Zero Punctuation: Titanfall - It's Got Big Stompy Robots

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Vigormortis said:
The White Hunter said:
The CAR is quite obnoxious indeed, functional at ludicrous ranges, outdoes the sniper and marksman rifles handily. My main gripe with the smart pistol is when you can be murdered with it from a good 50 metres away by an abnoxious twat who jumps around in a small space screwing your sniper shots. My lesson learned was not to try snipe in titanfall.
They've actually nerfed the Smart Pistol here and there since release.

Frankly, I'm not sure why, beyond the bitching of the player base. It was barely above "shit tier" to begin with, save for it's effective range. Now the lock on times are ridiculous and hip-fire damage is negligible at best. Hell, in the time it'd take me to lock onto two non-cloaked players at once (and hoping they don't move or turn to see me) I could down both of them, three times over, with a few quick shots of a shotgun.

And while I agree that sniping is mostly useless in Titanfall, once one unlocks the second sniper rifle, and plays on certain maps, sniping can become somewhat useful.

Though, I think we can both agree that the starting SMG and the Hemlok are utterly useless. In every regard.

The shotgun is iffy, I've used it quite a lot, and whilst it's utterly devastating up close, that's kinda the point of it, and it's firerate isn't great and it's range drops off quickly. It's more about timing your shots than anything else, it's very satisfying to use and definately has the prime advantage once you're in corridors and tight rooms, but if you're caught in an open area you're pretty fucked.

Pistols are all but useless I've found.
I feel that the shotgun could actually use a slight effective range nerf. Especially when the leadwall is equipped. Otherwise, I agree.

However, while the auto-pistol is worthless, the other two are pretty fantastic. They're surprisingly accurate and do almost equivalent damage as the smgs. The Wingman is a staple of most of my loadouts. Especially my sniper loadout.

Oha nd electric smoke could do with a nerf vs titans imo, I seem to die faster to it in a titan than I do on foot. ¬_¬
Quite. I also feel like the Stryders could do with a bit less armor. They seem almost as tanky as the Atlas.

Don't get me wrong. I love piloting a Stryder. It's just...it doesn't feel quite as challenging as piloting an Atlas or an Ogre.

The matchmaking is also iffy, as others have said, it tends to be a landslide victory or an absolute curbstomp in my experience thus far.
Indeed it is.

Hopefully, the inclusion of private lobbies and the new matchmaking system currently in beta help to alleviate these issues.
1) Yeah it's mostly the effective range that's an issue, though it is annoying to be killed by it for obvious reasons.

2) Both of those are largely pointless when the starting rifle outdoes them both in every aspect.

3) I would say the range on leadwall is bullshit, it's a bit too far, but without leadwall you need a headshot pretty fast, most of the time I die to the omnipresent assault rifle though, so it's rarely an issue. If it's any consolation I just run the drum magazine with the parkour kit, very useful for getting about and defending objectives with wallhang.

4) Auto-pistol is the most useless thing in the game, the Hammond is alright for a finisher if you run dry on your primary, the wingman plays a similar role but it has a pretty awesome range on it, if only it felt a bit more satisfying to use. It's just me but revolvers should sound big.

5) Stryders definately need a bit less armour, it's frustrating to die up close to them in an Ogre because of their dash abuse and higher-than-expected armour, when realistically once cornered the Ogre should crush them. They seem to take that one too many hits. I mostly use the Ogre as it fits my playstyle in titans better, I tend to be precise, flank, or in last titan standing I have been known to go for nuke kills when the opportunity to take a few enemy's down presents itself.

6) Yup, matchmaking seems to be being sorted out, I have had a few miserable matches against people who just destoryed us, and that's not really me sucking, I'm not amazing at the game but I'm pretty good and know my way around the maps pretty well. It also seems to always chuck in a couple of guys who will do nothing but die in attrition even when you do well, so yeah, hopefully it gets sorted.

proghead

Apr 17, 2010
I had played the beta and it was fun. Not 60? fun though. Might get it when it becomes cheaper. If it becomes cheaper, being from EA and stuff...

