Zero Punctuation: Super Mario Galaxy 2

Meggiepants

Not a pigeon roost
Jan 19, 2010
The slapping bit was a nice touch. As well as the Bowie references.

Also, I learned something new. You over in Britain use the term "Overtake" instead of "Passing?" I'm guessing that since Yahtzee is British born his terms probably come from there and not the Outback, but I could be wrong.

sephiroth1991

Dec 3, 2009
I can't agree more, i used to love games like Call of Duty but now it's become so common i might as well hold out for like seven games and only then will it have improved slightly. Mario is one the reasons i didn't get the wii, why buy a console with only one or two games its madness i tell you.

Boaal

Dec 30, 2008
Funnily enough, I was drinking wine while watching this...
Also i love the text adventure (Am I the only who read it? No I ca';t be arsed to look at old comments yet).

And yes.

As a longstanding Nintendo fan I am BORED BORED BORED of having Metroid and mario shoved down my throat every six months. Oh god if nintendo could find it within themselves to do something interesting and different.

NO. Guitar hero is not interesting and different. Wii sports is not interesting and different. Mario party ...16? Is not interesting and different. Some stupid lame attempt at a donkey kong themed music game is not interesting and different. As well as they make these games, as fun as they are, I'm getting so fucking bored.

I would hope against hope that nintendo do something original again. But I doubt that will happen.

Armanox15

Nov 9, 2009
I have to say 2 things:
#1 - So... The "cake" is a lie. hmmmm
#2 - I really want some "cake" on my next birthday!

jamescorck

Jan 25, 2010
Now that was a review where I was not surprised. I called Yahtzee would label Mario Galaxy 2 as an stagnation of the franchise, but what surprised me is that he ended up admitting it was fun. So I will follow his request/advice. I am going out to the beach this weekend. I haven't done that in years.

shinrigaku

Sep 30, 2009
Although I can agree to the assertion that SMG 2 definitely had the feel of "bring in the new people" from the packaging, I must say that most casual players will not be getting the first 120 stars. Some of those levels are incredibly frustrating, though nothing beats the first "Luigi on Mario" level from SMG 1 for sheer frustration.

Red Hood

Sep 3, 2009
That was the funniest review yet. It's all so true though. So you can't even complain that he's over exaggerating it.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Pilkingtube said:
I don't get how people could have watched a 5 minute video in 2 minutes 0_o

Either way loved it as usual, more Rebecca Mayes references plz, she wants to give you.. cake.
I can imagine their date now, she'd make him wear http://www.firebox.com/product/2075/3rd-Space-FPS-Vest?via=cat and take him to his Mana bar for some MW2... I wonder how that vest would feel after a nuke :p

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Hmmmm "cake".

Anyway, I personally enjoyed Mario Galaxy 2, but I have to agree with Yahtzee that it did seem rather odd that no one in the game seemed react to the fact that Bowser seemed to be pulling the exact same stunt he pulled in the first Mario Galaxy. It makes me wonder, as in the first Mario Galaxy, why Bowser even kidnapped Peach this time. If he was out to create some big galactic empire, there would be nothing to gain from kidnapping a princess from one small insignificant planet. The only explanation I can think of is because he wants Mario to try and stop him. In both Mario Galaxy games, Mario wouldn't have even been aware of Bowser's plans for galactic conquest if he hadn't bothered to stop by and pick up Peach, but because he did Mario was like "Uh oh, looks like I gotta rescue the princess. ...again." So yeah, I'm guessing it's all part of the old hero/villain rivalry thing.
Anyway, I did enjoy the game even if some of the comet challenges are console stompingly frustrating. And I HATE that chimp.

Frozengale

Sep 9, 2009
I think it was around the time I started playing Mario and Luigi Partners in Time when I realized that this is all some sort of sick and twisted game for Mario, Bowser, and Peach. I mean they've been playing this same exact game since they were babies. I'm pretty sure all three of them are in on it and it's just some way for them to avoid doing actual work. Bowser puts on a facade of being big and evil, finds some way to terrorize Mushroom Kingdom and then just waits it out. Mario pretends to be the hero when really he just wants to cause some chaos, and Peach just wants to do nothing all day.

EDIT- Oh and also, the best part of Super Mario Galaxy 2 is at the start when Bowser becomes giant and suddenly he can fly. Being Giant = Flight in the Mario Universe, remember that kiddies.

starwarsgeek

Nov 30, 2009
really? Complaining about the plot in a Mario game, where the story is the least important aspect of the experience? Complaining about a slight flick of the wrist, as if the Wii were asking you for a full-on, arm waving pseudo workout? Complaining that a sequel has the same basic formula as its predecessor? This is new, exciting, and refreshing for Yahtzee!

PS. The cake joke was funny...as was the slapping