Zero Punctuation: Tales of Monkey Island

deora2dude

Mar 24, 2009
aw... will he be reviewing ODST? i hope so. i love bungie but its funny when urk and shishka cry :D

Wolcik

Jul 18, 2009
I'm one of those fools that believed that this week would be Batman. I quess I'll wash my costume and cosplay again next week. I'm wondering who made a fool out of me - was it Yathzee because he stills plays/enjoys the game or "the time - makes a fool out of us all".

I don't care much for the acent - I bearly noticed the acent in Far Cry 2 review.
What strikes me is the divided review - by someone that played the game, and a mainstream douche. It was hard to indicate when one stopped talking because for me the diffrence was in speed of talking mostly. I'm not saying that there should be signs when the personalities switch... I guess it was hard to place it all in such time limit and making bigger pauses between speakers could ruin it.

Overally, nice review and points out that real fans shouldn't like fanservice.

XJ-0461

Mar 9, 2009
NeoDeath90 said:
"Me wife, Myra"?

Did he just made a Bioshock reference or was that just me?
Probably not a reference, as it's likely he was using "Moira" as a sterotypical Irish name. Like calling all hilbillies "Billy-Bob".

On topic: A very good review with a very funny accent, but I was expecting Batman Arkham Asylum. Next week, perhaps?

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
Cpt_Oblivious said:
williebaz said:
Good video, but why does yahtzee keep reviewing all these minor XBLA games.
Uhh. He reviweded it on PC if you listened.
Clearly he thought Steam was some new first-person shooter engine for the X-Box.

Och, faith & begorrah, another foine review!

Alufear

May 1, 2009
I'm going to have to watch that at least 20 more times to be able to understand what the hell he was saying in the accent. You'd think I'd be used to it by now.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
It's funny, I was actually just thinking about Yahtzee doing a review of these games. I read in Nintendo Power that the Design Director of Tales of Monkey Island is actually Dave Grossman, who was the Assistant Designer and Programmer of the original 2 Monkey Island games. So... Yeah, how about that.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
We should expect Batman next week, it's this summers "on demand" game for a ZP review!

I played the updated Monkey Island recently and at first I wasn't to fond of the new style but left it on since I couldn't be bothered to read half the time. However it grew on me and some of the jokes were really funny with over the top voice acting.

As for the new line that are in 3D I already don't like the art style... but I might try to get around to giving them go if the core gameplay and humor is there.

...oh and what the hell was up with the thick south Irish accent?!

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
well, I haven't played this new "Monkey Island", but from what Yahtzee says about the series I'm pretty certain his verdict on this one would match mine. The first two were masterpieces, after that it went downhill... and to be honest, I wasn't too happy when they announced they're going to make a new Monkey Island in episodic form, especially when I saw the first few bits of it and it simply looked like a dirt-cheap, run-of-the-mill adventure with minimum effort put in.

Seems I was right. Too bad. I'd really love a new point & click adventure that's actually great.

obliterate

Sep 2, 2009
Again another great review...and yes the first games were really cool...but as we all know the sequels ruined everything

Conan_Edogawa

Apr 14, 2009
Stabby Joe said:
We should expect Batman next week, it's this summers "on demand" game for a ZP review!
Well, in complete fairness, we shouldn't "expect" anything. especially not if it's "on demand". This is Yahtzee we're talking about. he'll review what he chooses to review, and we should just sit back and enjoy the ride.

PieMaker

Oct 7, 2008
Timelord91 said:
I loved the Irish accent, being part Irish (not the speaking part) I feel I should be offended by the wife beating joke..... but i'm not

Anyways, I've never played adventure games (being too young as stated in the video) so my experience is limited. However I want to try out Monkey Island now
No worries, wife-beating stereotypes exist all around the world (Stella is the drink of choice of brit wife-beaters for example).

Point-and-click adventure games remind me of the golden days when i had time to play ocuntless hours trying to figure out how much wood would the woodchuck chuck if the woodchuck cold chuck wood (yes, this is in monkey island), or the insult-based sword fights... God, i think i'll play it again :D

Dom Camus

Sep 8, 2006
I think this is the first one of the Zero Punctuation series I haven't really enjoyed. Not only because the Irish accent joke ("Monkey Ireland"?) went on far too long and fell a bit flat anyway, but also because it didn't really seem to say anything insightful about the game.

Still, from the above X-hundred comments it seems like the drooling hordes rated it highly, so maybe I'm no longer in the target demographic?

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
There were only two Monkey Island games but they were so great that it is a shame that they never made another.

WHAT'S THAT? I CAN'T HEAR YOU. I SAID THAT IT IS A SHAME THEY NEVER MADE ANOTHER MONKEY ISLAND.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
Conan_Edogawa said:
Stabby Joe said:
Well, in complete fairness, we shouldn't "expect" anything. especially not if it's "on demand". This is Yahtzee we're talking about. he'll review what he chooses to review, and we should just sit back and enjoy the ride.
True but then again in past episodes it's been hinted.