Zero Punctuation: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II

Tanfastic

Aug 5, 2009
Nice one, love all these videos. I played the first for like an hour and couldn't get into it. I disagree with you on the clone wars movie though, if you get passed Anakin getting his new padawan and their random romance interest thing that looks like he'll kick Padme out, it's still awesome star wars junk... Who am I kidding? Jabba the Hutt jr.? His flamboyant uncle? T-T

The series on Cartoon Network isn't nearly as bad... And Battlefront 2 is one of my favorite games still! Episode 2 and 3 were good to imo, except the romance junk that ended up taking over most of the time.

Cyanide Christ

Feb 3, 2010
Not G. Ivingname said:
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
Did you play this game on the Wii like last time or did you go with the 360/PS3 one (as I assume you did)? Ironically, from what I understand from other reviewers that burned the HD console port to a crisp, that the game on the Wii is at least tolerable, even if it badly written and padded like the rest of the versians.
I rather doubt him making the same mistake again, and he shows a PS3-controller when referring to it as a game as opposed to learning to operate heavy machinery.

Anyway, I had a great laugh. I think Yahtzee's reviews where he lets the tsunami hatred flow freely offer the best entertainment.

mchoueiri

Jun 10, 2009
if your a true star wars fan you hate the prequels and force unleashed two looks boring and short

beema

Aug 19, 2009
hehehe good one.

I played the PSN demo, and while it was pretty fun slaughtering hordes of storm troopers, your character did feel WAYYYY too overpowered. There was no challenge to it at all. I had considered maybe it was only this way in the demo, but from all I've heard (elsewhere, not just here), it's like that the entire way through. I only died once from falling off a platform because I wasn't sure where to jump.

But even in the shortness of the demo, the game felt pretty dull and repetitive. As fun as it was, I don't think I could tolerate playing it for more than an hour. It was a novelty type of fun, not a really deep-seeded fun. Once the novelty wears off you are left with nothing.

ComicsAreWeird

Oct 14, 2010
Repetitive action, overpowered protagonist, terribly short.

Yep, if you liked the first game, you´ll LOVE TFU2.

Thick

Feb 10, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Thick said:
You can't make a statement like "it's still a good franchise" and then ignore a ton of the material that makes up the franchise.
Yes I can. The alphabet is full of vowels, if you ignore all the consonants. See?
That's dangerously close to the definition of denial. Thanks for proving his point.
By agreeing with him that it sucked? and that Padme and Annakin were wooden. Yeah....No, I don't see what you're on about.
But the alphabet ISN'T full of vowels.

If you have to ignore the presence of everything you think is shit in the Star Wars franchise, to pretend it doesn't exist, to DENY its inclusion in the franchise... there's more than one sort of denial is what I'm getting at. Burying things that you don't like and pretending they aren't a part of your little pocket universe is one of them.

McDonalds is a good restaurant if you deny everything except for the functioning soda fountain.

My marriage is a good one if you deny the constant fighting, screaming, and abuse.

I'm getting good grades in school if you deny those seven Fs and focus on that one B.

That is a brand new car because it has brand new floor mats, pay no attention to the smoke, smell, torn upholstery, and the clanking from the engine.

But far be it for me to force cognitive dissonance upon you.

Feb 13, 2008
Thick said:
Far be it indeed. I just think there's good in three movies that's ruined in other parts. You seem to be suffering from quite an awful set of problems. Perhaps you should look at how you seem to be holding conflicting ideas simultaneously, especially if your marriage is in that much trouble.

By the way, you can't actually force cognitive dissonance. That's a paradigm you create inside yourself from belief disconfirmation, among other reasons.

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
Antonio Torrente said:
Azaraxzealot said:
in the meantime, im going to spend my hard-earned money on good games like Just Cause 2 and Red Dead Redemption
Do you intend to finish Just Cause 2 100%? Because I do
because im a time-whore... no XD
but ill enjoy attaching people to random shit and laughing about it XD
why can't Force Unleashed 2 have that kind of fun? :D

FlameUnquenchable

Apr 27, 2010
Yep, hate this game, hated the first one, and everything this type of garbage stands for.
Thanks Yahtzee for putting it in better words than I could manage through a fuming rage about what Star Wars has become.

Dorian6

Apr 3, 2009
I completely agree with your assessment of the entire franchise. It's strange, the thing that sets Star Wars fans apart from fans of, say, Battlestar Galactica, is that Star Wars fans HATE Star wars and what it has become.

The horrifyingly shitty prequels, the Clone Wars, and dare I bring up the Christmas Special?

You will never love a woman as much as George Lucas hates his fans.

