Zero Punctuation: The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
I'm having trouble interpreting which definition of "fixed" Yahtzee is using at the end there.

Frankly I just find it kind of telling that rumors are already spreading about Nintendo moving past the WiiU before the system's sellers are out (Mario Kart, SSB, Bayonetta, X...)

VG_Addict

Jul 16, 2013
JenSeven said:
Yahtzee is actually starting to resemble Top Gear now.

Not so much reviewing something (games or cars) but using the idea of reviewing something to vent their opinions, tangentially related things, or use it as a jumping off point for nonsense and explosions.

Congrats Yahtzee.
I agree. I feel like this video would have been better suited as an Extra Punctuation, instead of a review.

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
Yahtzee, speaking as somebody who listened to what you were saying well enough to notice you stopped reviewing the game almost immediately, I think you're underselling the biggest feature of that Wii U gamepad. If you look at it as a touch screen in competition with the iPad, as this faux review would seem to be, then of course it's going to look rather strange, to say the least: there's no 3G version and it doesn't even have internal storage.

What that Wii U gamepad does is facilitate the family TV doing two things at once. Somebody can be playing a game on the Wii U (maybe even in the next room) while somebody else is using the TV. This is fantastic when you have two kids in the house and one wants to watch a cartoon while the other wants to play the Wii U, as well as when your elderly father is hogging the TV and your 37-year-old shutin self wants to play the Wii U (and I don't think that's just me).

You point out the difference between the computer being in the office and the TV being in the living room, and this one feature alone establishes that Nintendo very much recognizes this.

Roger

Apr 28, 2013
A bit disappointing this rant was wasted on a Zelda that tributes the past while finally breaking out of the stagnation that holds over the series like a murky fog, instead of the reviews of either Zelda title he covered that were quite literally just reheated shiny ports.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
Thanatos2k said:
How are these the same company? Don't ask me.
Keep in mind, two years ago the 3DS was also deemed a failure, even to the point where people were saying the iPhone had clearly made Nintendo's handhelds obsolete and that Nintendo should move to the iPhone market if it wanted to stay relevant to mobile gaming. It's sort of odd to think about now, but it is good to remember that Nintendo really only found its success with the 3DS last year, and before that it was the same doomsday scenario the Wii U is facing. Of course, I'm not saying the Wii U is going to suddenly become a massive success, and it has more to overcome than the 3DS, but it's still not like the 3DS has been without some trouble in the past either.

MoltenSilver said:
Wait, I should probably clarify that:
A GOOD Metroid game.

It's a sad day that I have to be specific with that qualifier relating to Metroid, but Team Ninja just had to go and ruin it for everyone.
Part of me just hopes that Retro Studios will finally be allowed to make a new one now after Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze is pretty much complete. Don't get me wrong, I love Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Country Returns was a fantastic game. Still, I would love to see them make another Metroid game.

Triality

May 9, 2011
It feels more these days like Yahtzee wants to rant like Jim than review games. And you know what? He should. He would be happier and have FAR more free time to catch up on that monumental catalog he has missed because he has to play terrible games and make comedy videos about them for 80% of his work year.

I'm getting tired of watching the same cynicism from this show. It's been getting samey as time goes on, and that does not help its author grow. Zero Punctuation has entered its "Seventh Season" in terms of its value. I'd really love to see Mr. Croshaw evolve his media platform into new areas the way he does with Extra Punctuation.

Piecewise

Apr 18, 2008
Yeah, yeah, wii 1.5 now with pointless ipad controller is a bad idea with no games. Tell us something we don't know.

Dark souls review when? Because dark souls 2 is coming out soon. You got shit to do son.

Khymerion

Apr 10, 2012
I always look at the comments of waving the 3DS as some kind of wonder item, the best selling system of the year, so on and so forth statements in the hopes that it will be evidence that Nintendo is not on the downhill slide towards a non-entity like Atari... that they dominate the hand held market.

Well, considering that officially, the hand held market is only two real entries... Nintendo's 3DS/2DS and Sony's Vita. So of course when you compare those two things, you get a wonderfully rosy picture.

But then there is the realization that there is... well... more to the hand held market. We don't include the various apple products. You know, the Iphone and Ipad. Those are pretty much portable gaming. They move tons. Android phones and tablets? Tons. That is portable gaming.

So then, looking at it like that, Nintendo is really still a second rate product that hangs on the fact that they jealously guard a few IPs that keep people buying a product that if they didn't have Pokemon on it, it would be a foot note in history so far.

It is something to think about. Nintendo really needs to think about what they are doing but I doubt they will.

Grach

Aug 31, 2012
geldonyetich said:
You point out the difference between the computer being in the office and the TV being in the living room, and this one feature alone establishes that Nintendo very much recognizes this.
Hence this "intervention". He treated Nintendo pretty much as a friend with a bad habit, like drinking half a bottle of vodka for breakfast or letting Sakamoto release Other M.

Barciad

Apr 23, 2008
JenSeven said:
Yahtzee is actually starting to resemble Top Gear now.

Not so much reviewing something (games or cars) but using the idea of reviewing something to vent their opinions, tangentially related things, or use it as a jumping off point for nonsense and explosions.

Congrats Yahtzee.
I'm not sure if he would appreciate being compared to Jeremy Clarkson. However,the man does have a couple of reasonable points. The mainstream games industry does seem to be getting more and more farcical by the day. I am still trying to cook up one good reason as to why I would want to buy any of the new games platforms. Gaming technology doesn't need to get any more advanced. Thus, I have my beloved indie scene. My greatest fear being now that they somehow ruin themselves as well. Then I don't know what I'd do.

soandnb

Sep 14, 2013
Roger said:
A bit disappointing this rant was wasted on a Zelda that tributes the past while finally breaking out of the stagnation that holds over the series like a murky fog, instead of the reviews of either Zelda title he covered that were quite literally just reheated shiny ports.
That sounds a lot like what every other reviewer has said about the game. Perhaps Yahtzee intentionally chose this game to do his soapbox because he agreed with what other reviewers were saying for the most part. I have no idea of knowing for sure, though, but if that is infact true, then it would make sense.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Oh Yahtzee, you loveable scamp you. You've done it again and wonderfully so.

Frankly, I don't know that Nintendo can actually do anything to fix their situation this generation sort of putting a new console out and I don't know if that would do anything more than piss off the people who actually bought the WiiU.

Rock and a hard place. And another rock if you ask me.

iniudan

Apr 27, 2011
Hey, I still have a land line phone, but that because it like it is much cheaper then anything on the mobile network, at least in Canada, but would indeed switch to a feature phone, if there was any cheap plan for my usage, as I don't need a smartphone, as I go around with both a tablet (which a smartphone cannot take over some of the duties, like reading technical documentation, due to screen been too small) and a laptop.

Hutzpah Chicken

Mar 13, 2012
Though they still make a great deal of profits, I expect Nintendo will go the way of Atari within the next decade.

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
lassiie said:
It took me the majority of that video to realize that he had stopped reviewing the game....I feel manipulated
Didn't occur to me before we reached the Smelda joke at the very end.. I am not a smart person.

Jman1236

Jul 29, 2008
Another thing that the wii U can do that ps4 and xbox one can't, play older games. Not just Wii titles, but games from over 20 year old consoles.

Osaka117

Feb 20, 2011
I don't know why, but I have the strange suspicion that Yahtzee hasn't done his taxes yet.