pacee21

Oct 10, 2007
exxxxxxxxtravaganza

i actually cried laughing when you did that

excellent review as always

Adiona

Mistress of Evil
Mar 25, 2008
Fantabulous I look forward to these reviews every Wednesday, I have to agree with the end part when the Wii was first announced. You either love it or hate it and I most definetly hate it, not saying I hate nintendo I have a nintendo DS. Mario, Sonic etc were never my thing really.

nightfish

Nov 7, 2007
Joined to vote Valve said:
Unlocking characters is meant to be easy. If you play the single player (on co-op for more fun) you can get through the whole think in eight hours, tops. That really isn't asking that much. You could probably do it much faster if you dropped the difficulty
you sir have said why I won't buy the game. 8 hours or less? is that all i get for my hard earned cash

Crooked Knight

Nov 8, 2007
I haven't touched Brawl yet (liked Melee, don't have a Wii), but...you're reviewing a fighting game based on one drunken night that you went into without actually knowing what the controls do? No wonder you hated the thing.

Also, the fighting game haters can bite me. If you spend months learning the game and still get beaten by button mashers, you either have the worst instincts ever or are playing Mortal Kombat.

Kinokiro

Apr 23, 2008
ultimakewl said:
Marth and Roy are brothers
they are from the game Fire Emblem for the original NES (which WAS released in the US)
I believe Marth was the main character, but it might have been Roy
after the release of SSBM for the GameCube,
Nintendo put out a GameBoy Advanced Fire Emblem game (also released in the US)
Actually... the first Fire Emblem wasn't released in the US. It was released as Roy's version, which I believe was FE2... Marth is Roy's father(?), They re-released the original FE on GBA, which was Roy, and the sequel which was Roy's son, or grandson I think...

Anyway, the whole premise of Fire Emblem is about a kingdom usually being taken over, and the last surviving prince(ss) stands alone to fight the enemy kingdom, recruiting opponents along the way, which is pretty much what the idea behind SSB is. Like in the title song it says something like "We were once enemies, now we fight side by side"

BrunDeign

Feb 14, 2008
sammyfreak said:
Woho! Another weekly masterpiece! Justice has been done to this shitty game that gets boring after 5 minutes!
This is why no one loves people like you.

I'm sorry but I forgot to talk about what mspencer82 said.

"Finally someone speaks the truth about this game. Super Smash Bros as a whole is the ultimate definition of "overrated". Even so, because of Nintendo's legion of rabid fanboys, at least one of the games will end up on a list of the "Best Fighting Games EVAR(TM)". Super Smash Bros Brawl has as much business being on that list as a Super Soaker does in a gun shop.

Due to rave reviews, I bought Melee a while back. It took five minutes for me to get bored with it."

I think you're confusing SSBB with Halo 3 when you say the "ultimate definition of overrated." And by the way, if it takes five minutes for you to get bored with something, that just means you have an extremely small attention span. So yeah.

Melty Blood

Dec 22, 2007
ultimakewl said:
HalfShadow said:
Well, it's a fighting game. They generally suck.

And Kinokiro lies. Marth is just some guy.

And the fucker owes me $20.

'You can trust me, I'm a prince' my ass.
they are from the game Fire Emblem for the original NES (which WAS released in the US)
Marth is the main character from Fire Emblem one (and two), Roy is the main character from Fire Emblem six. THEY ARE IN NO WAY RELATED.

Schnozberry

Apr 23, 2008
As much as I love Smash Bros Brawl (it's the best game of 2008 so far), this is by far Yahtsee's funniest review. I laughed me ass off.

ROBINA

But for real - I've been a Smash fan since the original and I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but there is no better party game out (especially because I am "that guy" when it comes to Guitar Hero) and I enjoyed the Subspace Emissiary. It was worth it to unlock Sonic, who is amazing.

This is coming from someone who owns all 3 systems, so don't go callin me a Nintendo fanboy. Although the Wii will win this console war by far. But that's just logic. :-0

Spacehouse

Mar 5, 2008
Single player... bored... etc.

anyway yahtzee or any1 interested, in case you havnt heard, some people are hacking mother3 into english at Starmen.net

but im not expecting it to be done, say, in the next year or so.

