Zero Punctuation: The Orange Box

Snap07

Oct 3, 2007
No hard feelings :)

Anyway, do these support cake?
Ive heard Vista comes with a curiousity sphere...

Rjak

Oct 18, 2007
I sat my wife down at my laptop the other day and we watched every Zero Punctuation review in succession and you brought more pleasure into our bedroom than I have in the past 4 years.

Bastard.

Geoffrey42

Aug 22, 2006
RAKtheUndead said:
I've been waiting for one of these debates to spring up...

My opinion is that Ubuntu is Linux for people who can't use proper Linux, much like Java is C++ for people who can't code C++.

Debian, on the other hand, is one of the oldest and most respected Linux distributions out there. I'd use it, had I not a distribution that suits my Linux needs better.

What do I use? OpenSUSE. I have a number of reasons for choosing this distribution over the others, even Debian, which would probably be my second choice.
I was just messing with Russ, as I've always sort of felt like there's no one right Linux, just the one that's right for you. Ubuntu serves me well for what I need, but I can definitely see someone trying to accomplish more needing something a little more robust.

Although, after having learned how to program in C++, and then dabbling in C# (which, from what I'm told, is very similar to Java), I have no reason to ever want to use C++ again. Where are the downsides?

Katana314

Oct 4, 2007
RAKtheUndead said:
My opinion is that Ubuntu is Linux for people who can't use proper Linux
I can't use proper Linux. I also can't use Ubuntu; despite spending several weeks trying to figure it out.
Consulting Google and random forum messages doesn't count as support, geeks.

ANYWAY, I'd prefer it if we got back on topic. Just like Yahtzee we all seem to be getting a bit tangential.

Tesahli

Oct 24, 2007
newage_lightbulb3 said:
Wow! I had to take all of 5 minutes to create a new account because a forum mod went on a power trip. You truly are a force to be reckoned with, dude.

The fact that somebody replied defending Crash pretty much cements my point. And no, I didn't finish HL:E2, but that's not my fault. It's the fault of the game. Because it's boring. I got sick of killing green bugs and being pushed along a strictly linear path through boxy, poorly-detailed corridors with the same goddamn weight puzzle repeated over and over.

Does anybody even remember how good Half-Life was? From HL2 on we have had nothing but more and more mediocrity and less of anything to make this a unique game. And as it gets more and more mediocre, more and more people call it genius. Hence my "you people are stupid" theory, which is holding up pretty well.

In closing, recall that Britney Spears just had a #1 song again, Madonna is a multi-platinum artist, and Halo 3 got more 10/10 scores than any game in history. It means nothing. Success doesn't mean it's good, it means they found some way to hook sales. You've been gimmicked. Enjoy your mediocrity. You're killing gaming.
Oh! Thank god we have you: random forum asshole, to show us the error of our ways with your unfocused criticism and liberal use of insults! I'll make sure to back behind World of Warcraft and Saw IV, or whatever almost certainly stupid game/movie combo you find to be the beacon of light in an otherwise murky sea of "mundane" media.

OrenA

Sep 14, 2007
Me like Portal! Me like Portal!

Me want more Portal!

I wonder if theres some way to portal my way into Valve HQ and steal the sequal (you know they have one)

tiw [deprecated]

Oct 18, 2007
newage_lightbulb3 said:
Wow! I had to take all of 5 minutes to create a new account because a forum mod went on a power trip. You truly are a force to be reckoned with, dude.

The fact that somebody replied defending Crash pretty much cements my point. And no, I didn't finish HL:E2, but that's not my fault. It's the fault of the game. Because it's boring. I got sick of killing green bugs and being pushed along a strictly linear path through boxy, poorly-detailed corridors with the same goddamn weight puzzle repeated over and over.

Does anybody even remember how good Half-Life was? From HL2 on we have had nothing but more and more mediocrity and less of anything to make this a unique game. And as it gets more and more mediocre, more and more people call it genius. Hence my "you people are stupid" theory, which is holding up pretty well.

In closing, recall that Britney Spears just had a #1 song again, Madonna is a multi-platinum artist, and Halo 3 got more 10/10 scores than any game in history. It means nothing. Success doesn't mean it's good, it means they found some way to hook sales. You've been gimmicked. Enjoy your mediocrity. You're killing gaming.
Recursive arguments don't work in logic, self-proclaimed "oppressed straight white male".

Oct 24, 2007
I must have done this ages ago...but I wasn't aware of the forums' existance!

Anyway.

I just don't know how to praise you Yahtzee and your divine work! You are the best reviewer ever existed in gaming history, period!!!

I have been following you since Fable review and link your reviews in my usual internet hangouts...but you are unreal!!!

My likes in a game are very similar to yours. I actually liked the reviews which you liked the game(eg: Psychonauts). Please, please, please do not restrict yourself...do however you see fit. When you review something you don't feel passionate about or you don't fully express yourself then you don't sound as good. You don't have to be ranting and disliking everything!

Anyway, goodluck...this Orange Box review was spot on! I love you Yahtzee!

If you read these posts just know that you rock hard!!!

Can't wait for today's review!

Mromson

Jun 24, 2007
I've watched this video like a zillion times now - and it's still hilarious. I must have some serious issues...

Nevertheless you're getting a 10/10 from me.

Robomanjr

Oct 25, 2007
I'm still on the fence with buying the Orange Box; but I have always been a Team Fortress fan, also Portal looks amazingly fun.

jedikv

Oct 19, 2007
Snap07 said:
Seriously now, do we really want to continue the Halo3 vs Bioshock,Casual vs Hardcore Gaming, Console vs PC automated-thread-inflation? Ive never ever seen any of it actually lead anywhere. One might as well settle the old Windows vs Linux debate in here...
Well the rabid idiot fanboys of the above mentioned categories here will definately cream themselves over another round of pointless arguments citing their own idiotic reasons on why they are "right" and you are "wrong".

Arbre

Jan 13, 2007
That's a nice story. The most refreshing games I played are Katamari Damacy (don't play that one a lot, but the whole idea was neat) and ND. That last one managed to give me nausea just by staring at the screen and jumping through the portals placed randomly.

I suppose the trick in the code is to swap the image in the portal with the real world within one frame, so the player doesn't see the transition. It was already well done back then.

That said, I didn't play Prey, and I heard it had the premises of this.

Etni

Oct 31, 2007
Great review, made me laugh aloud a few times. But please, for fooks sake, slow down a little! Not all of us start the morning with a fistful of amphetamine, so it's pretty difficult for a non-native English speaker to follow when your words per minute is twice TF2 Heavy's rounds per minute.

Maybe I'm just slow but I sometimes had to rewind when I didn't actually manage to notice what was in a picture during the 3 frames it was visible (and during which you spoke about two and half average paragraphs of text). The material in itself is really great, so if you could take a little smaller overdose of coffee before your next review, it would make watching even more fun.

Just my 2 cents.

(Edit: Or, you could just add to the player a special "Zero Punctuation" button that would play the video at about 92.53% speed.)