NixonsBack

Nov 9, 2010
Yahtzee you overly creative stallion never ever say the phase "super clue three deathstars together" again because George Lucas might over hear that statement and think its a good idea. I agree with this review, I bought the first the force unleashed and thought the plot, gameplay, and use of characters were all special Olympics retarded. So when I saw the force unleashed II eyeballing me lovingly from across the store begging me too give it another chance I swallowed my pride and rented the bastard. Well got two hours in before putting the controller and murmuring something about how at least the refined the shittiness.

Thick

Feb 10, 2009
Thick said:
Far be it indeed. I just think there's good in three movies that's ruined in other parts. You seem to be suffering from quite an awful set of problems. Perhaps you should look at how you seem to be holding conflicting ideas simultaneously, especially if your marriage is in that much trouble.

By the way, you can't actually force cognitive dissonance. That's a paradigm you create inside yourself from belief disconfirmation, among other reasons.
Those were all just examples. I'm not married and am no longer in school, nor do I dine regularly at McDonalds or drive a car such as I described.

You are right, the first three films are good. The problem is that the franchise has rotted, and you can't claim it is a good franchise while simultaneously acknowledging that most of its content is shit. The things that make a single project good, be it film or book or game, are different from the things that make a franchise good. Namely, a franchise is good if it is consistently placed in good projects. The Star Wars franchise is not, thus it is no longer, and probably never again will be, a good franchise.

Feb 13, 2008
Thick said:
You are right, the first three films are good. The problem is that the franchise has rotted, and you can't claim it is a good franchise while simultaneously acknowledging that most of its content is shit. The things that make a single project good, be it film or book or game, are different from the things that make a franchise good. Namely, a franchise is good if it is consistently placed in good projects. The Star Wars franchise is not, thus it is no longer, and probably never again will be, a good franchise.
As you're fond of examples, take Mario. He's been in some great games, and some really dreadful games.

Does it mean that all Mario games are rubbish because of Hotel Mario? Nope.
Does it mean that you're delusional if you expect the next Mario game to be superlative? Probably.
Does it mean there can't be any more good Mario games? No. There's a good chance that it'll be shite, but there's always a chance. If I hope that the next Mario/Sonic/Star Wars game is good, and choose to ignore the awful, awful garbage that's been dumped on the franchise, does that make me delusional? No.

Just makes me optimistic that we can have a return to form. I may still be fighting an uphill battle against those that will trot out the Holiday Special, but there's enough goodness in there to provide the means of a good story - by ignoring the insane canon that's been built up since it got popular.

You don't give up music just because Susan Boyle is at number one. Though it's often very tempting.

SFU2 was still a demo that I gave up on though. I'm hoping that one day someone will take the canon and run far away from Lucas, where they can feed it, care for it and make it sing proud again.

That's a dream, not a delusion.

Generalg28

Oct 8, 2009
I love Star Wars and this game is indeed a kick to mu groin. All my hopes and faith lay in the hands of Bioware.

Thick

Feb 10, 2009
Thick said:
As you're fond of examples, take Mario. He's been in some great games, and some really dreadful games.

Does it mean that all Mario games are rubbish because of Hotel Mario? Nope.
Does it mean that you're delusional if you expect the next Mario game to be superlative? Probably.
Does it mean there can't be any more good Mario games? No. There's a good chance that it'll be shite, but there's always a chance. If I hope that the next Mario/Sonic/Star Wars game is good, and choose to ignore the awful, awful garbage that's been dumped on the franchise, does that make me delusional? No.

Just makes me optimistic that we can have a return to form. I may still be fighting an uphill battle against those that will trot out the Holiday Special, but there's enough goodness in there to provide the means of a good story - by ignoring the insane canon that's been built up since it got popular.

You don't give up music just because Susan Boyle is at number one. Though it's often very tempting.

SFU2 was still a demo that I gave up on though. I'm hoping that one day someone will take the canon and run far away from Lucas, where they can feed it, care for it and make it sing proud again.

That's a dream, not a delusion.
You are so widely missing the point, you're in another timezone from it. To try to compensate for that, I will now speak slowly.

Not. All. Star Wars. Material. Is. Shit. You are justified in being a fan of the original movies, and I hear that a couple of the games are good, too.

But you claimed it was still a good FRANCHISE. A franchise is a concept, a mental accumulation of all the work done with an IP, and a franchise is only as good as the sum of its components. If the bulk of those components are shit, than the Franchise is shit. Even though the Star Wars franchise has become terrible, it does not negate the good qualities in those things that are good. The original films are still good, even though the franchise is shit. One of the games can be good, but the franchise is still shit. You can enjoy some of the traits of the sci-fi universe it portrays, but the franchise is still shit. The very next Star Wars game released may be awesome, but the franchise will still be shit.

The only way to restore the franchise of Star Wars is to have a huge paradigm shift followed by a time of consistent (not constant, consistent) good work as to balance away from the shit. At this point that would have to be like an eon.