Zero Punctuation: Star Wars: The Old Republic

schiz0phren1c

Jan 17, 2008
Scarim Coral said:
Oh man how did no one make a joke about "Han Solo" until Yatzee did? (Unless they already did and I didn't see/ hear it until now).
I wonder if his opinion would changed if he had a longer time to play it?
my smuggler is called Han Jobb Solow... :)

Kanatatsu

Nov 26, 2010
There were over 200 people on my server last night at about 7 pm central time. So yeah, not EVERY sever is a graveyard. In fact I'd doubt even most of them are.
200 people on a server at 7pm central is a graveyard server.

Kanatatsu

Nov 26, 2010
I doubt it. I played WoW for 6 years and have never seen more than 200 people in any faction capital at any time during the day. He's not saying 200 total, he's saying 200 on the fleet, per factions, which is a fraction of those actively playing at any one time.
No, that's not what he said.

ServebotFrank

Jul 1, 2010
Kanatatsu said:
I doubt it. I played WoW for 6 years and have never seen more than 200 people in any faction capital at any time during the day. He's not saying 200 total, he's saying 200 on the fleet, per factions, which is a fraction of those actively playing at any one time.
No, that's not what he said.
It's impossible to know how many people are playing on a server because the game only tells you how many people are around you. 200 in the fleet is pretty large. Normally I see 60-100 per planet and there are a lot of planets separate from each faction. Also consider the fact that there are a TON of servers. I hardly see any of them below the Heavy status.

Ixal

Mar 19, 2008
animehermit said:
There are a few bugs, but nothing game breaking, and nothing that would completely stop anyone from playing the game. As I said before, not everyone is experiencing FPS drops, I'm certainly not, neither is most everyone I know.

2 Raids at launch, both with 6 bosses each, with hard modes of every flashpoint in the game, is plenty of endgame content to hold the community over until March when 1.2 drops and we get a lot more stuff. WoW has gone the greater part of year on only 12 bosses, so now it's unacceptable to only have 12 in the first 3 months?
1. Tor has way more than "just a few bugs". It is very buggy, especially the end contend and many several of the bosses in the raids are bugged so hard that it is impossible to complete them (or the challenge is more to avoid bugs than to kill bosses)

2. What WoW had at start doesn't matter and using this argument is a sure way to identify Biodrones.
Tor has to compete with the MMOs currently on the market and that includes WoW as it is now in 2012. It also includes WAR, Rift, Lotr, EQ2, Aion, AoC, etc.
And compared to all of them Tor is outdated and lacking. Bioware simply ignored all the advances made in MMO mechanics and hoped that the story alone would make their MMO special, completely ignoring that the story ends at 50, thus providing no incentive to keep playing. ALso, the story only makes up 20% of the game. The rest is generic MMO grind or PvP which is laggy for many people.

No moveable UI, no dungeon finder tool, unbalanced and useless crafting, confusing auction house, etc.
All those things show how outdated Tor already is.

animehermit said:
2 million copies sold, 1.7 million subscribers.
Which is bad. Thats compareable with Dragon Age 2 so they could have had the same result with a single player RPG (Kotor 3) for much less production cost.
And considering that the story won't keep players continue to pay when they reach 50 expect a sharp drop in subscribers in 1-2 months.

daxterx2005

Dec 19, 2009
I hate Starwars, so by default I don't give a crap about any of the new games/re-re-releases of the films in 3D/comics/toys/anything else people give George hack Lucas money for.
Its always great to watch a video of Yahtzee cutting something down that you personally don't like to begin with.

Also, lol at "han solo" classic Yahtzee

sifffffff

Oct 28, 2011
Hopperdopper said:
Honestly, you're either one of the "official" bioware apologists or a very deluded person.
I'm shocked you didn't throw a UMADBRO in there too... And I'm the one who got a fucking warning.

Kanatatsu said:
There were over 200 people on my server last night at about 7 pm central time. So yeah, not EVERY sever is a graveyard. In fact I'd doubt even most of them are.
200 people on a server at 7pm central is a graveyard server.
200 on the fucking republic fleet. 70 - 80ish on all of the planets I joined. Sorry I didn't spell it out perfectly for you.

Zack Alklazaris

Oct 6, 2011
RaikuFA said:
Not playing this one till I know if its true that you get banned for being in a higher level than you're supposed to, and I'm really hoping its fake.
Totally fake, I've helped people in flashpoints when I'm 10 levels higher than them. Its exploiting that bans you. The only thing you lose for doing missions much higher than you is xp.

