Zero Punctuation: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Jailbird408

Jan 19, 2011
Mr Somewhere said:
Regarding the plot hole, when you open an area to explore, you clear the clouds above it...
...but the clouds are never opened until you insert the tablets. So for the milennia before Link was born, there was no sunlight at all. Unless the cloud barrier wasn't very thick...

Mr Somewhere

Mar 9, 2011
Jailbird408 said:
Mr Somewhere said:
Regarding the plot hole, when you open an area to explore, you clear the clouds above it...
...but the clouds are never opened until you insert the tablets. So for the milennia before Link was born, there was no sunlight at all. Unless the cloud barrier wasn't very thick...
We never saw that *shrugs*. Well, *spoilers* the one time we do see the past it was awful dark. *spoilers*

Darmani

Apr 26, 2010
Hal10k said:
The reason people criticize the series for feeling "samey" isn't that absolutely nothing changes. It's that, while the trappings of the story and the nature of the puzzles can vary, the actual underlying formula hasn't changed (at least in LttP-Spirit Tracks; I haven't played Skyward sword, so maybe it drastically reinvents this formula, I don't know). Link is always a person of little notoriety in the world who travels through an abbreviated version of a Hero's Journey story. He sets of on his quest at the behest of Princess Zelda, who is placed in some sort of peril in the first or second act. His eventual goal is always to purge the land of some vaguely evil entity, who can only be accessed by going through dungeons full of arbitrary puzzles and defeating a boss creature at the end that provides something necessary to beating the bad guy.

But having a formula isn't necessarily bad for a series. After all, the Elder Scrolls have used their own formula for some time now (Prisoner inadvertently becomes instrumental to a larger conflict under the supervision of superiors who are oddly content with letting him wander the countryside for months at a time). What makes the series feel samey is the more specific, negative recurring elements. The dungeons almost never make objective sense; they're always laid out in a manner obviously designed to facilitate the Zelda formula, and it's rare for the designers to actually try to disguise this. The series refuses to use voice acting outside of grunts and screams, even though Nintendo has more money than god and could give every character in the game a Dostoyevsky novel's worth of dialogue for 1% of the game's budget. The series always gives Link a supporting character who always hangs around either stating the obvious or saying the things Link is too mute to say himself. It's things like these that makes the underlying formula of the series more obvious to people who have played multiple games. Ergo, the games feel "samey".
Okay this I can agree with. I am even okay with the designated questing area stuff in Yatzhee's review. That's sensible and a bit of my own complaint. Besides we already have a five out of five review on the Escapist that's, in my opinion, more valid. This one is a deliberate hatchet job of flaws over traits, and he effectively admits it. The whole Beta for the next is also a valid criticism on the Zelda design scheme we have the basic outline for a great game but that outline isn't utilized for a seemless and expansive unique thing and worse the series does have instances of sidestepping complexity (Wind Waker)

An honest question of breaking genuinely free feels.. well honest.

But as for "the controls don't work." Don't worry. One that's bullshit, I'm pretty much after Other M utterly resigned to ignore gaming press on control evaluation ESPECIALLY if I sense the twinges of phantom pain from lost hot keys and mice.

Two. My counter-evidence. [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEge_2Vuft0&feature=related].

Mr Somewhere

Mar 9, 2011
Mr Somewhere said:
Jailbird408 said:
Mr Somewhere said:
We never saw that *shrugs*. Well, *spoilers* the one time we do see the past it was awful dark. *spoilers*
Sorry, didn't read the post right. They're clouds, there would still be light. I think we've all seen an overcast day, there's still light.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
I don't understand the hate for this game. It's not the best game ever in the world but it is a competent Zelda game.
The only thing that irked me was the upgrade system rather than the doing their usual thing of making them as rewards for mini games and suchlike.
I think its about a million times better than Twilight Princess.
And for the record I LIKE the zelda formula... it's fun.

It tickled me that they made fun of their own tropes ie. Link being late because he has messed around doing side stuff and the fact that you cat break everyones stuff without them shouting at you. It was a funny addition.

Also voice acting = less content.

Raggedstar

Jul 5, 2011
This is why I like reviews like Yahtzee that don't have a numerical score. I like Skyward Sword and based on my personal experiences I would place it as the best Zelda I've played. However, that comes with a HUGE asterisk. First of all, I haven't played Majora's Mask or Wind Waker. Second, while I admit it's good I have a crapload of complaints (like how it's padded out the yang. Yes, it is over 40 hours long, but how much plot do you think is in that? How much could've been snipped without a whole lot of loss?). Can't exactly put a number on that without going "BUT I SWEAR I LIKED IT!" at the end. Third, while it hasn't aged very well, the Zelda formula isn't bad enough to the point where I'm (personally) sick of it or find it broken. Some people disagree, though I get where they're coming from.