Schnozberry

Apr 23, 2008
Agreed with Garfgarog.

I played Smash Melee until 2005. That game came out in 2001.

3 years of multiplayer. This game will last about the same time.

The multiplayer value and length in this game is worth 100 bucks itself.

That said, I think it says a lot about this franchise. There have been 3 in 10 years - that's it. Meanwhile we've seen 5 DOA's among many other boring fighting games.

zelta

Jun 26, 2004
Awesome review, funny cos it's true :)
I think smash bros brawl was the only game making me want a wii... after watching this, I've realised how little smash bros games really offer...

Kinokiro

Apr 23, 2008
I beat Subspace Emissary in a tiny bit over 7 hours... And that was without a walkthrough, seeing as I got it on the first day :3

Corsair256

Feb 20, 2008
Interesting.

I kinda figured this might not be Yahtzees kind of game, so fair enough on the complaining really. Though it's fair enough to say the Smash series may be a 'button masher', in that you could still play the game through random mashing, its not a button masher in the traditional sense of classic fighting games. You won't mash a random string of buttons and pull off some uber move that you will never know how to do again, or if you look it up, be able to pull off again.

These games are much simpler than that. It's arguable again of course as to that being a plus or minus point though. Its a plus you can learn all the moves without an encylopedic brain and epic button pressing reactions, but its a minus that it makes button mashing possibly even more viable.

MikePhilbin

Mar 15, 2008
"eat shit waffles?" that Yahtzee's a beautifully angry poet.

oh, I wonder how long it'll be until the world realises that 'that other over-hyped fighting game' Street Fighter 4 [http://mikephilbin.blogspot.com/2008/02/street-fighter-4-let-down-factor.html] isn't as good as it should be by now, link contains sincerely bewildered editorial.

Kinokiro

Apr 23, 2008
Well, judging from the review, it looks like he played it with the Wiimote... which in itself is a retarded mode to play on... Definitely worth hooking up the GC controller for.

Senaro

Jan 5, 2008
Kinokiro said:
ultimakewl said:
Actually... the first Fire Emblem wasn't released in the US. It was released as Roy's version, which I believe was FE2... Marth is Roy's father(?), They re-released the original FE on GBA, which was Roy, and the sequel which was Roy's son, or grandson I think...

Anyway, the whole premise of Fire Emblem is about a kingdom usually being taken over, and the last surviving prince(ss) stands alone to fight the enemy kingdom, recruiting opponents along the way, which is pretty much what the idea behind SSB is. Like in the title song it says something like "We were once enemies, now we fight side by side"
Actually, Eliwood is Roy's father. They show that in the first american-released Fire Emblem on the GBA. I don't think Marth has any relation to Roy whatsoever.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
The great thing about Zero Punctuation is that I always enjoy watching the latest weekly installment, even if I disagree with Yahtzee's opinion. This is one such review. I bought a Wii solely for Brawl, and I haven't regretted my purchase in the slightest. However, this ZP review does a great job pointing out some of the game's shortcomings.

Yes, I too agree that the criteria to unlock Sonic and Snake was too steep, especially considering the hype they were given. And yes, the Subspace Emissary is too repetitive, especially right before the end boss. For the record though, there is a strategy to the fighting, particularly if you disable items. It's just not apparent right away (you can still get a fair ways button-mashing, though). And no, I don't have a pair of cat ears. I do have T-shirts, but they're mostly Valve-oriented.
_>
Oh yeah, and I have a complaint about the game Yahtzee didn't cover: Smash Balls. I understand that fights with randomly appearing items means a fair amount of luck is involved, but the Smash Balls are just ridiculous. If I'm the one unleashing a Final Smash on an opponent, I feel like a cheap bastard. If I'm on the recieving end (particularly if I have low damage), I feel like my opponent's a cheap bastard. If they wanted one-hit KO's, they should have implemented a penalty system to balance it out, such as taking extra damage from attacks for a short time afterwards. Thank goodness Smash Balls can be disabled in the item selection.