Zero Punctuation: Super Mario Galaxy 2

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Well it's always ideal to have variety over time, but when a developer consistently manages to screw up each and every sequel to an original brilliant game, it gets to the point where you just wish they WOULD re-release the original on a current system, so we can all just play it again and be content that it's the only game in the series ever.

Lord Thodin

Jul 1, 2009
Anyone else wonder if he actually slapped himself, or just smacked like his hands together or something?

Grand_Marquis

Feb 9, 2009
Welp, looks like I'm gonna have to go out this weekend and do something new. But I appreciate your grudging acknowledgment of its fun-ness in spite of how much you loathe Mario games. :D

PS: I LOVED the text adventure screen, that was hilarious.

Caligulove

Sep 25, 2008
DarthNader26 said:
Did anyone else actually stop the video and go watch the SMG review while gleefully imagining Yahtzee slapping himself the whole time you're watching it?

;D
Yes! That and it was an excuse to watch some old ZP

Rift Reilous

Mar 30, 2010
Appreciated the David Bowie references in the credits. My response to Nintendo is found in David Bowie's aptly titled song "It's No Game (part 2)": "being insulted by these fascists is so degrading."

Kenkaku

Nov 7, 2007
Zing said:
There needs to be some fucking story. Yeah it's a game for casuals and children, but they could at least make an effort using the current characters. But they don't even bother.
Remember what happened when Modern Warfare 2 tried to include a story?

That's right: it became a ramrod linear experience that could be completed in a single sitting, and the game had to try (bold and underline the word 'try') to add varying levels, but couldn't do much without going against the flow of the story.

The lack of story in games like Mario is what allows them to excuse such absurd level designs, as well as why there's so many of them. All adding a story does is limit creativity, as well as bog down the experience. Nobody's going to want to play any story-based game if it tries to cram in the number of levels you see in a game like Mario (about 120 of them).

That said: if you've ever considered becoming a game designer, don't. You clearly don't have any grip on making a fun game if your immediate thought is 'story = better'.

Noggy

Jul 25, 2008
Does this mean that whenever some idiot is yells at me: "The Cake is a Lie!" They're really telling me that their girlfriend doesn't put out?

Luke Cartner

May 6, 2010
flosy said:
Since this is an inevitable meme I'm just going to say the cake is a lie here.
I was actually quite shocked that ZP wasn't building up to that punchline in his review..
Maybe it was too easy..

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
Was the reason the screen blacked out because the sound of you "slapping yourself" was actually you using some... "cake"?

arsenicCatnip

Jan 2, 2010
lwm3398 said:
Is that the whole plot of every Mario game? Cake? I never noticed that, I always thought it was just some random party...

This makes me look at the Mario series in a whole new way...
Same here. Princess Peach's ... 'cake'... must be something pretty spectacular.

Belbe

Oct 12, 2009
Haha, it was to be expected. I mean I enjoyed Galaxy, and sure it was a well made game, but I just can't seem to find it as fun as the more hardcore Nintendo fans. Nice review, kinda figured it'd just be more of the first one.

heartburnkid

Dec 13, 2009
I agree totally. The fact that Nintendo keeps shoveling out the same game over and over truly shows that the Wii can't compete with the other platforms. Incidentally, has anybody else played Modern Warfare 2 lately? Isn't that awesome and not at all a complete knock-off of the first one? And I just can't wait for Half-Life 2 Episode 3, which, too, is totally original.

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
Kenkaku said:
Zing said:
There needs to be some fucking story. Yeah it's a game for casuals and children, but they could at least make an effort using the current characters. But they don't even bother.
Remember what happened when Modern Warfare 2 tried to include a story?

That's right: it became a ramrod linear experience that could be completed in a single sitting, and the game had to try (bold and underline the word 'try') to add varying levels, but couldn't do much without going against the flow of the story.

The lack of story in games like Mario is what allows them to excuse such absurd level designs, as well as why there's so many of them. All adding a story does is limit creativity, as well as bog down the experience. Nobody's going to want to play any story-based game if it tries to cram in the number of levels you see in a game like Mario (about 120 of them).

That said: if you've ever considered becoming a game designer, don't. You clearly don't have any grip on making a fun game if your immediate thought is 'story = better'.
What? Remember when Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare tried to include a story? It was one of the best games ever made. That is the biggest copout of an excuse if I've ever seen one. What does absurdity of story level design have to do with story? It's still a game set in a mythical world about a plumber, they can easily add a ton of story.

Mazar_Nomoid

Jun 30, 2010
Nice video yahtzee but now I have to go out and do something I've never done before...maybe I'll go find some "Cake"