CapitalistPig

Dec 3, 2011
animehermit said:
CapitalistPig said:
Agree on all notes. Its like coffee vs tea. They each have pros and cons but I have a separate coffee maker for both of them. And I'll be damned if I ever put them in the same cup and call it a revolutionary new drink. Then again maybe that would work but I'm not going there. Point is story is for story games. MMO's are for excellent client support, grinding, quests (that no one honestly reads the background for and if you do well good luck to you sir/Madam), and gear. Oh, did I mention gear? Because percentage wise gear is about 99% of it. What do you care about more a patch opening up new story content or the newest gear, and GUI adaptations? Bioware has this monstrous game that is buggy and obviously getting a lot of bad press, yeah its new and I understand a lot of that stuff gets worked out quick which warrants a reprieve before we rip into them........oh wait they kinda declared themselves overload of the universe while sitting on a throne of skulls for their "revolution" in the MMO world. I'm sorry but a 1+n installment of Everquest with a new story line does not make you the best, and certainly not revolutionary.
I think you should wait and give the game a shot when they've incorporated some kind of free trial. You may be pleasantly surprised by what you see. They've said before that TOR is not revolutionary, but evolutionary. It doesn't discard the parts of MMOs that people dislike the most, but tries to, and for the most part, improve them.
So far my favorite of all time MMORPG's that I continually go back to are actually Free to Play (but im extremely picky with those too), where innovation isn't dead and the casual gamer can still find a home (like me.) They only exist because the true hardcore gamers keep using the premium items, therefore they understand that innovative content must develop along side story content or else the big guys just get bored and server population drops off. And when that happens you're screwed. I mean WOW just incorporated re-skinning (and they called it something stupid) a month or so back but has had like what 4 expansion packs? That's been on every one I've seen since 2008 if not earlier. If thats the kind of customer service these companies give in the past it certainly doesn't inspire me for the pay per use MMO's of the future. The fact that its actually launching in similar fashion shows me its just another behemoth of money/time gobbling slime to be avoided. The funny thing is all of the pay per use MMO's I've played actually have all the same problems I had with the crappy free to play ones. Which is mostly lousy production values, poor GUI (thats the biggest for me), and all around too much focus on questing. And as far as the difference between evolution and revolution, while that applies to the real world here in lala land thats the same thing. The point is they had a bad reception to start and instead of trying to fix it they snubbed their noses at the consumers and said "well we're different." Like their some mentally disturbed artists or something. And no offense but your response sounds like an Ad for Bioware.

Ixal

Mar 19, 2008
animehermit said:
That's funny I've done both raids and haven't experienced any bugs at all.
Denial doesn't help. Many people have.
I never mentioned what WoW has to start with, because, in fact wow had almost no endgame content when it launched. I said wow has gone the better part of a year on 12 bosses. It's only got 12 right now, and the same happened with the end of Wrath.
And the Biodrone detector goes off.
Also, Wow had a lot more than just 12 bosses.
Story doesn't end at 50, for your information, there's tons of story stuff post 50.
You have a strange definition of "story". See below.
20% of the game? Are you serious? I don't even know why i respond to this.
Because you are a fanboy who wants to defend "his" game.
You get 1 story quest and 5-6 generic go/kill/fetch quests. Still voiced, but not part of the story. And when you level a 2nd character you have to do the same generic quests again in order to get the 1 new story quest. And even the story quests send you into the exact same area, just with a different objective to click.
Movable UI is coming next month. There won't ever be a dungeon finder tool, mostly because it destroys server community, it's part of what killed wow for a lot of people. Crafting isn't useless and it certainly isn't unbalanced. I'll admit the AH is a tad tiresome to use, but it's not impossible. All of these are really minor things in such a big game.
Rose tinted glasses.
All crafting is useless for products (quest rewards are better than them at equal level) and with the sucky AH you can't sell them anyway. The only useful crafting disciplines are Biotech and to a lesser degree Cybertech because of their much stronger end game benefits compared to all the others.
And finding a group in Tor is much harder than it needs to be, even without server wide dungeon finders, thanks to Biowares outdated mechanics and super small instances.
1.7 million subscribers is the second highest among subscription based MMOs. It's also the fastest growing MMO in the history of the genre. You can shoot off all the hatred you want. Doesn't change the FACTS.
Facts are that those are numbers before the 1st month was over. The reality now looks much different.
In another 1-2 months there will be a massive drop in subscription numbers because people have finished their story and won't level more characters (thats what BW hoped, that people would be so fascinated by the story that they would level numerous characters and thus not notice how much the end game is lacking).

Labcoat Samurai

Feb 4, 2010
Raithnor said:
Kaliyo has the same ability for the Agent. It's more useful for Operatives because she brings the ranged guys to you who'd you normally have to chase down. Since you have the stealth field generator, you have time to setup your combo in advance and your companion is right next to you.
Interesting. Yeah, I could see that.

I run a Sith Juggernaut so I generally don't use the tanks unless I want conversation affection points. One thing I've found effective is to have the healing or tanking companion attack the enemy next to the one I'm attacking. When I run Quinn I turn off his blaster attacks and just have him hold one of the other enemies.
I run tanking/dps companions a lot with my juggernaut because I can kill faster that way. If you let your companion take almost all of the heat, you can dismiss and resummon to get them back to full health, which is a lot faster than taking the heat yourself and letting Quinn heal you. I don't actually run Broonmark very often, but it is convenient that he uses almost exactly the same gear that a juggernaut does, so he's easier to gear than the other companions.