Zero Punctuation: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II

AdrianRK

Jul 21, 2009
I personally love Star Wars and am a BIG die hard Star Wars fan and I hate all the star wars games that came out in the last 10 years and the prequels. The force unleashed is a HUGE middle finger to all us old school star wars fans from where i stand. The original star wars had the predominant idea of a mystical world where a small ill-equiped force fought a vastly stronger force of evil, but the goodness in their hearts gave them the power to pull it through. The idea of the force gave the whole universe a sense of magic and mystery. The manifestation of the force represented an inside to the character using it.
In the games the force got turned into mana basically, the force manifestations into spells, and the force users into godlike human bulldozers. This is complete bullshit. Who made these games completely missed the idea of star wars.

Antonio Torrente

Feb 19, 2010
niceguy191 said:
So wait... When you clone a Jedi the clone is as powerful as the original??? Well why the hell don't they make a Jedi clone army? In the first movie (by that I mean Ep. 1) they mention that the clones were altered to make them more obedient, so why not take someone (lets say Darth Maul) who is powerful AND a Sith by choice, clone him a bajillion times and make him follow orders really well. Or even alter them to be MORE powerful.

Forget the death star! Send down a Jedi army 10,000 strong and let them wipe the planet clean in a matter of days, leaving the planet and resources still intact. Who would be able to stand up to a huge Jedi army?? Maybe I'm just over-thinking this or something...
To be honest your idea is more logical and if I am an intergalactic conqueror I would have taken that approach

Antonio Torrente

Feb 19, 2010
for anyone who wants to know which actor Starkiller is based on here he is:

his name is Samuel Witwer. he also voiced him

Doinstuffman38

Dec 1, 2009
I quite enjoyed the game, to be honest. It's not the best title in the franchise *coughcoughrepubliccommandocoughcough*, but it was fun to play, and I look forward to the third one.

buffcode

Nov 23, 2010
diggy140892 said:
I have to agree that this game is the biggest insult to Star Wars fans, WHERE IS BATTLEFRONT 3!!!!!!!!!!!
Im with ya man!! This generation has seen a terrible lack of quality star wars games, With the exception of the Lego spin offs. The Jedi Knight Series was awesome on the PC, You'd think with all the power of the 360 and ps3 the would have come up with better than DUH FARSE UNLEASHED.

We Need
GTA Bounty Hunter- Fly to different planets capture people ect

BattleFront 3!!!! - with DECENT space battles, this is STAR WARS after all!

New Jedi Knight Game, not some god of war physics demo

New Single playa Knights of the Old Republic

TIE FIGHTER VS X-WING

kidigus

Nov 17, 2009
yeah the game wasn't that good, BUT...

I'm realy tired of being ripped on as a Star Wars fan, it seems my race is veiwed as one step above people who use riot-shields in MW2, and one step below the reincarnated guards of the the WWII concentration camps.

Straz

Jan 10, 2010
Rasputin1 said:
Is it just me or did the mic/his voice sound a little off?
Concur utterly, as a matter of fact I noticed it slightly in his castlevania video as well...
Ah well...

Jedted

Mar 13, 2008
I still like like Star Wars, i'm just crazy about it. There's plenty other mature sci-fi franchises out there.

sleekie

Aug 14, 2008
I have a question. Where can I get a pair of those boots from near the start of the video? It was cool and I have the desire to buy some.

eyedonutkair

Feb 6, 2009
Kulingile said:
eyedonutkair said:
Kulingile said:
eyedonutkair said:
Slimshad said:
Why have you been reviewing these kinds of games? Like you said in your EP, they're repetitive, and stink of filler before the Christmas season. Review some old games, at least they would be a trifle entertaining.
Agreed. Why not review less popular games that are actually fun to play. I'd give you a list of games I think should be reviewed, but I think I'll put out the flames before they're posted. >.>
Well didn't Yahtzee say that people didn't like it when he talked positively about a game, like his review of Psychonauts. Most people enjoy watching a game get torn to shreds.
Good point. In that case, however, why did he review a game that everyone already knew sucked? :p lol
Because, when Yahtzee reviews a game that everyone knows sucks or a game (like a JRPG) that everyone knows Yahtzee will hate, they expect the review to be hilarious cause then Yahtzee has more ammo to use against the game in order to rip the game a new one.
>.> There have been some games that people thought were good, and I have yet to see a thread with anyone other than fanboys not finding it hilarious.

kementari

Mar 18, 2008
Technically, the Zahn books were good too. I know nobody wants to acknowledge any of the books ever existed, but at least one of the dozens of authors knew what he was doing.

