Zero Punctuation: Super Mario Galaxy

beoweasel

Nov 26, 2007
Is anyone else getting seriously tired of the comment wank? I know I am.

It seems whenever Yahtzee makes a review, a thousand people hastily make accounts so they can all rush in and say Yahtzee is wrong, that he's not funny, or that he's a terrible reviewer, or they just whine and rant about how anyone could possibly point out flaws in their precious, precious games.

People get so hung up on the flaws that he points out, that they generally miss the part where Yahtzee says he enjoys the game (And by that point, they're probably frothing at the mouth with indignant fanboy rage, because how could anyone have a different opinion about than them? :O). Its not wrong for Yahtzee to point out the flaws, he SHOULD point out the flaws, no game is perfect and its far more lazy to just lavish these titles with perfect scores and treat them like classical works of art, than to say, "Okay, its a good game, but I noticed some problems."

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
...and Psychonauts.

Seriously, what's the big deal? It's nice to have ONE reviewer actually point out issues where all other reviewers ignore or try to excuse them. He did say he liked it, so getting upset that he nit-picks after that is a sure sign of medium to severe fanboyism and/or angst.

RareAddict

Sep 9, 2007
Nice review, Yahtzee. It's certainly one of the few reviews that I agree with almost completely (though like Wraithfighter said, I've enjoyed them all nonetheless).

rhizic

Nov 14, 2007
i was having withdrawal symptoms over christmas, so thank god this was a excellent review, ahh i'm all sedated now. hum so yahtzee's left handed eh? thats considored a sign of evil in many civilisations ya know.

dv8withn8

Sep 26, 2007
See, I take Zero Punctuation as less of a review (though it makes good points from time to time) and more as entertaining satire. So, to me, this episode sort of fell flat in the humor department. I dunno, maybe it's the subject matter. Is it really all that funny that Mario never gets any from Peach? I never expected it in the first place. It's a Mario game after all. Let me try explaining in other terms.

Let's say your mom contracted AIDS through a needle accident at the hospital she works at. Being so, AIDS really isn't all that funny to you. You can see the humor in someone's joke about AIDS and you almost want to laugh but you just can't bring yourself to it. That's what this episode felt like.

That example is a little extreme perhaps but it's the first thing that came to mind. Anyone see where I'm coming from and feel the same?

Nov 15, 2007
It's a little disturbing how much I missed my Zero Punctuation fix over the past week. Not enough people take the piss out of Mario. Bravo, Yahtzee.

METALDRAG0N

Dec 29, 2007
I completed this game few days ago got all 120 stars and the bonus it gives is simple but suprisingly chalenging.

Basically youget to play from the beginning allover again exept you play as Luigi and he runs faster jumps further etc but he stops like mario does on ice so be carefull with your running!!!!

This has made all the levels harder especially the Black hole worlds.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
beoweasel said:
Is anyone else getting seriously tired of the comment wank? I know I am.

It seems whenever Yahtzee makes a review, a thousand people hastily make accounts so they can all rush in and say Yahtzee is wrong, that he's not funny, or that he's a terrible reviewer, or they just whine and rant about how anyone could possibly point out flaws in their precious, precious games.
Yes. It's almost as tiring as reading an equal number of posts complaining about those people.

taiki

Nov 21, 2007
Should I point out yes, Mario has done the equivalent to Jason vs Freddy in Mario and sonic at the Olympics?

Chis

Nov 28, 2007
Russ, have you added this review to the ZP page yet? Because even after clearing my browser cache, I'm still not seeing it here:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/zeropunctuation/

Excellent review as always, Yahtzee. Top work.

VeryOblivious

Dec 2, 2007
8Track said:
I want to play this Mario Galaxy with the horrible camera angle. Mine seems perfect, and you may wanna take the lead weights of your Wiimote as waggle isn't exactly a taxing exercise.

Another interesting comment, is how you explain all the different spin-offs in to Mario franchise, that involve the characters off Go-Karting, playing tennis, ramming pills in peoples mouths, but then later on explain that Mario does nothing different.
Super Mario RPG was different... And that's the only spinoff I can think of that was actually clever. I mean, my little brother can also come up with: "X was a fireman, now he's a policeman, tomorrow he'll be an astronaut and in three days he'll be a dad". Come on, that doesn't need any talent.

OrenA

Sep 14, 2007
Hehe, my like Wednesdays.

Although I dunno, the shifting Gravity and shaking of the Wiimote were some of my favorite parts about Galaxy, and maybe I'm just not as good as Yahtzee, but the final boss fight for me was really f*cking hard.

I do agree about the creepiness factor of feeding those puff guys a bunch of stars to make them transform, sometimes into a mushroom for you to eat. Ew.

the_carrot

Nov 8, 2007
Lucien21 said:
Wow, this is getting seriously tiresome.

Is there anything this guy actually likes?

He's not paid for objective reviews, he's paid to rip games to pieces. He revels in the fun of dismantling years of development as he takes one of the games of the year and throws it to the lions, The fevered crowd wait for the carnage.

All hail Caeser.
I'm all for it, rip it to pieces. If you don't agree with some or all of his review, and perchance like the game, you don't have to let his review affect that. And if any part of it rings true, perhaps you could acknowledge it, even if it is perhaps minor. Those criticisms may be valid and not destroy the entire game. I guess I would criticize his criticism only in that, same old same old can be good. Little to no stress, easily adaptable, and there need not be a revolution every day for man to get anywhere good. Though the comparison is like comparing apples to WWII, I feel as though it has some pertinence. but meh. Good review, I laughed, keep writing, I'll keep reading.

laikenf

Oct 24, 2007
Good review, but I think he got the gravity part wrong because that's exactly the whole apeal of the game (the way gravity affects gamplay). I mean, honestly, if you take that away from SMG then what will be so special about it?

Wildcard6

Dec 14, 2007
Details, details. This ZP made me laugh more than the last few, probably because I'm playing the game (and really enjoying it.)

-Adam

Annom

Nov 7, 2007
Good review... Never played smg (and probably won't anytime in the future) so I can't/won't judge it.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Chis said:
Russ, have you added this review to the ZP page yet? Because even after clearing my browser cache, I'm still not seeing it here:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/zeropunctuation/
Looks like there was a minor error in the page. Should be good now. Thanks for the catch.