Zero Punctuation: Super Smash Bros. Brawl

The Thief

Apr 24, 2008
Angry Yahtzee + Forced reviewing + nintendo + fanboys + a fighting game + multiplayer + overhype = A ZP review worth 500+ posts, I guess.

the_importer

Apr 23, 2008
Mursam said:
Does nobody find it strange that 6 months after Yahtzee bags out Halo 3 only 389 comments were posted, yet within 12 HOURS of Yahtzee bagging out Brawl, the comment count has reached 488?
There's a big difference between the Halo 3 (and every other reviews he's done) and the SSBB review. Yahtzee actually loves FPS and has obviously played enough of them to justify his review. Also, although he didn't LOVE the game, he said that it was not bad. In SSBB however, the forced the review, used more negative than positive and stated that he doesn't like fighting games. Like I said in my long review of this review (page 5 I think), this is not about not liking SSBB, it's about not liking fighting games in general. He shouldn't reviewing fighting games any more than JRPGs if he doesn't like these genres because no positive can come out of them.

Half-Live sucks, Halo Sucks, Bioshock sucks, but then again, I HATE FPS, so is my opinion a valid one? Fuck no!

Jack Sheehan

Oct 16, 2007
I personally think all the bile and hatred makes it all the funnier, but then again I'm not insulted by someone I've never met criticizing a corporation that don't give a shit if i live or die.

But hey, thats just me.

The Thief

Apr 24, 2008
the_importer said:
He shouldn't reviewing fighting games any more than JRPGs if he doesn't like these genres because no positive can come out of them.
I disagree. As long as he makes it funny and an actual review I don't care whether it's biased or not, really. The SSBB rant just wasn't his best stuff.

xdiesp

Oct 21, 2007
And down with your non existant authority, you fan boys. You are worth nothing in the real world, for what strange reason anybody should listen to you on the net either.

the_importer

Apr 23, 2008
Simon_TR said:
the_importer said:
He shouldn't reviewing fighting games any more than JRPGs if he doesn't like these genres because no positive can come out of them.
I disagree. As long as he makes it funny and an actual review I don't care whether it's biased or not, really. The SSBB rant just wasn't his best stuff.
Sorry. but you can't make a decent review of a game for which you don't like the genre. You said it yourself, it wasn't his best stuff and the reason is that he doesn't like fighting games and it shows. Most of his rant are criticizing fighting games in general.

bob_bob0

Nov 28, 2007
Mazty said:
Great review as always, probably one of the best. Its good to see that I'm not the only one who thinks Nintendo are going to shoot themselves in the foot by re-releasing the same games time and time again with virtually no difference apart from a gimmicky pad.
*claps*
Although brawl isnt a bad game, i think the campaign is hours too long and sonic and snake should have been made easier to get
Awesome review. One of the best. On par with tomb raider for my faveroute

Mike

Smashking

Apr 2, 2008
Ouch Yahtzee, call me a fanboy but that review was less articulate and funny points and more witless flaming, I agree with some of the things you say except the button mashing.
I have played Brawl once or twice and it seems good, worse then melee due to the character unbalance but still...

Melee was a shining star for me and It's been in and out of boxes since it came out, it represents what a GOOD fighting game should be; Large dynamic stages, plenty of variation in the characters, cheerful and colourful, amazing multiplayer and the added fact that button mashing always loses you the match.

SSB is meant to be a multiplayer game, I recieve no enjoyment from the single player modes in melee, I think I am a "That guy" because I never lose while sober. However, I was only good with one player which I think is the attraction, rather then games like say... Soul Caliber, where any button launches an attack that covers the screen, SB has short ranges attacks and is all about timing and reflexes as opposed to memorizing long attack sequences(DOA! GRRR) It's a great game for parties and just having friends round, the campaign on Brawl having the co-op feature is one of my favourite things.

All in all, you're right, Nintendo does have a habit of remaking things constantly.

Mario- the SNES ones rocked, Mario 64 was ok-ish, everything after? Shit.
Zelda- Ocarina of time was epic, after that the series went downhill (Particularly wind waker).
Metroid- The sequals aren't actually too bad.

Maybe I'm just speaking out of my love for the game, but I think it's worth more then Yahtzee gave it, it's not a serious competetive game like 360 games, it's made for people who enjoy social gamers, I know he hates multiplayer but considering how good the game is, he should of put more effort into the review.

I love these reviews, even if they utterly MAIM the games I like, but when it's just a mindless rant I something get scared that Yahtzee is running out of "The funnies"... I hope that never happens.

(Sorry if I screwed up some spelling or grammar but I'm a tad rushed)

DarthTirith

Nov 2, 2007
People whine at him to review Brawl, then acted shocked when he (A guy NOT interested in Brawl at ALL) hates it and rips the game and the stupid fanbase to shit?

Nice.

The Thief

Apr 24, 2008
the_importer said:
Sorry. but you can't make a decent review of a game for which you don't like the genre.
You don't have to like a game's genre to review it. What counts as "decent" is a matter of personal opinion.

the_importer

Apr 23, 2008
Simon_TR said:
the_importer said:
Sorry. but you can't make a decent review of a game for which you don't like the genre.
You don't have to like a game's genre to review it. What counts as "decent" is a matter of personal opinion.
OK, so if I say that Halo, GTA, Metal Gear Solid and Mass Effect suck because I don't like these genres, then my opinion is a valid one >_> ?

Crushed

Nov 22, 2007
bob_bob0 said:
sonic and snake should have been made easier to get
Sonic? Yeah, that's stupid. You COULD technically just beat Classic Mode 10 times really fast on Very Easy mode though.

Snake? He's technically very easy to unlock.

Play 5 brawls on Shadow Moses: Unlock Ness (5 brawls to unlock, or 10 deflected projectiles in one match)
Play 5 more Brawls on Shadow Moses: Unlock Marth (10 brawls, or beating Classic once)
Play 5 more brawls on Shadow Moses: Unlock Snake (needs 15 brawls on Shadow Moses).

Considering that you can make matches last for literally 1 second by playing a Stamina Flower Brawl with Stamina set to 1, that means you can unlock 3 characters in under five minutes.

Then just play Classic without having to use a continue (piece of cake) to unlock Luigi, and if you do it on Normal Mode or higher within 12 minutes, you also get Captain Falcon. If you haven't already unlocked Marth, then you'll get him for clearing Classic.

In around half an hour, you've unlocked 5 hidden characters. To break up the monotony a bit, take 10 minutes AT THE VERY MOST to clear 100-Man Brawl (which you can do with a friend!), and you'll have Falco.

Then, play Classic on Very Easy-Normal with 7 more characters (to familiarize yourself with the controls). Then play it on Hard with Link or Zelda, and you unlock Ganondorf. Guess what, you've played Classic Mode with 10 characters, you've unlocked Sonic.

Congratulations, you have more than half of the hidden characters unlocked in less than three hours of gameplay.

Uszi

Feb 10, 2008
I find it VERY interesting that Yahtzee called from the get-go that there would be accusations that it would be said of him, "He is not a real reviewer."

Crushed

Nov 22, 2007
Uszi said:
I find it VERY interesting that Yahtzee called from the get-go that there would be accusations that it would be said of him, "He is not a real reviewer."
(looks through thread)

Nobody has accused him of not being a real reviewer.