Zero Punctuation: Super Smash Bros. Brawl

the_importer

Apr 23, 2008
Simon_TR said:
Has anybody said anything about handicaps? Makes "That guy" a whole lot more fair to fight, and if you are "That guy" it makes it less boring and actually challenging.
See, that's just the thing, if Yahtzee knew a thing or two about fighting game, this would be a no-brainer. Everything he complained about are common things about fighting games, well maybe not the camera issue since most fighting games don't have this problem because you fight in small areas.

the_importer

Apr 23, 2008
MaDsPLoiTz said:
Little to no directional movement is required in 3D fighters. This is most likely why...
Possibly, makes sense when you consider that a lot of moves make your character move forward on it's own.

Xenoveritas

Mar 26, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
May I enquire as to what these powerless FS's are? All I can see is Peaches, and really, if you play as Peach you already know you're going to be everyone *****.
Kirby's comes to mind. Even if it hits, it does pathetic damage and it's unlikely to KO. Plus it has limited range to some degree, making it just as likely to miss. I'm not going to list a comparison of all the Final Smashes, because that's a little too "that guy" for me.

The bottom line and my original point is that there's absolutely no balance to them. Some Final Smashes act as instant KOs against all they hit. Others do a chunk of damage and nothing else. They're not balanced, which is too bad since they apparently went through some effort to ensure that the general character moves are balanced.

I also love the surprising number of characters who have "Suicide Dash Off The Stage" special moves, but that's a different point...

the_importer

Apr 23, 2008
Xenoveritas said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
May I enquire as to what these powerless FS's are? All I can see is Peaches, and really, if you play as Peach you already know you're going to be everyone *****.
Kirby's comes to mind. Even if it hits, it does pathetic damage and it's unlikely to KO. Plus it has limited range to some degree, making it just as likely to miss. I'm not going to list a comparison of all the Final Smashes, because that's a little too "that guy" for me.

The bottom line and my original point is that there's absolutely no balance to them. Some Final Smashes act as instant KOs against all they hit. Others do a chunk of damage and nothing else. They're not balanced, which is too bad since they apparently went through some effort to ensure that the general character moves are balanced.

I also love the surprising number of characters who have "Suicide Dash Off The Stage" special moves, but that's a different point...
I'll admit, I didn't play the crap out of the previous 2 Smash games, but I can tell you that Brawl is well balanced regardless. Kirby and Peach's Smash Attacks aren't that great compared to let's say Ike, but their B moves more than make up for this.

FuckYouDad

Apr 23, 2008
I can honestly say I had no idea people took a game about Nintendo characters kicking the shit out of each other this seriously.

VMerken

Sep 12, 2007
Ach... give the kids their brawling game, us veteran players have tons of more interesting stuff to waste time on anyway. Yahtzee pretty much synthesized my feelings towards this kind of game, so nothing left to comment apart from thumbs up!

KiiWii

Feb 3, 2008
Personally, i loved SSBM and the original, and chances are I'm gonna love brawl as much as i did its predecessors. To be honest, its not the game, its the fact that it pulled me and my friends together, gave us something to do when we were bored, and did a damn good job of it at that. Its entertaining. Sure, its not epic, sure its doesn't go into depth, have a huge storyline, or anything else that usually makes a game good, but if you're honestly looking for depth and some kind of magical orgasmic experience from playing it you must be mental, or 'that' guy.

corronchilejano

Nov 14, 2007
I think everything that could've been said has been said. Half the arguments are about button-mashing or the usual this-is-kiddie-and-uncompetitive-not-like-real-fighters.

Dakan Kurano

Jan 29, 2008
I agree, sadly, with every point Yahtzee made in this review. I say sadly, because I was once a fanboy of nintendo, but seeing as the originality has been sucked out of nintendo like heroin into the needle I'll be visiting shortly after posting this, I hung up my fanboy tshirt in the back of my closet along with my hopes of ever owning another nintendo console. Now that I've watched it and posted I'll be leaving this site just like i've been doing every week for the past few months. Sorry escapist, yahtzee's all you've got (other than your devoted fan forums) that entertain me.

the_importer

Apr 23, 2008
Mazty said:
I didn't think much of Halo 3, however it does the FPS genre justice with multiplayer and a through storyline.
To a person who's not into shooters, they're all the same. You shoot and you stay alive, that sums it up for me. Halo might have only 3 games, but they got released in a quick period of time when you balance out the consoles. XBOX and GameCube were released pretty much at the same time. Mario got 2 real consoles games with Sunshine & Galaxy, we got 2 new and real Zelda games (Phantom is handheld and Four Swords was not much of a Zelda game) with WindWaker & Twilight and we got 3 Halo games, I say it's pretty much even.

