Zero Punctuation: Super Smash Bros. Brawl

laikenf

Oct 24, 2007
God damn look at all these posts, this game must be VERY IMPORTANT or something. Anyway it's nice to see that someone (Yahtzee in this case) feels the same way I do about fighting games; the only one I could EVER learn how to play was Street Fighter (and every spin off it conceived). To this very day I'm STILL perfecting my skills with Sagat, Ryu and Ken. My point is: I don't have what it takes to sit down and learn the mechanics of other fighting games (no matter how cool Virtual Fighter looks), plus I have never really cared about the SSB series cause when I'm going to play a fighting (or Street Fighter)I take it rather seriously and SSB is WAY too quirky.

Crushed

Nov 22, 2007
gasto said:
SSB is a game an indie game developer could make easily but with copyrights infrigment.
Yeah I'm sure getting all those 3D assets, licensed physics engines, hundreds of employees, remixed music from an all-star cast of musicians assembled just for the game, netcode, testing, CG, quality testing, etc., would be a breeze for an indie developer.

Barciad

Apr 23, 2008
the_importer said:
Barciad said:
Actually, it was all 857 of them, but close enough.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/story/0,,2006031,00.html
Have a read for yourself. Interestingly enough, I was recommended Yahtzee on the notion that he was very similar to Brooker.
Worst part is that this article tells the truth about most Mac users I know. Mac users are so defensive and always think that PC users are going to insult them, so they immediately start insulting PCs as soon as they meet you and know that you don't use a Mac.

Seriously, I went to a store to buy a 802.11n adaptor last month and asked about some of the latest PCI-E video cards and the guy automatically said "I'm not too much of an expert on that anymore, I'm using a better computer now, a Mac". All I asked was for him to show me the latest PCI-E cards, I didn't start any Mac Vs PC debates >_>

I think Maddox summed it up quite well last year: http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=macs_cant
We all have our pet loves much like we all have our pet hates. These are all very dear to us and we view it as our God-given right to defend our prejudices. Rationality rarely has anything to do with it but that has never stopped us in the past.

the_importer

Apr 23, 2008
BrunDeign said:
17 pages on the second day? You people need to f@#king get a grip. Seriously, this video does NOT require this much conversation.
You realize the irony of contributing to those 17 pages, right?

Bombader

Nov 21, 2007
Well you all wanted him to review SSBB in the end, so really have no right to coplain lol.

At first I didn't like the review, but then I started to gradually like it.

Since I AM 70% Nintindo fanboy.

miller483

Apr 23, 2008
"and the fight raged on for a century
many lives were claimed, but eventually
the champion stood, the rest saw their better:
Miller483 in a bloodstained sweater"

laikenf

Oct 24, 2007
Xzi said:
Let's start this off with a qualifier: yes, I'm a hopeless Nintendo fanboy, but I'm man enough to admit it. That being said I found Yahtzee's review to be quite amusing as always. I apologize that people have been hounding you to review this game, it's obviously not your type. But I feel that you were a bit harsh and some of your arguments unfounded. For one, yea it sometimes gets obscure, as in the example of Marth. He's a character from one of the Fire Emblem games that I never played. That's all you really need to know and you can move on from there. You don't need to be 80 years old and own a Game and Watch in order to appreciate most of the references, Smash Bros has only existed since the 64-bit era after all. Waiting in line for this game to release I met a large assortment of people with whom I spent a couple hours talking about Smash Bros. One of them was a kid not much older than seven, another was a man of 30+ wearing a full military uniform. There's only one reason this many different types of people come together, and that's because there is a lot of fun to be had. Somewhere along the line games decided that it was time to straighten up and be serious. Seriously boring. Aim at head, shoot, aim at head, shoot, repeat. I've had enough of that crap, honestly. Brawl, and the Smash Bros series as a whole deliver something entirely new and different, and that's what makes these games great.

