Zero Punctuation: Tomodachi Life - Nintendo Life Simulator

Z Mann Zilla

Jul 2, 2014
I think calling Tomodachi Life a "life simulator" is like calling any given Mario game "a day in the life of a plumber". TL in many ways is The Sims by way of Monty Python.

That said, I do agree with the LGBQAQ folks who feel that the game didn't include them. That's why I was happy to see Nintendo stating that the next installment (if there is one) will be more inclusive (source: http://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/c4fwbi-uave2t9r1h7sfzx0aoa-d4pgx).

Razorback0z

Feb 10, 2009
Are there prizes being handed out for defending homosexuality or something? Seems like the thing to do these days if you have a public voice. Personally Id be pretending to care about womens rights, more likely to get a root that way at least.

Geier makes a good point, there are 100 minority groups not represented in the mainstream media, I guess this is just the one that's trendy right now. "ooh look Ive got gay friends and I understand their needs".

Yeah most impressive.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Razorback0z said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
geier said:
Like a fitness simulator in which there're no fat people.
You seriously used that example for this response?

And I thought I was Asperger's.
Calling me autistic because you don't like my choice of analogy is very rude and mean, good sir. You're class of 2009, you should know your Code of Conduct by now.

Razorback0z

Feb 10, 2009
Johnny Novgorod said:
Razorback0z said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
geier said:

Calling me autistic because you don't like my choice of analogy is very rude and mean, good sir. You're class of 2009, you should know you Code of Conduct by now.
Pot/Kettle.

Read Geier's post. You may as well have called him fatass.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Razorback0z said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Razorback0z said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
geier said:

Calling me autistic because you don't like my choice of analogy is very rude and mean, good sir. You're class of 2009, you should know you Code of Conduct by now.
Pot/Kettle.

Read Geier's post. You may as well have called him fatass.
I did no such thing. He equated lack of obesity in a relationship game to a lack of possible relationships in a relationship game. All I did was explain why in my opinion that reasoning was illogical. No personal attacks were hurled.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Wait, wasn't the reason behind the removal of gay relationships due to the fact that the same part of the program which ran them also caused save file corruption?

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
Lack of LGBTQ aside, *Insert mutterings* I like the game. Yeah, there's not a ton to do, but it's oddly something that I like playing. There's a demo out now, so I suggest at least that.

Also, yeah, I lied to the game about my gender, so it could be worse. I mean make a Mii that looks like you, but the other gender, an fill in the rest as you normally would, and it's close enough. Not great, but close.

Also, I wish he included his QR code in the review. :p

Coolblue

Feb 18, 2014
The Hungry Samurai said:
I really hope this game inspires you to make a Super Smash Yahtzee All Stars game In which we can have all of your characters and imps and whatnot beat the crap out of each other at the whim of your uncaring disembodied hands.

After every match you can tell us all how our technique sucks while not pausing for breath.

Occasionally someone will land a solid upper cut and an image of Jim Sterling will appear shouting TOASTY! Just because.
Half of your idea already exists, it's called the Mii Fighters in the new Smash Bros games.

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
That was the funniest ZP I've watched in ages. I loved the references to Mogworld and jam in there.

I want the next 'Let's Drown Out' to be of Yahtzee's Tomodachi Life game.

AdagioBoognish

Member?
Nov 5, 2013
Imre Csete said:
Oh God, that ending credits animation!

That's so wrong and yet so hillarious.
I almost didn't watch the whole episode for not giving a shit about the game, but that animation made it worth it.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
thaluikhain said:
Evonisia said:
I'm pretty sure most people were outraged at what Nintendo did rather than how much work it would have required to do the right thing, much like with Ubisoft.
I think in both cases it was what they said once it'd started becoming a thing. The initial issue wasn't good to make them look great, but then they reached for their keyboards and typed themselves in much deeper.
oh, yes, totally.

" we fixed a bug that was deleting save files and bricking 3DS for some people"

"you fucking homophobic monsters"

xyrafhoan

Jan 11, 2010
Yahtzee is spot-on about this thing. This barely qualifies as a game. You feed and clothe and house your Miis and (vaguely) direct who they can or cannot be friends or "sweethearts" with, but your input is absolutely minimal. Who knows what the criteria is for various levels of friendships. Why are my Miis rolling on the ground of their apartments? Why do they have all this junk to hand out to me like they raided the local Goodwill? How could banana splits be anyone's worst food of all time?!

But it's so damn weird sometimes that you end up spending several hours watching this bizarre spectacle of your Miis hooking up and having surreal dreams and spawning mutant children. I made my tabletop group's Shadowrun characters and having my OTP hook up in the game made me unreasonably happy considering how little influence I had on anything but the proposal. I got my money's worth out of this, somehow, but this "game" should probably be free or at least sub-$10 considering every day has the same progression, just a slew of different items to collect and the possibility that more of your Miis will intermingle and do something weird for your amusement.

Australian Justice
Jan 30, 2010
Coolblue said:
SNIP

TL;DR: Stop giving Nintendo garbage for things they're not even intending to say or do. They're not looking to hurt anyone, and they'd be better off with people like you jabbing at their backs and cutting them every time they walk out of rhythm.

^ what he said and also this
I really don't think the developers honestly went in with the intention of lets upset the LGBT community by not including same sex marriages, when clearly they were aiming the game at kids. If this is the pinnacle of LGBT rights then they're beginning to grasp at straws.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
This again, huh? I find it strange how few people are willing to take the time to acknowledge the fact that this game wasn't crafted with Western sensibilities in mind. Foreign markets are not the primary audience. It was made in Japan, for Japanese people. A country where gay marriage isn't legal and hardly spoken about.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
Osaka117 said:
Yes but more importantly who married Slippery John? I won't be able to sleep well until I know.
I'm curious about this as well, what with him now having been cuckolded when Mr. Wonderful moved in on his comatose, non-consenting, player-character "wife".

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
I'm sorry, I know we are supposed to be having a constructive debate about the issues raised.

But seriously, am I the only person weirded out by Mr Penis face having a tongue - that comes out of his face penis?

Zombie Badger

Dec 4, 2007
geier said:
I fail to see a problem with excluding LGBTQAQ. I'm obese. Just like 50% of americans and mexicans or 30% of the germans. How many games are there that let me play as a fat guy?
Ask any fat person how they are treated from others. I don't think LGBTQAQ are treated worse then fat people. Am i supposed to protest now until all games include fat people?
Because in most American states fat people are not allowed to marry.

Zombie Badger

Dec 4, 2007
42 said:
Coolblue said:
SNIP

TL;DR: Stop giving Nintendo garbage for things they're not even intending to say or do. They're not looking to hurt anyone, and they'd be better off with people like you jabbing at their backs and cutting them every time they walk out of rhythm.

^ what he said and also this
I really don't think the developers honestly went in with the intention of lets upset the LGBT community by not including same sex marriages, when clearly they were aiming the game at kids. If this is the pinnacle of LGBT rights then they're beginning to grasp at straws.
The problem wasn't that the game didn't have gay relationships in the first place, it was that after they removed them (they were added by a bug) their response was an extremely patronising, "We we were only trying to make a whimsically fun game, not political commentary", thereby implying that gay people are restricted from ever being whimsical fun and that acknowledging their existence constitutes a political statement.

Imagine if this was about the subject of race, for contrast. If a Nintendo life sim had only been designed with white characters and then a glitch allowed black people, but Nintendo's response was 'We didn't include black people because it wasn't meant to make political commentary'.