Nintendo usually makes 1 or 2 games per IP during a console's life cycle, EA on the other hand releases 1 title per IP every fucking year. EA holds the record to the most of titles in a franshise, not Nintendo.

Mazty said:
Also it's only a trilogy compared to Mario's 14 games, which has only really ever changed by becoming 3D half way through...As for Zelda just see Yahtzee's review on Phantom Hourglass.
Halo didn't change as much as you trying to convince yourself it has. I know many Halo fanboys who know that the the series didn't change that much since the first one. Why, because it's a bad idea to try to improve on a formula that works. Although Yahtzee's review on Phantom Hourglass was funny as hell, the point remains that when Nintendo goes around and change the concept of Link defeating Ganon and rescuing the Princess, fans don't enjoy the game as much. Do you think Halo Fans would love it if Halo 4 was a war fought against mutants or robots instead of Aliens as the main enemies, of course not.

Franchises stay the same, that's it, that's all, end of story, if you can't accept it, to bad, you're a fanboy living in your own little world. The only time that I will ever accept someone using the "It's the same game defense" to put down a title is when that person never plays a sequel. Yahtzee said it himself that Half-Life EP2 was more of the same, so how can he justify renting about Nintendo doing the same thing when Valve does the same thing? He can't! Why? Cause he's a Valve fanboy and with the "Valve employee wanking on his face" joke, that's a not a secret.

Mazty said:
The Grand Theft Auto releases are the same genre, not the same game. They all changed location, storyline, time period as well as modifying game play quite significantly.
And Zelda games are set in different land settings of Hyrule in most games and not one element of the story is ever the same besides the role of Link, Zelda and Ganon. You have no point there either.

Mazty said:
Gran Turismo is a racing simulation and so any improvement to physics and the incursion of new cars changes the game dramatically eg. the rally system between 3 & 4. For racing enthusiasts this presents a brand new challenge.
That's a pathetic excuse that EA came up a while ago. They're the same game, live with it. This is 2008, if sports or racing title that can't get their new rosters or cars via d/l content, it proves that it's still a marketing scheme to release the same fucking title every year.

Mazty said:
Medal of Honour seems to have died due to its repetition of the same game play. Whereas Call of Duty mixed things up with number 4 by taking it into the modern era, as number 3 - almost a clone of 2 - didn't live up to the hype.
Maybe people just got fucking sick and tired of WW2 games, I mean how many times can you reenact an historical event before getting tired of it. Or maybe the war in Iraq is a bit closer to home for current gamers.

Mazty said:
End of the day every game is going to be similar to it's predecessor. However they should all meet a certain threshold of innovation and improvement from one generation of game to the next. Nintendo is terrible for this, repeating games just under different titles, and with a game like SSBB there is not even an opportunity for the inclusion of a new storyline, thus limiting the possibility for innovation and improvement before it goes into development.
Man, now there's an oxymoron for you. Nintendo, Bungie, RockStar, they're all the same, they keep making sequels with just enough differences to qualify them as a new games. But if you seriously consider Mario 1, Mario 2 (USA), Mario 3, Mario World, Mario 64, Mario Sushine and Mario Galaxy to be the exact same game, this means that you're either:

a)Blind, which would raise the question of how can you play games in the first place

or

b)You're a new generation gamer (PSX era) who finds any old franchises to be repetitive just because they're old but in reality, you buy sequels of your favorite "more recent" franchises

cold killer pov

Apr 21, 2008
i agree with yhatzee the wii is for mentally in capable people that like to wave their arms around like retards! true gamers are that of the 360 varietty people who know how to aim and dont have to rely on the same controller over and over and over again... PS3 SUX and WII is NO better!!! 360 = win lololol

infinitysend

Mar 20, 2008
Wow, amazingly you didn't once talk about how cheap and unbalanced the Final Smashes are -- one of the biggest charms of the game is also one of its biggest flaws. While the Final Smashes are really cool for almost all of the characters, some are insanely hard to dodge while others are almost ridiculously easy to dodge (DK's come to mind). Otherwise, I lol'd.

And SPOT-ON with the bitching on the Single Player campaign. Spot. on.

WillPG1212

Mar 17, 2008
LOL great review.

Personaly i enjoy fighting games (not SSB, but i play the Tekkens) and i agree, its guckin frustratin when u play the whole game and then invite people over, and they
1. either beat u by pressin random bulSSS when ur actualy tryin to do proper combos
2. Keep losin and soon the game becomes no fun.

