Zero Punctuation: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
The badger being my boy scout patrol's mascot (same patrol name all the way from cub scouts to eagle), I'd love to see a game that involves a badger that jumps out and mauls you every once and a while. The closest I've ever seen was the badger weapon from the Postal 3 trailer.

Magikarp

Jan 26, 2011
One thin gI don't like about these reviews is that I feel I have to acknowledge the bad points of games when he points them out.
I agree that it feels a little small & padded, but I still think it's really good, & not the worst Zelda.
For me, the Zelda formula still works perfectly, & the way this game detracted from it a bit made it seem a bit worse to me.

Hal10k

May 23, 2011
BiH-Kira said:
trollpwner said:
BiH-Kira said:
Same for you. Why put yourself through it if you don't enjoy it?
Because I actually enjoy Yahtzee. (90% of the times or even more often).

I just hate it when he completely forgets that he does have a bigger impact on the community and starts being a complete hypocrite.

He does point out to flaws of the games, he does have good points, but in some cases (like this one), he just sounds dumb (I know he isn't dumb, I say he SOUNDS). He says how all developers do nothing but make the same gray/brown shooter. Then there comes Nintendo, make a really nice game which isn't bad and he stomps it into ground.

Yes, people's tastes differ from each other, but this isn't a different taste. This is someone who intentionally ignores all the good parts of the game and tries to make it sound as bad as possible. Skyward Sword isn't maybe the best Zelda game. I'm not saying it's the best, nor the worst. All I'm saying is that he should be a critic and not a biased, Nintendo hating, 11yo CoD playing brat.

And it did not ruin my day like for the other guy.
I take nothing on the internet serious enough to have a bigger, negative impact on my day. A positive impact? Yes. Negative? Nope. I'm not gonna let something on the world wide web affect me in a negative way.

Me writing this isn't showing that I'm "hurt". It's just a discussion (some critic and some ranting because I have to much free time :p)
Panning Skyward Sword while also panning the COD clones isn't hypocrisy. If anything, it's perfectly in line with his previous opinions. He isn't against the COD clones specifically because they have a limited color palette, or because they limit the number of weapons the player can carry. Remember that he actually gave a fairly positive review to the original Modern Warfare, which established the current trend in shooters in the first place. He pans the clones because they're clones, e.g. variations upon the same story and gameplay with a few superficial changes that don't alter the core experience.

Hence the Zelda criticism. The Zelda games, whatever you might consider their individual merits to be, haven't changed the basic formula to the story since Link to the Past, haven't made any innovations in core gameplay since Orcarina of Time, and haven't made any strides in overworld navigation since Wind Waker. The setting, art style, and individual challenges might be different, but the underlying themes are all the same. Yahtzee criticizes the COD clones because they only make what he sees as superficial alterations to the same formula; Yahtzee criticizes Zelda games because they only make what he sees as superficial alterations to the same formula.

Feb 18, 2009
Well this is a new one: I've actually played the game Yahtzee reviews. I feel...perplexed.
Anyway, very much liked Skyward Sword, yet agree with his points. Great show!

Also "I found a plot hole. Nurse!", instantly a classic ZP quote :D

swatmajor1

Gimme 5 Minutes!
Jan 3, 2008
Sadly, this would have to be the first Zelda game which I lost interest in. Now, I've played every Zelda game to completion (CDi excluded, of cause), but I haven't even gone past the first temple.

The motion controls, while amusing at first, just got in the way of the story and general progression. Take example at the beginning where you jump off the statue. I had to try that 3 times before I got on target. Now, if that was just a normal controller (ie Gamecube Controller) I would have nailed it first time, since it is a interface people are use to.

Now, I will TRY and play it some more, but I find the control scheme a big entry barrier to the experience of the game.

Motakikurushi

Jul 22, 2009
I must thank Yahtzee ever so much for this and revealing what every reviewer on the planet is too afraid to admit, that Skyward Sword is a total fucking disappointment but "christ it's the only game the Wii has so please don't take it away from us".
I honestly think Majora's Mask and Wind Waker are the best Zelda games. They're binary opposites in terms of gameplay mechanics and tone but they each attempt unique directions with the franchise and that at least is something. I find the players who abandoned Majora's Mask out of frustration or a lack of patience mildly humorous, they're missing out on some of the best moments in the franchise. Giving a video game an interesting approach? What a novel idea!
Even if Skyward Sword disgraces the franchise do we honestly think Wii owners wouldn't buy it?

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
geizr said:
Yahtzee: Oh, I see you have a Sacred Cow. What would happen if we put this flaming match to it. Hunh! What do you know? It burns quite nicely.

