Zero Punctuation: Transformers: War for Cybertron

Airsoftslayer93

Minecraft King
Mar 17, 2010
Nice review, i have to say, for the very short time i played this game, i encountered many of the same things, apart from using a slightly bigger gun, transforming basically is useless unless your flying

Metalteeth9

Apr 16, 2009
This review came at a bit of a surprise to me actually. Now, I haven't actually played WfC yet, but I plan to (or at least, planned to). I had heard lots of good things about the game. And I know Yahtzee usual destroys games, but this one felt even more destroyed than usual. Now, I am nervous about wasting time on my Gamefly subscription to get the game...

EDIT: Should probably make this clear: My total knowledge of Transformers can be summed up in one sentence.
"Good robots lead by Optimus Prime fight bad robots, lots of explosions." That is all I know, never followed the series. But the game looked good to me. Maybe all the reviews are tinged with Transformers love? Similar to how GTA4 was universally acclaimed, more from it's legacy, not the actual game.
/controversial opinion!

Hollywooda

Nov 15, 2007
I dont mind when you dont like something as long as its funny!!, thats your thing, but that review was Whine, whine, whine.... just boring, like listening to a old person who doesnt underatand why the kids like robots that transform!?. Yer, we get it, its been a slow month, just fcuk off on holiday till some descent games come out & stop putting this dog sh1t out.

Mangue Surfer

May 29, 2010
I also don't like transformers. But I like old school shooters. Yes I know, same addiction other drug. The fact is, Transformers is the less worst kind off old school shooter of recent times. I mean, There's no proper cover system and I can jump and shoot accurately. Can I jump and shoot accurately in GoW?! Unfortunately not.

Knightvision

Jan 7, 2010
this game really did ooze mediocrity. run of the mill shooter with a storyline that only fans of the series could be bothered caring about.

Good review. Although many may think Yahtzee was being harsh id say the game got off easy for his standards. Iv heard better games get verbally raped by him.

ward0630

Nov 25, 2009
Another holiday? Oh well, I can't pretend Yahtzee doesnt deserve it. Great video, loved all the tumble drier and cardboard box fights.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Lucane said:
For an answer in the Transformers universe itself:​
"We used stealth by turning into loud vechiles that no robot had ever seen that could only really ram into other robot's."

Somehow that made even less logical sense then I thought it would. :p

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
tredecim said:
I was completely aware they existed only to sell toys. I didn't care - the toys were awesome.

I'm actually disappointed that T:WFC isn't any good. It seemed like it had potential.

Why can't any decent developer actually make a game which takes advantage of the fact things transform into other things! The last game to do that was M.A.S.K. on the ZX Spectrum!
It's a little dated now but...

Robotech:Battle Cry​

Alandoril

Jul 19, 2010
So five years ago it was cool to love all cartoons of the 1980s, now it's cool to hate them. Full circle I guess. NEXT.

It is a good game though.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
*goes to play the Armada based game on the PS2*

*shoulder rams decepticlones off of cliffs*

Now that was the best TF game ever.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Good one! I agree, I could only play through 3 chapters of Decepticon. It's really lame. The transforming thing is a total gimick and the flying sucks balls. The game looked like you're in big grey metal boxes. I get it, they're machines. But comon! And yeah, Megatron was overdone "Don't fail me, Starscream, or I'll rip your balls off and choke you with them!" ... sigh. So bad.

The jokes were a lot better than some of the recent EPs. Less dick waving and more insulting. I like.

TheBlueRabbit

Ballistic Comedian
Jan 9, 2009
tredecim said:
I was completely aware they existed only to sell toys. I didn't care - the toys were awesome.

I'm actually disappointed that T:WFC isn't any good. It seemed like it had potential.

Why can't any decent developer actually make a game which takes advantage of the fact things transform into other things! The last game to do that was M.A.S.K. on the ZX Spectrum!
Wait. THERE WAS A M.A.S.K. GAME? Why didn't I know this?!?!

OT: I think we all knew it was a marketing ploy by Hasbro. Most of the kids I knew didn't care. We were hooked anyway.

As for nostalgia being enough to make a game likeable, I'm ashamed to admit..........in this case it worked for me.

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
I had a strong feeling that he'd bash this game. It surely isn't the best when it comes to 3rd-person shooting, but it's certainly better than every Transformers game before it.

Croaker42

Feb 5, 2009
snowman6251 said:
My only experience with transformers as a child was one toy that could transform between a robot and a dinosaur. Go figure that one out.

Also the process of making it transform was incredibly obnoxious and took at least 5 minutes which sucks when you're trying to play robot dinosaur vs spiderman.
Beast Wars was great. I had the Praying Mantis and the Rhino those at least were not too complicated.
My GI Joes always rode them into battle against my horde of Z-Bots. Such hopeless battles *tear* many a Joe was lost to those wars. (lighter fluid)

OT; Great as always.
Keep doing what you are doing.

K84

Feb 15, 2010
Funny review, as always, and i love it when Spider-Man 2 pops up.
I love that game.

Varrdy

Feb 25, 2010
Although I have not played this game and never will, this just goes to reinforce my opinion that games made from movies / TV series are generally a big bag of wank. Cheap, badly-made tie-ins that are thrown together in a half-arsed manner and kicked out the door to squeeze a few more quid out of the franchise.

Even something that had a bit of effort put into it turned out to be shite - can you guess what? It starts with "G", ends in "s" and has the letters "h, o, s, t, b, u, s, t, e and r" in the middle.

It doesn't work the other way either although I will hold my hand up and say that Max Payne (the film) was alright in my opinion.

Wardy

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
*goes to play the Armada based game on the PS2*

*shoulder rams decepticlones off of cliffs*

Now that was the best TF game ever.
Agreed.