Chess Tyrant

Jan 5, 2010
AdrianRK said:
I personally love Star Wars and am a BIG die hard Star Wars fan and I hate all the star wars games that came out in the last 10 years and the prequels. The force unleashed is a HUGE middle finger to all us old school star wars fans from where i stand.

The idea of the force gave the whole universe a sense of magic and mystery. The manifestation of the force represented an inside to the character using it.

In the games the force got turned into mana basically, the force manifestations into spells, and the force users into godlike human bulldozers. This is complete bullshit. Who made these games completely missed the idea of star wars.
Pretty good summary of my opinion on the franchise: the best thing about Star Wars is the universe it's set in, and a couple of the adventures - the original trilogy, KOTOR, and the Zahn books.

There have been few good additions to the franchise, for two major reasons:

1) They treat the Force like D&D magic, and the actual magic of Star Wars is lost when they do this. Partly it's the setting: there's little to no point in being able to throw fireballs from your fists if fireball-throwing weapons are plentiful and available at easily affordable prices. The original Star Wars films did an excellent job of adapting magic to face this problem: they focused its abilities on foresight, knowledge, understanding, and the like. The Force added clarity to the Jedi's abilities, and physical manifestations of this were rare and powerful. Remember how amazed we all were when Luke deflected the three sting shots fired by Obi-Wan's drone in Episode V, even though he couldn't even see them coming? How his destruction of the Death Star was made possible by the non-material aspect of his powers, the focus, concentration, and connection to the Force? Meanwhile, Marek crashes Star Destroyers with a gesture, or runs around hacking through millions of people with huge storms of Force Lightning. Something is lost when you do this, and it's not just your low cheesiness factor.

2) The original timeline is far too cluttered. Luke Skywalker can't find time for coffee breaks anymore, since he's too busy saving the world. I know all these adventures have to be significant, but seriously, this is getting out of hand.
-Has anyone noticed that KOTOR was set FOUR THOUSAND YEARS before the movies? You don't have to involve anyone named Skywalker. There's 25000 years of history in Star wars, and most of it is pretty empty.* There's room for a hundred times as many bad authors and rubbish games that don't have to tarnish an entire generation's childhood memories.
-The galaxy is big, and the heroes don't need to save all of it. Couldn't we have stories focused on liberating one planet, or one cluster, from tyrants/Sith/etc? When hundreds of writers make their individual works each critical to the survival of the galaxy, it diminishes from the heroes we want to pay attention to. If Luke Skywalker (or, if you prefer, Anakin) isn't #1 on our list of people who saved the universe, someone's doing something wrong. By having so many extremely important stories set in the same period of time with heroes exhibiting fantastically greater (and thus cheesier) Force powers, it makes the most important heroes (and their most important adventures) insignificant and lame.

*Not to mention untold aeons before the Republic was even founded. I must admit, my favorite thing about KOTOR is the idea that Lucasarts created a game that, if it sucked, would not contaminate the timespan covered by the movies, and could thus be largely ignored. Want some ideas for storylines that fit the bill? How about a game based around founding the Republic 25000 years ago, throwing off your Rakatan oppressors? Since you can't leech off the existing franchise, it will have to be original and include characters we can relate to. Or one set on an outlying planet/cluster with a tyrannical government where one or more stranded Jedi have to escape/overthrow said government. Both of these are perfectly significant, but neither of them have to seriously impact the storyline, and if they suck, we aren't obliged to acknowledge their existence.

TL;DR: the two problems are that: (1) people overdo it on the physical aspects of the Force and somewhere lose the only thing that prevented it from being epically cliche and cheesy, which it now is. (2) people keep setting stories in an already-overfilled timeline, instead of following KOTOR's lead and trying to fill in 24500+ years of blank history.

As a result, we end up with stories and powers that ruin, obsolete and generally #$%^& up the original canon that we loved, and they're set in exactly the same time period, making it all the harder for us to pretend they don't exist, and relating them to characters we used to like.