I've said it about Battlefield before, and I'll say it again here: MP-only games should be subscription based. Or at least have that as an option.

jplapointe

Jun 8, 2007
Given A) I'm not really all in for multi-player only to begin with
and B) I'm going to need to upgrade my gaming PC to make the darn thing run, I think I'll pass.

I'm sure it's been said plenty, but, please add my name to the petition for local server support. Once that is released I will re-evaluate my opinion. Unless it ends up on Steam in a sale, because then I will be forced to compulsively buy it.
(Note to self - avoid Steam until payday.)

Now, where do I send the creme eggs?

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
The only thing I am hoping Titanfall will inspire, is someone to make a better, more involved mech game.
That isn't trying its hardest to supplant Call of Duty, and doesn't require Origin or me giving money to EA.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
I do wonder what's up with this industry-wide obsession over making things multiplayer only. It seems to me like it's an excuse to do as little work as possible, making content as thin as it can be because they've rendered themselves incapable of really adding true variety due to wasting so much effort and money as stupid crap.

kortin

Mar 18, 2011
It amuses the hell out of me that people are so upset about Titanfall being multiplayer only

"BUT WE WANTED A TACKED ON SINGLE PLAYER" they scream from the rooftops, "YOU KNOW, LIKE CALL OF DUTY"

I do agree that it's too expensive though.

kortin

Mar 18, 2011
The White Hunter said:
The CAR is quite obnoxious indeed, functional at ludicrous ranges, outdoes the sniper and marksman rifles handily. My main gripe with the smart pistol is when you can be murdered with it from a good 50 metres away by an abnoxious twat who jumps around in a small space screwing your sniper shots. My lesson learned was not to try snipe in titanfall.
You would have been killed much quicker by any other gun. Literally any other gun in the game would have killed you quicker. That's not a case of the smart pistol being good, that's a case of you just being bad.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
The weird thing that I don't get is that it openly declares Multi-Player only (as in, no shitty single player in exchange it was a quality multiplayer) and yet people are complaining about it. Why bother commenting or hating on it?

All the criticisms of Titanfall seem less of quality and more of "Oh it doesn't have THIS". Yahtzee made it funny but he did not pick up more on the content being under "Classic Mode"

Mad World

Legacy
Sep 18, 2009
Country
Canada
People need to stop complaining about the lack of singleplayer. The developers clearly didn't have one in mind, and that could be a good thing. Games like Battlefield, in my opinion, should never have had singleplayer. It was bland, generic, and short. Just wasted time which could have been used instead for improving the multiplayer (which most know desperately needed further optimization). Unless, of course, a separate team works on the singleplayer; I suppose that that negates the notion that adding singleplayer takes time away from working on the multiplayer.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
kortin said:
The White Hunter said:
You would have been killed much quicker by any other gun. Literally any other gun in the game would have killed you quicker. That's not a case of the smart pistol being good, that's a case of you just being bad.
It's a case of I should have not bothered using the sniper rifle.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Vigormortis said:
The White Hunter said:
Though, I think we can both agree that the starting SMG and the Hemlok are utterly useless. In every regard.
That is a pretty hard argument to break as the Hemlok is a fantastic weapon. Reminds me of the M16 from COD4, but without the bullet tracking.

Give it either the star-burst (Usually kills in one burst) or the extended mag and you're good to go.

Makabriel

May 13, 2013
kortin said:
The White Hunter said:
Yeah, I kinda question the validity of their comment of the smart pistol. Having leveled through it at least twice, I know you can't jump and use that thing with any usable accuracy. If the both of you are standing still and you don't know he's there? Yeah, you're screwed. But moving on both your parts? Hell, a grenade is more reliable than the smart pistol in that case..

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
Atmos Duality said:
The only thing I am hoping Titanfall will inspire, is someone to make a better, more involved mech game.
That isn't trying its hardest to supplant Call of Duty, and doesn't require Origin or me giving money to EA.
Every game in the mechwarrior series should satisfy you. And mechwarrior 4 is freeware right now. Even has online multiplayer that still works.