Overall I really only have one big disagreement with you over this game. And that's the button-mashing thing. In a decent amount of fighting games it's a rather viable tactic, but Brawl is certainly not one of them. As a matter of fact I had to teach one of my button-mashing friends how to play recently because I was getting rather tired of playing a 10-live game with him and winning with 6 or more of mine still in tact. He picked it up rather quickly actually and now that he uses a little bit of strategy and timing I get much more of a challenge out of him. Getting good, and I mean good enough to be viable against any of your friends, not tournament good, only really takes about two hours (or one drunken night, although I wouldn't recommend this as a game to play while drunk). The Subspace Emissary only took me about seven hours both times. The first time I played it alone and the second time with a friend. Before you go claiming that you need to be a lifeless loser to spend the time on it, don't forget that a lot of the single-player content is also playable co-op. ;)

Personally I've never defended the name Wii. I find it pretty funny actually, and when one of my friends asks me what I'm doing while I'm playing I'll usually respond, "just playing with my Wii in the corner."

Anyway, starting to ramble off into oblivion here so I'll wrap it up. I always enjoy your reviews Yahtzee, but I had to take this one more as a comedy than something to be taken seriously. Kind of like you with Brawl. If I didn't, the fanboy inside me would've exploded. After all, this is the first review I've posted in and he's the one that made me do it. What an asshole. :p
SSB has always been kind of a cult game (a pretty BIG cult that is). I for one know this guy who is a rastafarian and absolutely LOVES playing SSBB with his son (he's pretty good at it actually). A lot of people are not in to it (myself included) but MILLIONS love it (just like Halo).

corronchilejano

Nov 14, 2007
Well, that only shows one thing:
People that visit the escapist have a stronger opinion towards SB than Halo, either good or bad.

corronchilejano

Nov 14, 2007
Their like hits in their genres. Im amazed people talk more about Halo 3 than CoD4 when CoD4 has a more engaging storyline, but that's how stuff is. SSB may not be the most competitive fighting game, but it's sure as hell one of the most original and stands out.

The Daymonster

Apr 24, 2008
the_importer said:
The Daymonster said:
I wish I would have seen this review before I purchased it. I believed all the hype and haven't touched it after the first 5 minutes.
Like any games, if you haven't played the prequels or if you're not into the genre, it's best to rent it first or try it at a friend's house.
I am still hoping one day someone will come over and see it sitting on my shelf covered in dust and be like "oh, you have smash bros., that game is awesome!"

Then they will teach me why it doesn't suck and I will have another great party game.

laikenf

Oct 24, 2007
Xzi said:
laikenf said:
Xzi said:
Let's start this off with a qualifier: yes, I'm a hopeless Nintendo fanboy, but I'm man enough to admit it. That being said I found Yahtzee's review to be quite amusing as always. I apologize that people have been hounding you to review this game, it's obviously not your type. But I feel that you were a bit harsh and some of your arguments unfounded. For one, yea it sometimes gets obscure, as in the example of Marth. He's a character from one of the Fire Emblem games that I never played. That's all you really need to know and you can move on from there. You don't need to be 80 years old and own a Game and Watch in order to appreciate most of the references, Smash Bros has only existed since the 64-bit era after all. Waiting in line for this game to release I met a large assortment of people with whom I spent a couple hours talking about Smash Bros. One of them was a kid not much older than seven, another was a man of 30+ wearing a full military uniform. There's only one reason this many different types of people come together, and that's because there is a lot of fun to be had. Somewhere along the line games decided that it was time to straighten up and be serious. Seriously boring. Aim at head, shoot, aim at head, shoot, repeat. I've had enough of that crap, honestly. Brawl, and the Smash Bros series as a whole deliver something entirely new and different, and that's what makes these games great.

Overall I really only have one big disagreement with you over this game. And that's the button-mashing thing. In a decent amount of fighting games it's a rather viable tactic, but Brawl is certainly not one of them. As a matter of fact I had to teach one of my button-mashing friends how to play recently because I was getting rather tired of playing a 10-live game with him and winning with 6 or more of mine still in tact. He picked it up rather quickly actually and now that he uses a little bit of strategy and timing I get much more of a challenge out of him. Getting good, and I mean good enough to be viable against any of your friends, not tournament good, only really takes about two hours (or one drunken night, although I wouldn't recommend this as a game to play while drunk). The Subspace Emissary only took me about seven hours both times. The first time I played it alone and the second time with a friend. Before you go claiming that you need to be a lifeless loser to spend the time on it, don't forget that a lot of the single-player content is also playable co-op. ;)

Personally I've never defended the name Wii. I find it pretty funny actually, and when one of my friends asks me what I'm doing while I'm playing I'll usually respond, "just playing with my Wii in the corner."