Internet: HEATHEN!! HERETIC!! KILL THE INFIDEL!! ANNIHILATE HIM!! RENT HIS BODY TO PIECES, CREMATE THE REMAINS, AND SCATTER HIS ASHES TO THE FOUR WINDS!!! DEEEEESTRROOOOY HIIIIIMMMM!

I can just imagine the venomous, blood-vessel exploding rage about the internet at the idea of someone giving severe criticism to a Zelda game.
It's more that fact that the game isn't objectively bad. It's a good game. It's more that his opinion is confusing, than Zelda is some sort of shining example of gaming (which it isn't)

What's worse when some 'burns a sacred cow' or that someone is accused of being a frothing butthurt fanboy when they say 'hang on a minute its not THAT bad.'

McNinja

Sep 21, 2008
itsmeyouidiot said:
Trishbot said:
I am still baffled that Zelda games, out of most games, get the most vitriol from critics and fans for being "too samey" when they're often the most fundamentally different games to exist. Skyward Sword has a totally new world, totally new art style, totally new story, totally new characters, totally new puzzles, totally new upgrade system, totally new world navigation, totally new bosses, totally new items, totally new monsters and races, and a totally new control system that no other video game has... and yet the same "it's too the same" card gets thrown out.

Skyward Sword, while not flawless, is still a more fresh and original game than, say... Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, Saints Row 3, Dead Rising 2/Off the Record, Arkham City, Gears of War 3, Uncharted 3, and even Skyrim. Seriously, Skyrim is great, but it's just a better looking, better playing version of Oblivion/Morrowind/Daggerfall/Arena.[
You said it better than I ever could.

All you ignorant little shits, look at this post, and tell me you don't feel the weight of your own hypocrisy.

If you're going to hate on Nintendo because it's "cool," or whatever, be prepared to be called out on your own bullshit.
It is entirely possible for a game to feel the same without actually being the same. How the game functions at a basic level is still perpetuated through each game, and if someone didn't like it the first time, they won't like it the last time, regardless of how many weapons are new or how sweet the new art style looks.

Also, just because there are new weapons/items/characters added does not mean that much has changed. An annoying character is still an annoying character, regardless of what it looks like. Sure the personality is different, but it is still annoying.

Does the game looks the same? No. Anyone can see that. Does it feel the same? To some, that answer would be a resounding yes.

OuroborosChoked

Aug 20, 2008
I gotta agree with Yahtzee. From the very beginning, I was underwhelmed with Skyward Sword. The TWO HOUR intro of painfully extended and unskippable cutscenes, slow and repetitive dialogue, dated graphics, physically irritating flight controls, trite and generic anime plot, poor camera control all just wore on me... and that was before I got to the surface! All of which just screamed "PADDING" to me. Once I got to the surface, Fi interrupting me with unskippable (or un-switch-offable) instruction bits had me pulling my hair out.

JESUS EFFING CHRIST I KNOW THAT GOING FORWARD WILL ADVANCE THE PLOT! YOU DON'T HAVE TO TELL ME TO KEEP GOING IN THE ONLY DIRECTION I HAVEN'T BEEN YET!

There is only one conclusion: Nintendo thinks you're stupid.

And we must be... or some of us must be to give this game perfect scores. Famitsu gave this 40/40. Another Zelda game with a 40/40. I don't think they dare give one less at this point. IGN couldn't fellate this game any more. Gamespot dared to give it what it deserves: a 7.5/10. It's ok. It needs work. It's NOT perfect. It's pretty dull, padded out, the controls aren't very tight, etc. If someone who's less than five hours in can tell this much, you know something's wrong...

Then again, maybe spending a whole month and half playing Skyrim every day spoiled me into thinking all games can be that awe inspiring, open-ended, and enjoyable...

marioman64

Aug 24, 2010
Oh, come on, you have to admit that judging ANYTHING based on Okami's standards isn't fair, let alone for Zelda. :D

marioman64

Aug 24, 2010
Oh, come on, you have to admit that judging ANYTHING based on Okami's standards isn't fair, let alone for Zelda. :D

Redman54

Aug 8, 2011
There do seem to be a lot of mixed opinions on Skyward Sword, its either an instant classic or decent but without playing it. I credit Nintendo for actually trying to do something interesting with the Wii's motion controls.

Sean951

Mar 30, 2011
Just once, I would like to find a gaming site run by the 3rd party that doesn't seem to hate the hell out of Nintendo. I admit my bias, Nintendo is my favorite console company and Zelda is my favorite franchise, and Skyward Sword did indeed have some flaws. But come on, this is just spite. The plot had tons of new material for canon, the side characters actually became more than 2D people who were only there to give you stuff, and the controls aren't that bad.