Zero Punctuation: Two Worlds II

L8NEYET

Dec 6, 2010
EvetscipE said:
Two worlds 2, while being vastly superior to it's predecessor is still a TERRIBLE GAME! The controls are beyond stupid, the story is pathetic and the animation is lazy!

The story changed sevral times, names change and the main villain is alive in this despite being killed in the end and your sister's name changes in the same game from Kyro(k-eye-rah) to Kyra(K-ee-rah) and the orc female is apparently not an orc at the start but an orc at the end

the controls on xbox:
X=map
Y=quests
D-pad down=Unsheath sword
LT=Sprint, and sneak, AND block

I'm not saying not to buy the game, but if you do, keep your receipt h

and what yahtzee said about the button press>action delay...that isnt your PC, mate, it's the game, it's like that on all platforms >.>andy
I purchased this game used while waiting for something better to come out and I like Western style RPG's. And after playing Two Worlds Two for about 4hrs I realized that the game was going nowhere. I agree with everything Yahtzee said and actually think he was being nice for giving this awful game more credit than it deserves. The movement was clunky, the inventory system sucked, the combat system was even worse, and the plot was nowhere to be found and don't get me started with the shops. This is why I like Elder scrolls so much! You see something you like, you kill the bastard! At least I got my money back, unlike the poor sap who purchased the game before me.

gellert1984

Apr 16, 2009
But Yahtzee didnt cover the most important aspect, do they switch back and fore between normal modern english and ye olden times theeing and thouing english, mid sentence. That really ended the first game for me, just gave me a headache.

Castle_Bravo

Jul 22, 2010
Great review. While every Zero Punctuation has been poignant, if not unnecessarily harsh, this weeks Two Worlds 2 is a return to form. It seems like the last few vids have been less 0y and more punctiony, but this is a return to fast paced wit without breath. Bravo.

LegsyWegsy

Jan 31, 2008
to be honest Yahtzee would seem like the sort of person whod enjoy Magicka, it seems more or less right up his street
heres hoping he does a review

RyQ_TMC

Apr 24, 2009
Well, it is true that today's fantasy seems to be "darker" by default, where witches are bitches, but actually on the protagonist's side, every king is either a power-hungry prick or an idiot in shiny armor, and every knightly order is a military arm of an oppressive religion dedicated to stomping down on free thinkers... I remember that was something new and exciting to me when after exposure to Forgotten Realms I had my first run-in with The Witcher saga, but then again, (1) I was 13 at the time, and saw any attempt at "darkening" as cool and edgy, and (2) it didn't take me too much time to notice that they've basically exchanged one set of tired cliches for another.

But then again, what isn't "darker and edgier" these days? The fascination with zombies and vampires seems to have reached an all-time popcultural high, no music band ever comes out without completely black outfits and eyeliner (whatever happened to the guys who just wore jeans and old t-shirts?), and pretty much every reimagining of an old franchise is marketed as "darker and edgier". It's not just about fantasy and not just about videogames.

Adam28

Feb 28, 2011
Another great review, the now darker gloomy RPGs actually are starting to put me off them all. Guess that will change Friday with Pokemon B/W, don't think that could be any more of the opposite of what these darker games are like.

KelsieKatt

May 14, 2008
Srdjan Tanaskovic said:
you play a demanding game on a laptop?
I don't think I'd even call it a demanding game. I'm still running on my Geforce 8800 from 4 years ago and have no trouble running the game almost maxed out at 1680x1050 with consistently at least 25FPS or better.

That's hardly cutting edge. He must have a really slow laptop.

And as other people have mentioned, it allows you to swap between 3 different entire sets of weapons and armor. That was Yahtzee's own fault for not paying attention to the tutorial or reading the instructions.

Granted, as far as the actual game, it has a fair number of problems outside of that and it could be a much better game, but his complaints seem to be more his own fault.

I personally found it to be a huge improvement over the original and I think people should give it a shot, just don't expect a lot.

The best way I can describe the overall gameplay and art style is the Fable and Gothic games mixed together. The combat seems to take some inspiration from the hack n slash style of Fable, and the heavier RPG stats of Gothic. It strikes a weird balance between the two, if you're hoping for something as smooth/actiony/responsive as Fable, it's a bit behind in that regard. And if you're hoping for something with more RPG depth the likes of Gothic or other more hardcore-ish RPGs, it's not as deep, but the controls work a lot better. Basically, it's the middle ground between a mix of the two. It's kind of interesting and fun if you can ignore the rough edges, but still could use good amount of polish on the concept to make it a solid game. it's still a *huge* improvement over that pile of shit first game though.

I'd recommend most people if they're curious either give it a rental or wait until the game is available at budget price. Not remotely worth more than that, but it's still kind of entertaining.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
I played the game half way through and I can very well say regarding the storyline which is a tangled mess.The inventory is as well very chaotic and quite challenging to shuffle through to find the right item/ingredient that you need.

So couldn't agree more with you Mr.Croshaw,great review yet again!

Levethian

Nov 22, 2009
He said in his column that he had been playing Two Worlds 2 so this isn't surprising. Couldn't get into TW2. It should be reasonably simple to execute an RPG story which isn't time-specific or immediately desperately urgent and instead draws you in over time. Beginning the game in desperate fashion always makes the pre-real-quest lull difficult.

SO disappointed with Bulletstorm. Thought it was going to usher in some kind of FPS revolution.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
Puff the magic dragon is a rather bitter sweet song if you get to the final verse

UltraXan

Mar 1, 2011
Yet another satisfying review. I don't know what is with this episode, though... I think I got hypnotized by the video and before I knew it, it was over...

geizr

Oct 9, 2008
Say what you want about JRPGs, at least they create new and different worlds with each one(admittedly, the characters are often just paper-thin cut-outs). Western RPGs = Lord of the Rings or D&D(which is just another form of Lord of the Rings), almost every single time. (Don't get me wrong, I love Lord of the Rings, but it's not the only possibility for a fantasy setting.)

As for the bleak, dark settings, you can blame that on the gamers that always complained about games that were colorful and happy and gave praise to all the dystopian, monochromatic color-palette games as being realistic.

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
eh...numerical keyboards ctrls never work for me
also, that poor 'credits' imp :p

MowDownJoe

Apr 8, 2009
2W2 is actually fully aware it doesn't deserve a sequel. Hell, it makes alot of jokes about Two Worlds 1.

Tempest13

Aug 23, 2010
Hey! We feel the same about open world Western RPGs! I almost never get them because of that, seeing as the one time I picked up New Vegas I ended up saying fuck the tutorial, murdered everyone in town, ganked their stuff, and went on to do battle with every NCR, Powder Ganger, and irradiated bug in sight. It's fun, but one break and I lose all motivation to attempt the story.

TheDudeEM

Mar 1, 2011
I have to agree with Yahtzee about how most Western RPGs tend to have so much side missions that you forget the main plot. When I was playing Oblivion, I had actually forgotten what the purpose of the main mission was while doing the five other 'main' side quests (assassins guild, fighter's guild, etc).

Loved it when he started playing with the Two Worlds Two title.