Zero Punctuation: Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Kinokiro

Apr 23, 2008
Garfgarog said:
Turns out, 'single player' can be played by two people simultaneously, which makes it infinitely better in some of the larger battle against droves of mooks.
Which definitely helps against the final boss! That's one of the hardest battles I've ever experienced in a game... You really have to have skill and timing to beat him. Button mashing gets you killed pretty quickly!

Barciad

Apr 23, 2008
Considering I know two people who have been mentioning this game as if it was the second coming, I find this review very satisfying indeed. I won't lie and pretend that I am any good at those sorts of games. My abject lack of patience and coordination means that within 5 minutes of playing any one of these crummy games, I will be button mashing like the other 99% of society.
Most draining and depressing was one of said friends trying to teach me how to play one properly. Don't ask me which one, they all look the same, and all make me look retarded. So there he was, trying to be patient with me, and there I was trying to listen, but really, it wasn't going to happen.
So thankyou Zp, thankyou for showing me that I am not the only man on earth who bloody hates beat em ups.

bad rider

The prodigal son of a goat boy
Dec 23, 2007
great review

the bottom line with button mashers unless it looks awesome and you can say haha i wish i could do that again its no fun

fnph

Oct 13, 2007
"You'll already know if you'll like Brawl or not."
A truer word was never spoken. Even a few minutes of constant criticism and pointing out of the flaws can't put me off this game, I'm that much of a fan-boy.

renard

Feb 5, 2008
Kinokiro said:
Edit: Renard, they removed Roy to make room for Ike ;) Roy was pretty much a powered up clone of Marth... so Nintendo took the opportunity to pimp out the newest Fire Emblem game.
I know, and now we have two useless characters since ike is a nerfed Roy. At least Marth's counterattack is easier to perform now...

Anyway, there are more sucky characters: lucario (mewtwo 2.0.), king dedede (slow and has the worst recovery attack ever), wolf (the faulty clone of fox)...

Kinokiro

Apr 23, 2008
By and large, if you are a newcomer to the Smash series, you will be turned off by button-mashing softheads... (Much like I would be turned off of Street Fighter, cause I can't play it worth a damn -.-)

Once you've had some strategy, timing and some luck in your game, you can easily exploit the mashers. This game isn't without it's flaws, but it's far from being the worst game out there. I think Yahtzee did a good review from where he is on gaming. I know I would have the same opinion with most of the fighting games out there, but I rock at the platformers, ^^

Edit: Marth is much more fluent, I found. Ike is very well put together if you know how to control him. He is very deadly on small stages, as most of his attacks will launch anyone off screen. If it wasn't for SSE forcing me to use DDD for a healthy portion of it, I probably would never have touched him... Wolf is too erratic, then again I try not to use Fox/Falco because they are harder to control in this game.

Mar 30, 2008
Hi. I am here to deliver the "Nintendo fanboy" point of view. Yes, this makes my name ironic.

I am one of those... good players. I just won a Brawl online by getting 9 kills in two minutes. I really do not see it as a button masher. If it was, I would not win at least 80% of the matches I play online, with four people in each game.

Unlocking characters is meant to be easy. If you play the single player (on co-op for more fun) you can get through the whole think in eight hours, tops. That really isn't asking that much. You could probably do it much faster if you dropped the difficulty (I love having 5 difficulty settings).

Therefore, while I like that you actually bothered to play the multiplayer, I still think you missed the point. This game LOOKS like a random button masher, but it is not. Unless you suck. In which case you will lose to a superior opponent.

I did like the review, by the way. 'Twas funny.

ultimakewl

Apr 23, 2008
HalfShadow said:
Well, it's a fighting game. They generally suck.

And Kinokiro lies. Marth is just some guy.

And the fucker owes me $20.

'You can trust me, I'm a prince' my ass.
Marth and Roy are brothers
they are from the game Fire Emblem for the original NES (which WAS released in the US)
I believe Marth was the main character, but it might have been Roy
after the release of SSBM for the GameCube,
Nintendo put out a GameBoy Advanced Fire Emblem game (also released in the US)

Melaisis

Dec 9, 2007
"You miserable, fanboy, twat."

Nice mic, BTW? The sound quality appears to have improved a little since last time.

fajerkaos

Mar 21, 2008
Garfgarog said:
Haven't watched the video yet and I can already see that this board once again attracts total idiots.

Guess that's to be expected by now though.
Yourself included, I assume?

Joeshie

Oct 9, 2007
Even though I enjoyed playing Brawl with my apartment roomies, I still loved the review.

Great work Yahtzee.

RPJesus

Nov 20, 2007
I think the beauty of brawl is in the utter chaos, although I've begun calling the single player mode the clusterfuck emmisary thanks to the dozens of fucking enemies on screen at any given time.
Lucario at least has the "Shounen anime protagonist" ability (getting more powerful as he takes more damage.)
Personally I'd buy a game called "Lets all look at a picture of meta knight", so having him as a playable character pretty much made it impossible for me to not like the game ^_^.
Also, it's packed with obscure references and the like, and I love me some easter eggs (Like the audience cheer for Snake ("Snake! Snake! Snaaaaaaaaake!").
Fun Fact: There is no such thing as 'overrated'. It's a buzzword used by people like you who think their opinion shared with others like themselves should be the opinion of the everyone else that isn't already part of their side of the argument.

Enjoy your opinion.
Oh, there is such a thing, and brawl was most definitely overhyped. I still love the game, but it's luster wears off rather quick outside of multiplayer.