said:
i usually like the reviews, but this one sucked.

and since i dont have anything else to say, ill just fill the rest of my post with a useless attempt of being funny.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

try harder next time.

that was FUNNY
Nay, it was somthing right out of a family guy time sink.
Exactly. F-U-N-N-Y, in the "randomly generated by a family of manitees," sort of way, I grant you, but you can't expect everyone to do nonsequiter humor as well as Monty Python. Not even Monty Python did that.

Shadow-Knight

Sep 11, 2008
I've tried out the creature creator, and that seemed amusing, but I haven't yet tried the full game yet. Some people(Xplay) gave it a perfect score, while others show their disappointment with bad scores. My friend thinks the game is the best thing since sliced bread, so I don't exactly know if I would like it or not. I might try playing it once or twice, but thats probably it.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Mark B post=6.71753.738073 said:
amodelmerol post=6.71753.735605 said:
It was good to know he didn't talk about the DRM shit.
While I realise its not part of the game play its worth about 10 seconds of that 15 second, NOOOOOOOOO, to mention that the DRM is a pile of steaming excrement.
Meh, DRM is important, BUT I think that Yahtzee prefers to stick to the gameplay itself... I don't mind either way.

Evilpoppy

Mar 11, 2008
I enjoyed playing Spore three times. First time as a Carnivore -> Warmonger, Second time as a Herbivore -> Religious Nut, Third time as an Omnivore -> Capitalist Pig. As a mini sim it is quite good fun, but once you have exhausted the three options it gets boring.

Tried the space stage and drifted off.

Dogmeat T Dingo

Sep 4, 2008
I like Spore but the shallowness of it all bothers me. Yahtzee is spot on with the criticisms, the whole thing seems rushed and the phases up to the space sim are too short. And it WAS an incredibly ridiculous portrayal of evolution, it's like evolution as portrayed by Kent Hovind or Jack Chick or something.

Also, once you get to the space sim it gets incredibly boring, maybe I'm not playing right but I was expecting a galactic empire building sim with epic fleet battles and cunning diplomacy and the like. But this feels more like a space trading sim with all the complexity removed.

Pigeon_Grenade

May 29, 2008
Another Hit Yahtzee

(there was supposed to be underwater citys in this one, but was cut and stated to be in the Expansion)

SYSTEM-J

Aug 7, 2008
Does anyone know what the "How are you? I am fine." line was a reference to? I have a suspicion but it may be totally wrong.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
antronach post=6.71753.737881 said:
what were the 5 games he was talking about, i saw CnC, civilzation, WoW, but what were the other two?!@?
Cell stage: Pac-man/flOw (Although I'm pretty sure Spore was around first)
Creature stage: Diablo, apparently (I've not played it)
Tribal: A low-unit simpler RTS
Civilization: A low-complexity version of Civilization (obviously).
Space stage: Star Control 2, maybe...

Basically, I have to wonder if they didn't over reach themselves, even with ... 8? years development. After all, if they were trying to develop 5 seperate stages, and a normal game takes 2-3 years to get right, they should have taken 10-15 years! (yeah, EA was reeeeally going to allow that)

That said, cell stage is meant to be basic and its been explicitly stated that its designed to only take 10 minutes to play.

So, maybe 'only' 4 games - basically, it was shallow complexity or a longer process. MAybe they'll deepen it in Spore expansions, although I'll admit that is a weak defence (and I seriously don't feel like defending EA even though I like Spore).

SYSTEM-J

Aug 7, 2008
Also: Yahtzee, like everyone else, seems to have forgotten the plague of Sim games that followed the first SimCity, including SimEarth and SimLife [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SimLife] which is basically the same idea as Spore, only made 16 years earlier. I've heard Spore being called an innovative and original concept, which always baffled me because my first thought was, "Hasn't Will Wright already done this?"

Archereus

Aug 18, 2008
wtf you mean old crap??? if any thing he comes up with some thing new almost every episode, just his terminology and analogies stay the same but he still coems up with some thing funny every time, either way, i found it funny even though i never played spore, but i learned some thing new, i thought the game wasa pure plat former and it looked good in that contex. So thak you Yahtzee for bringing the game to a new light for me

Vitalix

Sep 27, 2007
The video was once just a review. Then ads appeared at the end, giving the review a false sense of length. Now we have to look at an ad at the beginning that's too fast to skip. All that plus a silly content diluting "nooooo" makes me wonder whether it's all worth the effort.

That being said, the review was fun. It brought a smile or two.

I wonder why he never mentioned Black and White.

Jaythulhu

Jun 19, 2008
Eugh. 6 hours and I still can't view the damned video. If it's the ads that're taking up all the download, then please, make them a seperate file. Or give a download link to just the yahtzee review.

[Edit: Hrmm. A defrag, deletion and reinstall of flash player and a deletion of everything in my temp file from command prompt, and I can watch the vid. Vista has some weird issues.]