Zero Punctuation: Tales of Monkey Island

Mysticgamer

Apr 14, 2009
williebaz said:
Good video, but why does yahtzee keep reviewing all these minor XBLA games. I mean surely there must be one or two games out there he could review that are mainstream. Either way it's still a good video, I lold.

Edit: i know he played it on PC, but it's still available on the XBLA
He's probably not finished with Batman yet.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
I loved the Irish accent, being part Irish (not the speaking part) I feel I should be offended by the wife beating joke..... but i'm not

Anyways, I've never played adventure games (being too young as stated in the video) so my experience is limited. However I want to try out Monkey Island now

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
dunnace said:
Cpt_Oblivious said:
dunnace said:
Tad unfair to review it when it's not technically finished isn't it?
If you've watched the other videos you'll know he thinks most games are unfinished so this is probably fair.
But technically this game isn't finished. He commented about how terrible the gameplay was in Silent Hill 2, but loved the plot, well he doesn't know all the plot yet.
"..declaring a game shitty because of the first few hours is perfectly valid and completely professional..." - Yahtzee, in his Condemned 2 review ;)

Aeryn Seoung

Aug 21, 2009
You dissapoint me in the lack of ability in doing a scots accent.
Irish one wasn't half bad though!

clank1013

May 21, 2009
rofl very well done. i couldnt even stand the demo of the game, so i dont know how u made it all the way through, lol.... and whats with the 5 min credits at the begining???? wtf mate?

and i couldnt stop laughing at ur "accent" =)

Resistance205

Jun 3, 2008
Oh good god, that accent was horrible! Funny, but horrible! haha
Of course, great review as always, I was honestly not expecting you to actually do the accent!

Hallow'sEve

Sep 4, 2008
I wouldn't know, but that accent sounded really authentic (anyone from Ireland here to decide?), also made it hard to understand too : P

(what does an Irish accent sound like?)

Smudge91

Jul 30, 2009
i loved the irish accent although had difficulty understanding what he was saying

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Well, I don't get why Mr. Croshaw did half of this in an Irish accent, but damn if it wasn't funny. He really hit the nail square on the head with his impersonation and reminds me all too much of the idiots I'm related to on my mother's side.

But then again my father's German side isn't any better, with their whole 'Hitler was right' and 'anyone who isn't a ayran is inferior' philosophy.

Best to ignore all that I guess, all of them are inbred rednecks anyhow.

Chunko

Aug 2, 2009
METC said:
None of you could have possibly have watched this yet...
How come yours got to stay up, I thought you have to wait until after you've watched the video before you can post

Just_Karol

Aug 5, 2009
Hallow said:
I wouldn't know, but that accent sounded really authentic (anyone from Ireland here to decide?)

(what does an Irish accent sound like?)
Frankly, it depends on the region just like any other country I guess.
There's Cork accents, Dublins accents, Bogger accents, Northern acccent and western ones. etc. etc.

What you've just witness was a 1950's 'Darby o'Gill and the little people' accent . Which we haven't used sinced we discovered potatoes. The sad truth is that was the best Irish accent that I heard from a non-Irish man.
I also liked the references (we sure do love our Roses of Tralee and hate our protestant).

Conan_Edogawa

Apr 14, 2009
I liked this one. It's always nice to see Yahtzee finding new ways to deliver his famous mix of serious review and witty comedy, and the Irish accent in particular is going to keep me in stitches for quite a while. Now to wait patiently for whatever fun is in store for next week.

Arvind

Apr 11, 2009
I couldn't understand a word of what he said in the Irish voice.

This one beats the South African accent by a million miles.

theklng

May 1, 2008
Cpt_Oblivious said:
dunnace said:
Tad unfair to review it when it's not technically finished isn't it?
If you've watched the other videos you'll know he thinks most games are unfinished so this is probably fair.
williebaz said:
Good video, but why does yahtzee keep reviewing all these minor XBLA games.
Uhh. He reviweded it on PC if you listened.
coren79 said:
Actually, you're third.

Edit: C'mon mods! Half the guys above me should've been banned.
as should you for not having contributed anything to the discussion.

personally i found this week's zp confusing; and while the irish accent may have been innovation, it just didn't come off very well. compare to the mirror's edge of zp's.

TraumaHound

Jan 11, 2009
I recall playing the original Monkey Island on the Atari ST. This was in the heyday of adventure games, and despite their simplicity (especially by today's game-standards) they usually made up for it in elaborate story-telling (which they had to as graphically the early ones were barely better than something one'd find on the Atari 5200.) I like that adventure games are making a retro-comeback though I can't see playing them on a console; point-and-click games seem to have it built-in that one needs an actual "pointing device" that one can "click".

Maybe I'll give the new Monkey Island games a try, could be fun despite what the Irish guy had to say about it.

Cogzwell

Jul 10, 2008
being of Scottish heritage as well i laughed my ass off at the mockings of my ancestor's rival neighbors

Undeadpope

Feb 4, 2009
I am Irish,but I don't have an irish accent but as any of the people whom play the Team fortress 2 on the escapist servers will tell you,or at I tell them if they beilive me or not is questionable my mic makes my sounds really irish.

Odd also since this was the just last night that we had melee night.

Also does everyone know this much about Ireland? I live here and I only heard about the rose of Trelee on the radio and would'nt of heard of it at all otherwise but maybe this is just a sign that I should pay more attenion and go out more...

[Cold-Shoulder]

Jun 5, 2009
Great review! I loved the Irish accent you made. You sound more Irish than I do but it was hard to understand what you were saying sometimes though. I doubt I'll buy Tales of monkey island.
letsnoobtehpwns said:
"IT could have saved me time that I could have used to beat my wife" So true!
Please don't stereotype Ireland. I bet you only got that idea from Family guy.