Zero Punctuation: Star Wars: The Old Republic

MysticnFm

Jul 8, 2009
Grey Day for Elcia said:
ravenshrike said:
Grey Day for Elcia said:
DVS BSTrD said:
So apparently even if you chose ranged combat you still end-up spending a good chuck of the game fiddling with your lightsaber.
Ranged characters don't get lightsabers. At all. Unless you're referring to Jedi Sages who use force powers (magic) and happen to be holding a lightsaber they never use. Ever.
Not true, if your other instants are on CD and you need to stop someone in VS or Alderaan RIGHT NOW while you're in melee range, either of your saber slashes are useful.
Of course you can use your saber as a sage/sorc., but there's almost no reason to ever do so. You shouldn't be running out of force and there's no way every one of your 'spells' is on CD at once. Unless you're a shadow/assassin speced into balance or something, melee really never enters into a caster's vocabulary. Sort of like an elemental shaman in WoW.

My point was that the person I quoted was wrong--ranged characters aren't running around using a lightsaber. That's all.
...Did you all really miss the obvious sexual innuendo that DVS BSTrD intended?

John P. Hackworth

Sep 21, 2010
SaintWaldo said:
"Acapulco Gold" is a (largely outdated) slang term for high quality (also outdated) sensimilla marijuana. It's never "cut", since you don't cut weed, unless you're an asshole. It's also never transported overseas in condoms, seeing as a condom even stuffed full of the highest quality and price pot (which is from the Pacific Northwest of the US or the North Atlantic of Europe, or Afghanistan) would only carry maybe a quarter to a half of an ounce worth about $100-$200. If you had 3 condoms of "uncut" Acapulco Gold, you'd be carrying maximum $600 of drugs. Your international plane ticket surely would cost more than this and you could probably score the same shit at both ends of the trip, unless your destination is Utah.
Clearly you've never been to Utah.

FallenMessiah88

So fucking thrilled to be here!
Jan 8, 2010
The more I hear about this game, the more I wish that they had just made Knight Of The Old Republic 3.

Primus1985

Dec 24, 2009
Ah ha, always go to Yahtzee for the truth. No sugar coating here. :)

Ya know what I always wonder, what happens when The Escapist reviews a game and they recommend it and Yahtzee tells the truth and tears it apart? Any angry email's or threatening voice mails? LOL

Thank you very much Mr. Croshaw, I'll stick with Star Trek Online(which is always adding content, and DCUO. Dont know why he didnt like DCUO but I enjoy it, stick to a PVE server till your max and your fine. I guess for me its more the fantasy of building my ultimate hero and weaving him into the DC universe along side some of the greats, and kicking serious supervillian butt.

TheCaptain

A Guy In A Hat
Feb 7, 2012
I love that game like none before, but as per usual, his points of critique are almost spot on: That smuggler companion with the harpoon ability IS a major pain in the arse (and consequently has been staying on the ship since i got a second companion).

Can't complain about the stories tho. Can't help but wanting to play them all.

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
John P. Hackworth said:
SaintWaldo said:
"Acapulco Gold" is a (largely outdated) slang term for high quality (also outdated) sensimilla marijuana. It's never "cut", since you don't cut weed, unless you're an asshole. It's also never transported overseas in condoms, seeing as a condom even stuffed full of the highest quality and price pot (which is from the Pacific Northwest of the US or the North Atlantic of Europe, or Afghanistan) would only carry maybe a quarter to a half of an ounce worth about $100-$200. If you had 3 condoms of "uncut" Acapulco Gold, you'd be carrying maximum $600 of drugs. Your international plane ticket surely would cost more than this and you could probably score the same shit at both ends of the trip, unless your destination is Utah.
Clearly you've never been to Utah.
Yeah, I have. And I took Oregon bud with me. The residents thanked me. Your point?

Kymurix

Feb 25, 2012
i'm very happy Yatzee reviewed Old republic...tho it makes me slightly sad he picked Smuggler of all classes... i do agree that the space missions are all linear but they're good money in the end... all this review has told me what smugglers suck and not to play them if i ever go to the republic side

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
Yahtzee chooses the class focused on cover-based shooting... excuse me while I go laugh for a bit.

Okay, back. They must've changed it sometime after this, because you now get points appropriate to whatever choice you made even if you lose the dice roll and everyone else voted against you. I get the frustrations with the annoying linearity of the Moral Choice system though, knew you'd mention it before I started. Sadly by now it's Star Wars tradition- it's been around since the days of Jedi Knight on the PC.

A lot of the Dark choices seemed incredibly petty to me so I just stuck with whatever choice I liked or whatever builds relationship with my companion since that actually has a more immediate effect on gameplay. Try and build karma with the Companions you like personally, and leave the rest to rot on the ship with your annoying droid.

Not that I liked Corso Riggs that much when I tried the Smuggler. Idiot country hick thinks he's a fairy-tale hero and brings a grappling hook along for a long-range fight... but you can turn that off along with anything else a Companion does. You could even in Beta, the tutorial tells you around Level 10 I think.

Lots of flaws, but this has to be the best review Yahtzee's ever given to a MMORPG. I'm personally enjoying it more than I ever did WoW, but I'm a Star Wars geek so go figure.