Zero Punctuation: The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

nightazday

Apr 5, 2009
In the part where Nintendo was shooting EA as a way to demonstrate it's low third party relations you probably should've chosen a better third party company. All that scene make me did was smile and shout "shoot em again!"

Aardvaarkman

I am the one who eats ants!
Jul 14, 2011
Shoggoth2588 said:
Yes...THAT...I've never known how to spell that out...I'm likely going to forget again in little to no time.
Here's a little hint:

If you don't know how to spell something, then it is probably a good idea not to write it. The same goes for words that you do know how to spell, but don't know the meaning of.

Kyle Davis

Apr 23, 2010
Another blow to non PC gamer? You know not all of us have fun modding the machine or are use to the keyboard/mouse setup.

Anyway you were right to bring up this talk with Nintendo. They do need help at this point. The problem with nostalgia she soon this generation will die and what will they do then?

ImBigBob

Dec 24, 2008
Eh, I'm fine with Yahtzee just ranting on Nintendo, but I was hoping he'd show a LITTLE love toward ALBW. It's way better than the boring slog that was Skyward Sword or the awkward touchscreen controls of Phantom Hourglass. Hell, I'd even say it's the best Zelda game since Wind Waker (the one Yahtzee actually likes). It does play it a bit "safe", but considering it's been several years since we last got one of these games that didn't piss me off every five minutes, then I'm totally fine with it.

quantumsaint

Dec 12, 2007
MB202 said:
So I take it he never actually played A Link Between Worlds... I'm a bit disappointed, honestly, I was hoping to hear what he thought of the new system that allowed you to pick which order you got the items, and thus which order you do the dungeons.
So I take it you didn't actually finish watching the video...

He mentions that the rental system erodes the sense of progression that unlocking a new item used to elicit.

VinLAURiA

Dec 25, 2008
NuclearKangaroo said:
wait... wait...

32GB? as in a 32GB hard drive? you can fit games in there?

i think arkham city alone takes like 20 GB of my PC's hard drive, isnt 32GB painfully little? altough considering the fact nintendo doesnt really cares much about digital distribution it might not be that big of an issue
That's just the internal solid state storage; Wii U has two SKUs, Basic and Deluxe. Basic is white and has 8GB of internal flash storage, but is slowly being phased out. Deluxe has 32GB of internal storage, comes with a game, and has stuff like a GamePad dock and stand for the console. It's now become the main version as they phase out Basic, but it's still only available in black outside of Japan.

Either SKU takes external USB drives if you need more space. And you can indeed fit games on the internal stuff. Not much, but it's there if you don't have an external, plus Nintendo's stuff has never been too big in file size. And they've actually been making a bigger push to digital lately, even though they said physical games will always play a big part.

Grach

Aug 31, 2012
Aardvaarkman said:
In what way is that ironic?
Goddamnit, I'm using ironically wrong again.

Aardvaarkman said:
What do you mean by "less abusive"?
Considering Microsoft was pushing that horrible DRM scheme when the Xbone was announced and the general always on bullshit, I'd just prefer a console that lets me play fun games.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
had to click that button did i?...

VinLAURiA said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
wait... wait...

32GB? as in a 32GB hard drive? you can fit games in there?

i think arkham city alone takes like 20 GB of my PC's hard drive, isnt 32GB painfully little? altough considering the fact nintendo doesnt really cares much about digital distribution it might not be that big of an issue
That's just the internal solid state storage; comes in 8GB and 32GB options. Wii U takes external USB drives if you need more space. And you can indeed fit games on the internal stuff. Not much, but it's there if you don't have an external. And they've actually been making a bigger push to digital lately, even though they said physical games will always play a big part.
while i love digital distribution, and hell i probably wouldnt own legal copies of games if it wasnt for it, i also think there will always be room for physical copies, collectors and such, as well as people who simply prefer to have bulky disc collections

but yeah nintendo should definitively provide bigger storage models, asking customers to provide their own hard drives is not the way to go in my opinion, if thats the case, wheres the "hassle free" experience consoles are supposed to have?

Kyle Davis said:
Another blow to non PC gamer? You know not all of us have fun modding the machine or are use to the keyboard/mouse setup.

Anyway you were right to bring up this talk with Nintendo. They do need help at this point. The problem with nostalgia she soon this generation will die and what will they do then?
just plug in a USB controller and you are ready to go, it made rogue legacy so much more enjoyable for me

Saidan

Aug 22, 2013
Great job Mister Croshaw, as always. Say, did you really catch up and finally played Dark Souls, or was that part of a joke?

Mr_Terrific

Oct 29, 2011
Stopped watching ZP a while back because Yahtzee was on some PC fanboy nonsense and stopped by today for a review of a Zelda game. Instead, we get a rant about a console in the middle of a review for a game that's not even on consoles and here we've found a way to shoehorn in more master race bullshit while crapping on a console that is not even running the game that should be reviewed.

So glad I stopped by....

What a bizarre world we live in where I come to this site specifically for a Sterling and avoid ZP, which is what brought me to the site to begin with.

Aardvaarkman

I am the one who eats ants!
Jul 14, 2011
Grach said:
Considering Microsoft was pushing that horrible DRM scheme when the Xbone was announced and the general always on bullshit, I'd just prefer a console that lets me play fun games.
But Nintendo also uses DRM... so I'm not seeing the logic there. And the other consoles also let you play fun games - but there are a lot more of them to play.

