Zero Punctuation: Super Mario Galaxy 2

DeathWyrmNexus

Jan 5, 2008
lfielding02 said:
Im posting for the thrill takes comes after getting high on energy drinks, getting laid and having a damned fine time of myself.

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD - my girlfriends earlier remark.
Your girlfriend sounds as cool as my wife. I salute your good fortune and may the love never die, good sir. *salutes*

akwehhkanoo

Nov 18, 2009
Maybe it wasn't clear in the game but I heard it said in some sort of Nintendo press conference, this mario galaxy was meant to be a sort of alternate timeline to the first mario galaxy

MowDownJoe

Apr 8, 2009
Nice Simpsons reference, but I think alot of people will disagree with when The Simpsons started to go bad. I, personally, say the 10th season was their last good season.
I still need to pick up Super Mario Galaxy 2. It's been a while since it came out.

DJShire

Sep 27, 2008
The slapping part was the stand out for this episode, because sometimes its the mental image that gets really you. Overall this is one of the funniest ones he's done in a while.

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
Speaking of stagnation: I guess people don't care that he's basically used the same joke for the 25th time or something. This is why I facepalm when people take Yahtzee as a serious critic rather than a comedian...

Enlong

Dec 24, 2008
Wait, so if variety is the spice of [games], and repetition is the starch, then that means, as per a previous metaphor, it's not good to have an excessive amount of variety, as that's like eating spoonfuls of the spice straight from the jar.

So the best balance is clearly a little variety to spice up what would otherwise be repetitive additions to a franchise. Like the switching settings in the Mario games, or, in the case of NSMBW or Galaxy 2, new worlds and powerups.

So... this IS a good game? I am confused!

AdamRBi

Feb 7, 2010
Must... not... try to defend game...

Argh what's the use. Fanboy mode engage.

Nintendo's Mario franchise, excluding the RPGs, have never been story intensive outside Mario rescues princess and/or Yoshis. I understand this irks people because of the nature of games as a storytelling medium. The thing is though this should not ruin a game wholesale, because even if the story's consistant at least it's good, or not bad at least. Keeping the story simple, Hero rescues Princess from Dragon in _________ setting with the help of __________, is fine by me so long as the controls are good, visuals charming, and experience gratifying. The Paper Mario and Mario RPG series have done a great job in the storytelling department, but I don't see that transitioning well to a Platforming Mario very easily without making a mistake or two, something I think they're playing safe with since this is their biggest IP.

Does this mean they shouldn't? No, because I would love to see a Mario Platformer written by "Intelligent Systems," the company behind Paper Mario.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm kind of in the mood for cake now.

cauby

Apr 27, 2010
wow,this review was much funnier than those of the last weeks.And the face slapping was hilarious!Good job Yahtzee

Enlong

Dec 24, 2008
AdamRBi said:
I would love to see a Mario Platformer written by "Intelligent Systems," the company behind Paper Mario.
What about Super Paper Mario? IS wrote that one, and the gameplay is mainly platformer, with a few RPG elements.

Towowo2

Feb 6, 2009
Roflcopter419 said:
That was amusing, but it bugs me that everyone here seems to comment on how much they hate Mario just because he does.
I just assumed people did it because it was the cool thing to do nowadays.
Nintendo is good at two things, Making oodles of money and making games that are fun to play. Mario is timeless.

MasterChief892039

Jun 28, 2010
This is why I like Wednesdays.

Although I agree Mario Galaxy 2 wasn't particularly innovative, it was nice and polished and a good play (like all Mario games). Besides, my boyfriend bought it for me, so no money out of my pocket.

SomethingAmazing said:
Must....resist...portal joke....
Gotcha covered.

AdamRBi

Feb 7, 2010
Enlong said:
AdamRBi said:
I would love to see a Mario Platformer written by "Intelligent Systems," the company behind Paper Mario.
What about Super Paper Mario? IS wrote that one, and the gameplay is mainly platformer, with a few RPG elements.
Decent Point, though I was talking about the 3D Platformers as I'm sure you're aware. While I didn't like it as much as the first two, Super Paper Mario was a great game. It's more of a RPPGRole Playing Platform Game, it had more to the RPG element to it then standard Mario Platformers.

NolaSoundman

Nov 4, 2008
Same fucking game we've played since 1986 but now with 2 more shades of GREEN!!! JEEZUS! I've been waiting for Yahtzee to rip this game a new one.

J-Alfred

Jul 28, 2009
Time for awkward Portal jokes!

"...but there's no sense crying over every mistake:
you just keep on trying 'till you run out of... cake."

and

"...anyway, this... cake... is great,
it's so... delicious... and... moist?"

erm... forget that.

Nice video, very funny, but I'd be lying if I didn't stroke my own ego by saying I called this video. And it's not even because I'm clever like Yahtzee; I played Mario Galaxy, I played Mario Galaxy 2, and the first thing I noticed was "haven't I done this all before?".

Congratulations, Nintendo. Between the WiiBlank games, the New Super Mario Bros., and Mario Galaxy 2, you have found a way to make money from selling blatant copies that require less time to make then the original Super Mario Bros.

I used to admire you.