Magmarock

Sep 1, 2011
Eldritch Warlord said:
Typical Escapist members will complain. Anyone who actually wants to play a multiplayer shooter would applaud the decision though.

Too bad few people here are likely to accept that there's any hypocrisy in calling Titanfall "half a game" since it's multiplayer only when they'd never even dream of saying the same of a game because it's singleplayer only.
That's because a single player games only needs one play to be enjoyed. This is kind of a no brainier. One player buys one game and gets enjoyment out of it. For TitanFall multiple players have to buy it and play together. Even MP focused games such as UT had bots which made for some good single player fun.

$80 for a g same that can't even be enjoyed on it's own, are you serious. Developers are taking the piss.

Mad World said:
People need to stop complaining about the lack of singleplayer. The developers clearly didn't have one in mind, and that could be a good thing. Games like Battlefield, in my opinion, should never have had singleplayer. It was bland, generic, and short. Just wasted time which could have been used instead for improving the multiplayer (which most know desperately needed further optimization). Unless, of course, a separate team works on the singleplayer; I suppose that that negates the notion that adding singleplayer takes time away from working on the multiplayer.
People complain about the lack of single because there is a lack of single player FPS coming out of this industry. I agree that BF's single player was terrible and I think the the same about COD's single player too. But the market is being smothered with these multi player only/focused games and those of us who like our single player games weather it be Quake style or Half Life style are being starved.

All these MP focused games need is too things. 1. decent bots like UT (for those of us who are antisocial and want good arena action) and a smaller price tag.

On top of that the industry should make some more single player games to fix this balance.

Thanatos2k said:
Well, what is the last single player game that Valve has made? Because of the last six they've made five have been multiplayer only (TF2, Left 4 Dead, Left 4 Dead 2, Dota 2, Alien Swarm. Portal 2 being the game with single player)
True, I'd like to point out that those games could still be enjoyed to an extent in single player thanks to bots and stuff

C14N

May 28, 2008
I actually kind of like the idea of having multi-player only games. It means they can focus one what they're actually good at and not tack on a pointless, mediocre single player campaign that almost nobody plays anyway, even if this particular example does sound a bit sparse. Also, it makes it much easier for me to ignore it.

I do have to say though that $80 sounds like a lot more than what I've seen. Not sure what the currency conversion to Aussie dollars is but I've gotten emails offering this to me for ?25-30.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I don't know what a canoly is, but I can think of plenty of other things I'd like to shove up EA's ass; starting with a flagpole and going up from there.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Lovely Mixture said:
josemlopes said:
I don't buy anything related to EA cause I have no desire to support them regardless of the quality of their games. Don't know about other people though.
So even if they actually start doing good things you still wouldnt buy anything from them because of what they once did? Why not just not buy when its tied with bad practices? Why all the time?
Lovely Mixture said:
The White Hunter said:
josemlopes said:
I have just seen plenty of cases of people that wanted Titanfall but didnt bought it because it was from EA.
That's just sad.

They should've bought it to encourage EA to release fully functional multiplayer rather than broken piles of wank like Battlefield 4.
I don't think that would encourage them either way, considering that most people who bought Battlefield 4 probably WANTED a functional multiplayer. All it encourages EA is to "release games."
If people hadnt gone into the pre-order bandwaggon and actually avoided buying Battlefield 4 because of how it was then maybe the lesson would go through. They care about money so if we dont give it to them when they fail they will learn not to fail. Titanfall wasnt a fail.

mariomario

Nov 22, 2009
The cancerous point of Dark Souls fanboyism is when they start butting the game into conversations that had nothing to do with it. Clear to see where Yahtzee is now.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Racecarlock said:
Every game in the mechwarrior series should satisfy you. And mechwarrior 4 is freeware right now. Even has online multiplayer that still works.
Actually, Mektek lost the rights to provide MechWarrior4 when MechWarrior Online came out and it hasn't been free for over a year now.

...I still have my copy of Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries regardless, but I've worn that out.
(I've made something like 200 variants, with lance assignments.)

Apart from the MW series, there really isn't anything that isn't Online-Only.
Which makes me very sad indeed.