EyeReaper

Aug 17, 2011
I think Yahtzee doesn't understand how amazing the gamepad is because he lives alone. It's a family oriented thing really. You want to play Ducktales, your brother needs to catch up on Hunter x Hunter, both can happen at once! I think it's genius really.
But yes, Yahtzee, you, I and the rest of the world agrees, Nintendo needs more third party, or at least release gamecube games on the virtual console. I could really go for some Custom Robo right now

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
EyeReaper said:
I think Yahtzee doesn't understand how amazing the gamepad is because he lives alone. It's a family oriented thing really. You want to play Ducktales, your brother needs to catch up on Hunter x Hunter, both can happen at once! I think it's genius really.
Yeah, it's definitely an option that, while I myself have little use for it, could see the benefits of it. Still, try telling that to a few friends of mine.

"It's a good idea for when you wanna play games at the same time as someone wants to watch TV."
"Why can't you just tell the other person to fuck off?"
"Because no everyone lives in a setting where they can be rude to the people living with them for the sake of it."
"Well, TVs are cheap these days right? Why not just buy another one?"

It's a tad frustrating.

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
So I'm guessing he couldn't find anything really wrong with the game to nitpick besides the fact that its very same-y from previous games. That and maybe he actually enjoyed it but didn't want to admit it.

And yes if you expect/want something wildly different from past games then yeah you will be disappointed. But in my opinion they changed it just enough without screwing up what works or made Zelda what people love.

Thanatos2k

Aug 12, 2013
MysticSlayer said:
Thanatos2k said:
How are these the same company? Don't ask me.
Keep in mind, two years ago the 3DS was also deemed a failure, even to the point where people were saying the iPhone had clearly made Nintendo's handhelds obsolete and that Nintendo should move to the iPhone market if it wanted to stay relevant to mobile gaming. It's sort of odd to think about now, but it is good to remember that Nintendo really only found its success with the 3DS last year, and before that it was the same doomsday scenario the Wii U is facing. Of course, I'm not saying the Wii U is going to suddenly become a massive success, and it has more to overcome than the 3DS, but it's still not like the 3DS has been without some trouble in the past either.
Yeah but how did they turn the 3DS around?

1. Price drop. The Wii U remains grossly overpriced for the hardware you get.

2. Selection of quality games, ESPECIALLY 3rd party games. On the Wii U, 3rd parties are fleeing the Wii U faster than the Titanic.

3. Gave up on the 3D gimmick. On the Wii U, the tablet controller remains front and center.

The Wii U additionally needs a proper online infrastructure and digital store. Nintendo STILL refuses to use a unified account structure in the 21st century!

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
IS it just me, or does Yahtzee still think that the PS4 is trying to be a media centre when it isn't and doesn't know that the PS4 is trying to be a games console?

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
Thanatos2k said:
MysticSlayer said:
Keep in mind, two years ago the 3DS was also deemed a failure, even to the point where people were saying the iPhone had clearly made Nintendo's handhelds obsolete and that Nintendo should move to the iPhone market if it wanted to stay relevant to mobile gaming. It's sort of odd to think about now, but it is good to remember that Nintendo really only found its success with the 3DS last year, and before that it was the same doomsday scenario the Wii U is facing. Of course, I'm not saying the Wii U is going to suddenly become a massive success, and it has more to overcome than the 3DS, but it's still not like the 3DS has been without some trouble in the past either.
Yeah but how did they turn the 3DS around?

1. Price drop. The Wii U remains grossly overpriced for the hardware you get.

2. Selection of quality games, ESPECIALLY 3rd party games. On the Wii U, 3rd parties are fleeing the Wii U faster than the Titanic.

3. Gave up on the 3D gimmick. On the Wii U, the tablet controller remains front and center.

The Wii U additionally needs a proper online infrastructure and digital store. Nintendo STILL refuses to use a unified account structure in the 21st century!
I'd imagine we'll see a price drop in the next couple years on the Wii U as well. Not to mention, given Nintendo's history with the Wii and 3DS gimmicks, they'll likely minimize their use of the gimmick during that time as well. The games are probably where the biggest question comes in. Whether or not it will have the surge the 3DS eventually got is anyone's guess. Personally, though, I am skeptical. Nintendo has no competition in the handheld market for these developers to go to like they do with home consoles, so anyone wanting to develop handheld games is essentially forced to go with Nintendo, which Nintendo can't rely on for the Wii U.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
WHAT?! HOW DARE YOU DRIBBLE ALL OVER ZELDA!

Yeah, I agree. Nintendo, for all their faults, do make games machines and still hold importance for local multiplayer, not social networking devices or streaming how bad you suck in a laggy Battlefield 4 match because you steal your internet connection from some dolt in Botswana. Nintendo, you really do need to work on some more games and patch things up with third-party developers because they are doing fun things and we abuse you by watching Yahtzee piddle all over your latest offerings because...well, because he's funny, but also because we secretly believe you watch these videos and believe you can use them to improve. And while I'm at it, Microsoft and Sony, "cutting edge tech" doesn't mean "cutting edge by the standards of two years after your last console release." Up your game, dumbasses.

I WILL NEVER WATCH ZP EVER AGAIN! THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT, YAHTZEE!!