Anyway, starting to ramble off into oblivion here so I'll wrap it up. I always enjoy your reviews Yahtzee, but I had to take this one more as a comedy than something to be taken seriously. Kind of like you with Brawl. If I didn't, the fanboy inside me would've exploded. After all, this is the first review I've posted in and he's the one that made me do it. What an asshole. :p
SSB has always been kind of a cult game (a pretty BIG cult that is). I for one know this guy who is a rastafarian and absolutely LOVES playing SSBB with his son (he's pretty good at it actually). A lot of people are not in to it (myself included) but MILLIONS love it (just like Halo).
Well, any game is a cult game to the extent that some are going to like it and others are going to hate it. I get what you are saying though. But for the love of god, never compare Smash Bros to Halo. :D
You make a good point on the whole button mashing issue. I can't count the amount of people I know that just button mashed there way to victory in Street Fighter (beating people who where REALLY learning how to play the game) only to be obliterated later by those of us who got "serious" and "tactical". So I do agree with the fact that Yahtzee was a bit unfair when classifying SSB as a sorry button masher because it's a disservice to those who have dedicated time and resources on getting good at it.

corronchilejano

Nov 14, 2007
Tip: Turn off the items. Part of the "chaos" is not knowing what's going on, and items are 90% the reason. After that, try putting them on low and turn off the hammers, bombs, and other items that you consider make the game wholly unbalanced.
When you're playing with friends that already know how to play, turn on all items but keep them on low or medium. Playlarity ensues.

Mar 30, 2008
corronchilejano said:
Tip: Turn off the items. Part of the "chaos" is not knowing what's going on, and items are 90% the reason. After that, try putting them on low and turn off the hammers, bombs, and other items that you consider make the game wholly unbalanced.
When you're playing with friends that already know how to play, turn on all items but keep them on low or medium. Playlarity ensues.
Everything he said, and for the love of God, turn off the smoke ball. Always.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
Uszi said:
I find it VERY interesting that Yahtzee called from the get-go that there would be accusations that it would be said of him, "He is not a real reviewer."
He is a real reviewer, just not a serious one, he's got some good points, and he uses humor to prove them, but he's not here to "review" games, just to make us laugh.

xanrethan

Apr 23, 2008
I love how this review garnered more comments than the last three combined. Striking down fan boy games make me happy at the nerd rage I've seen over just this movie. I personally think the game is ok, but I don't own a Wii, and don't plan on getting one any time soon. Besides, I hate playing with "That guy"s.

If somehow Yahtzee could review games of auld, pull out some of the major fan boy beacons, like Deus Ex or Oblivion, games that may have already been out for a while (or quite a while), and give'm a good beating so that fan boys might realize their own short-sightedness and their lenience for ok games sucking in more than one sector.

I would enjoy it. But then again, I don't want to land anus first on the Winchester Cathedral. So. This is all a hypothetical monologue I am having, not a suggestion. Of course, Not a suggestion. :p

Digikid

Dec 29, 2007
I have to agree. SSBB is not really a good game. It has its moments but yathzee hit the nail on the head for sure here.

The game rates a 5 out of ten MAXIMUM.

The Thief

Apr 24, 2008
Has anybody said anything about handicaps? Makes "That guy" a whole lot more fair to fight, and if you are "That guy" it makes it less boring and actually challenging.

MaDsPLoiTz

Feb 13, 2008
the_importer said:
Dectilon said:
Although you can perfect your skills in any fighter to the point where you will always win against button-mashers the point is valid. Not that I'm awesome at it or anything, but in both Tekken and Soul Calibur I'll lose to button mashers sometimes simply because there are attacks that can take you out in 2-3 hits, and as your enemy won't be playing in an intelligent, but predictable, way you'll get swated once or twice out of like 20-30 matches.

Take a game like Guilty Gear on the other hand. No button-masher will beat me in that game. Not even once. I don't really like Smash Bros. as a fighter, but once you know what all the buttons do it's not a bad party game : )
Indeed. With the exception of the Dead or Alive games (because of the counters), it seems that button mashing is more easily accomplish in 3D fighting games for some reason (never could figure out why).
Little to no directional movement is required in 3D fighters. This is most likely why...