Zero Punctuation: Super Smash Bros. Brawl

TZer0

Jan 22, 2008
That was awesome.. Yeah, unlockables are a pain.. I've noticed that when I've been testing games in public places. "where are all the characters?"

I've tried Brawl.. my friend owned me at it, but it was fun nonetheless (what isn't more fun than hurling someone into the camera or scenerey?).

Punishmentor said:
2nd!!!!! would have been first but had to sign up my account lol :( o well, 2nd is good 2
Another person deserving a ban.

AccoSpoot

Apr 23, 2008
I was only looking forwards to this game to see Snake in ZP style :p Great review as always Yahtzee.

gabrieldevue

Mar 12, 2008
Again this was really worth Hitting F5 for some minutes now (I am sorry, Escapist Traffic ;) ), no, but seriously: I especially liked the endpart and the smashing Typo.

But again, I had to listen twice to get most of it and I am still very looking forward to a transcript.

Thank you again.

Personally I like the ZP reviews better, where there is more of, mh, deeper game critique, some positive sides and not 4 awesome minutes of bile and disgust (one could really feel it), but that is my personal view and yes, the rambling part in the other reviews is mostly much more fun.

edit "deeper game critique" doesnt really say what I mean. more... 'equal* with good sides as well to really contrast the bad parts. But I really understand how this is not possible here :D

Headwound

Apr 23, 2008
Hah! It's funny cause it's true. Don't get me wrong, I love Brawl, but seriously, the single player made me want to bore my eyes out with a rusty-screwdriver.

Kermi

Elite Member
Nov 7, 2007
I'm sad to say this is the first Zero Punctuation review I didn't enjoy. not because I feel the need to defend my Wii purchase, I'm well aware the modest white obelisk has been gathering dust since a week after Resident Evil 4 was released on it and I got tired of rescuing the president's daughter on a jetski - a scenario I never imagined would grow tiresome before performing it but twice.

Sadly, the review swayed further from vitriolic mockery of the games flaws and more to what I feel was rather unnecessary hatred for the game, the console, fans of the game and people who visit the Escapist once a week to hear some well-connected words they can then proceed to abuse verbatim until the next pussy-slurping installment. I felt as though I was some sort of bottom-feeding, scum-sucking waste of human life for daring to click the play button and can't help but feel offended by this unwarranted assault even though I fall squarely outside the target area of this verbal bombardment.

SoupsMan

Apr 23, 2008
Great review. When I first played the game I thought it was great. Then after an hour or so of play my friends also went to unlock characters. That made the reviews of 10 out of 10 I have been seeing of the game a bunch of...was it c*nt gargling b.s.? Game is a solid 6 or 7 just for the 1 player aspect alone ruins the fun any of the game would have. I would give it more of a good game then a meh, but we all know how Yahtzee is.

The Anonymous Mr P

Apr 17, 2008
Superb, just superb. Particularly the Bill Murray gag.

Great work. I'll probably end up picking up the game after they spend 9 months checking the game script for the word "spaz", but still, excellent points are made, and I'll probably think more about laying down my not-so-hard earned cash.

Perhaps at GAME TRADERS ROBINA.

Feb 15, 2008
So much hate in one review... So much hate...

Alas, I have no Wii, but I've played SSB on the N64 and I must say that it's one of the best console multiplayer games ever. I mean, we would play 10 minute rounds for six hours straight and we would probably play it even more wouldn't we have to eat/sleep and occasionally drink...
But having to unlock the 2 characters everybody was mostly looking forward to was probably the worst move Nintendo could have made.

I have only 1 critic related to your review and that is the inclusion of Soul Calibur among the 3 examples of button mashers. The game is hardly a button masher, and I've found out that winning against someone who actually knows how to play the game is nearly impossible if you're a novice.

All in all, I like this review, your arguments are backed up, and that's what's important.

Zera

Sep 12, 2007
Garfgarog said:
Haven't watched the video yet and I can already see that this board once again attracts total idiots.

Guess that's the be expected by now though.
Tell me about it.
Nintendo actually made this game to not be taken seriously and thats what so great about it. And yes the Single Player was dissappointing in the end but the did put a bit of work into it. I'm all up for unlocking characters, but not when it has to be the games selling points.

renard

Feb 5, 2008
I got the game last week and I played with some friends and it was really fun but...
GOD! YOU SPEAK TRUTH ABOUT IT!
The camera is sometimes too far from the action (shakes fists at "new pork city" or "m75" levels), sonic and snake are locked from the begining, there are some pointless characters (lucas sucks and so do marth and jigglypuff) and it's full of clones (yes, I'm looking at the starfox trio)

Anyway, I prefer those simple controls to learn how to do 10 fucking special movements pressing a 100 buttons sequence in the right order and timing, the objects are cool and the soundtrack is excelent.

Kinokiro

Apr 23, 2008
Just so you know Yahtzee: Marth is a character from another great Japanese game that they're never going to release anywhere else... Though I must say during Subspace Emissary, the whole reference to Mother 3 was fairly confusing, considering I've never heard/seen anything about that game til then.

Edit: Renard, they removed Roy to make room for Ike ;) Roy was pretty much a powered up clone of Marth... so Nintendo took the opportunity to pimp out the newest Fire Emblem game.

the_tralfalmadorian

Jan 11, 2008
i personally enjoy smash bros, but then i play i only play it with my flatmates, and never bother with the single player. definitely a game to not take seriously, or spend more than a few matches at a time playing.

oh well, good review, though filled with more hate than any of the others i've seen.