Great final comment (4.13) lol

Xenoveritas

Mar 26, 2008
the_importer said:
I'll admit, I didn't play the crap out of the previous 2 Smash games, but I can tell you that Brawl is well balanced regardless. Kirby and Peach's Smash Attacks aren't that great compared to let's say Ike, but their B moves more than make up for this.
I agree, it is well balanced - except when it comes to the Final Smash moves. There does't even appear to have been any attempt to even balance them. Which was the only point I was trying to make. Don't over-analyse it too much.

corronchilejano said:
I think everything that could've been said has been said. Half the arguments are about button-mashing or the usual this-is-kiddie-and-uncompetitive-not-like-real-fighters.
I thought that was the entire point of Smash Bros.: it's easy for a beginner to do something (via button smashing), and is childish. It's not supposed to be a "real fighter." It's not supposed to stand on its own without the Nintendo characters.

It's just a game for Nintendo fans to play quick matches using favorite characters. Even if they are characters from games that were never released in the US. (Marth may as well be from Smash Bros. by this point.)

The trophies are explicitly for fans only. There's no reason to bother collecting them all if you don't care, they don't do anything. (Stickers, on the other hand, ...thankfully they're mostly useless.) They should have left the unlockables at the trophies and clone characters (really, who cares if Toon Link is an unlockable?), and maybe some of the stages. (Can I relock Havenbow?)

By the way, is Smash Bros. Brawl really completely missing a tutorial mode? I never noticed one. Hopefully I just missed it. Training isn't the same as tutorial, since it never teaches you how to use the controls. With no explanation about how Smash Attacks work and how the controls work, the game might as well be all button mashing and stick waving. (Which, annoyingly, is used as a button for two control styles. Stop doing that, Nintendo.)

cold killer pov said:
i agree with yhatzee the wii is for mentally in capable people that like to wave their arms around like retards! true gamers are that of the 360 varietty people who know how to aim and dont have to rely on the same controller over and over and over again... PS3 SUX and WII is NO better!!! 360 = win lololol
There's some irony in that post...

Forsooth and Pi

Apr 23, 2008
Xenoveritas said:
By the way, is Smash Bros. Brawl really completely missing a tutorial mode? I never noticed one. Hopefully I just missed it. Training isn't the same as tutorial, since it never teaches you how to use the controls. With no explanation about how Smash Attacks work and how the controls work, the game might as well be all button mashing and stick waving. (Which, annoyingly, is used as a button for two control styles. Stop doing that, Nintendo.)
Technically, there is a video you can watch, either in the video section or by waiting a little bit at the title screen, that explains how to play the game (the video, appropriately enough, is called "How to Play"). Still, this feature isn't a full tutorial in that it allows you to try out the moves while it explains them, and the video feels rather hidden than out in the open.

renard

Feb 5, 2008
cold killer pov said:
Yes, my friend, you are capable... in the spanish meaning of the word, which is "suitable to be castrated"
Seriously, your balls are a threat for the mankind. They are huge, and the evidence is the massive quantity of testosterone that leaks out of your body because you play a console only for rought and tought men and machos.

Get back to halo 3 and Gears of War my son, don't let the childish but plain fun gets into your brain. Paraphrasing Yahtzee: "Go and play a killer guitar solo or punch a grizzly bear" to show how brave and manly you are...

WillPG1212 said:
LOL great review.

Personaly i enjoy fighting games (not SSB, but i play the Tekkens) and i agree, its guckin frustratin when u play the whole game and then invite people over, and they
1. either beat u by pressin random bulSSS when ur actualy tryin to do proper combos
2. Keep losin and soon the game becomes no fun.
1. You have beaten my eyeballs pressing random keys on the keyboard when, I suppose, you were trying to write (I won't say write properly due the lack of effort) in a language that, I presume, must be English.
2. Keep raping corneas and soon you'll get strangled.

guyy

Mar 6, 2008
" **** Solid Snake, they should let you unlock Bill Murray"...that was his best joke in a while.

Always good to see that not everyone thinks the next game in some sequence or other is going to be the ultimate peak of human innovation.

The Gil-Monster

Nov 26, 2007
FuckYouDad said:
I can honestly say I had no idea people took a game about Nintendo characters kicking the shit out of each other this seriously.
Agreed.

Yahtzee once offended me in one of his reviews. Me. Not a game. He once called people like me "console 'tards."

Then I made lunch.

(....)

...All right, all right; you got me. I muttered "Jerk!" under my breath first, and THEN I made lunch.