Though I find it funny that 2 of the 3 Zelda games he reviewed included a reference to Okami, always in the context of how it "does Zelda" much better than Zelda itself does (which I agree whole-heartedly). Okami had a similar format to Zelda games (even without Wolf-Link, which I believe was a coincidence and nothing more *cough*), but damn did it hide it better. It wasn't so much "go here and get the sacred flame to prove your worth, now do that 2 more times in the other temples" as it was something fresher and more plot relevant like "steal the kid's key to the temple to save his dog and teach him a lesson in bravery" or "avenge the death of your ladyfriend and bring peace to the coast". Dungeons weren't really treated as (Zelda) dungeons in the game. Just..areas. It blended with the plot and had so much more meaningful context. Skyward Sword felt like it hid some of the similarities at first and then stopped trying after a while. Then it threw up it's arms and went "Screw it, let's make the kiddies collect the tears of light like they did in Twilight Princess WITH the same images but make it more annoying". Kind of makes me want him to go on another release drought and say a little something on Okami. Even if he doesn't worship it or place it on his "Best Gamez Evarr" list, I am interested on his take. Perhaps a potential Extra Punctuation article.

Okami also recycled bosses too, but I was SOOOO frustrated when I faced The Imprisoned TWICE in the same sitting. BLOODY HELL! And it wasn't a particularly long sitting. Just a few hours. I started the game when I was going to face him, and then about 3/4 through I had to do it again!

Wow, I really came down on SS/Zelda hard here. I SWEAR I LIKED THE GAME!

...wait...

Mr Somewhere

Mar 9, 2011
xXxJessicaxXx said:
I don't understand the hate for this game. It's not the best game ever in the world but it is a competent Zelda game.

The only thing that irked me was the upgrade system rather than the doing their usual thing of making them as rewards for mini games and suchlike.

I think its about a million times better than Twilight Princess.
It's a Zelda game, give it a year, maybe two and people will regard it as a classic.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
Lordofthesuplex said:
Funny thing about the "opinions" excuse is that the door swings both ways. If I don't agree with it and think some of his complaints are bullshit, I have the right to call him out as such.
No... you have the right to ignore it and not watch the videos. Opinions are not facts that be proven and disproved, thus there is nothing to "Call him out" on.

Lordofthesuplex said:
I at least expect Yahtzee to be fair and professional which he's forgotten how to do.
What Yahtzee are you talking about? The Yahtzee I've been watching for years has never been "fair and professional".

Lordofthesuplex said:
I also expect him to point out flaws that actually exist instead of blaming his inept ability to work a Wiimote on the game and console instead. I've been playing Wii games since Day 1 and I can tell you right now I can name only one time Yahtzee's complaints about the motion control not being responsive are legit. (And even then he horribly exaggerates it)
Maybe yours works better than his. Have you played on his console? With his remote? How do you know it's perfect?

Lordofthesuplex said:
So yeah, don't give me this whole "he's a critic" bullshit. Critics have credibility. Yahtzee has little.
Actually, no... critics do not need "credibility" to be critics. They need nothing more than their opinion, and someone to listen to it.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
Darmani said:
Besides we already have a five out of five review on the Escapist that's, in my opinion, more valid. This one is a deliberate hatchet job of flaws over traits, and he effectively admits it.
A) Opinions can't be valid, only facts can be valid.

B) With a comment like "It's the worse Zelda game" I don't think he's just nick picking at flaws. I think he genuinely feels it's a poor game that, if forced, he would give a 1/5. (Numbers picked at random to express point)

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Yahtzee bashing a wii game..........didnt see that coming......at all........pure shock........out of the blue...........good god!........fuck it

But I loved Skyward Sword ultimately, pure fun and challenging. Its the one game I fully enjoyed playing all year, and thats out of quite a big list.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Draconalis said:
Darmani said:
Besides we already have a five out of five review on the Escapist that's, in my opinion, more valid. This one is a deliberate hatchet job of flaws over traits, and he effectively admits it.
A) Opinions can't be valid, only facts can be valid.

B) With a comment like "It's the worse Zelda game" I don't think he's just nick picking at flaws. I think he genuinely feels it's a poor game that, if forced, he would give a 1/5. (Numbers picked at random to express point)
For someone who has played the Zelda games since the NES it's not the worst one by far. Twilight Princess is horrible as is Phantom Hourglass (oh god that tower of boring).

stinkyrobot

Nov 20, 2009
While I wasn't expecting him to like it by any standard I'd be intrigued as to how in the world he thinks phantom hourglass is better then skyward sword?

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Why does my wardrobe make a guest appearance at 2:17?
I demand royalties!

Excellent review, say?s everything you need to know about Zelda games, ever!

Oh and my wardrobe is still available for panto?s, mall openings and bar mitzah?s

Smeggs

Oct 21, 2008
Well, was not expecting that review.

Still doesn't change the fact I'm gonna be getting it for Christmas.

Necabo

Jul 11, 2011
Hmmm, I actually think it is quite good.

Though it feels like they forgot some things like decent instrumentation and a fast forward button.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
I'm actually sitting here wondering if he's been playing the same game as me....

It's really not that bad a game by any standard.

geizr

Oct 9, 2008
Yahtzee: Oh, I see you have a Sacred Cow. What would happen if we put this flaming match to it. Hunh! What do you know? It burns quite nicely.

Internet: HEATHEN!! HERETIC!! KILL THE INFIDEL!! ANNIHILATE HIM!! RENT HIS BODY TO PIECES, CREMATE THE REMAINS, AND SCATTER HIS ASHES TO THE FOUR WINDS!!! DEEEEESTRROOOOY HIIIIIMMMM!

I can just imagine the venomous, blood-vessel exploding rage about the internet at the idea of someone giving severe criticism to a Zelda game.