Zero Punctuation: Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

bumbum

Mar 25, 2009
Great as usual Ben. I lolled hard at the Mother wall and Baby brick picture/analogy :)

To all those who decide whether to buy the game based on this review - get real. Trust the opinions of friends/forums/magazines who don't have 'I gotta be funny' as their main agenda.

Yhatzee's is only an opinion, and one that puts hilarity and being funny before actually being a serious review - but that should be obvious to anyone with half a brain.

He has generally good taste in games (in my humble opinion :p), but admittedly over-plays/ under-plays things to comic effect.

Most of us come to ZP for a laugh, not for teh serious review.

haruvister

Jun 4, 2008
Let's face it, Yahtzee's right about Uncharted 2 - it's awful pretty but awful average. People might say they don't take Yahtzee's reviews seriously, but I fancy they're just being a wee bit precious.

ItsAPaul

Mar 4, 2009
Holy crap, a ZP without that annoying news ad tacked on at the end. Also, thumbs up as always. Personally I don't care for indiana jones clones (never played a Tomb Raider either) so everyone saying its the best thing ever doesn't mean anything to me. Nice to know its a bunch of meh with superior graphics like the majority of games out there.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
haruvister said:
Let's face it, Yahtzee's right about Uncharted 2 - it's awful pretty but awful average. People might say they don't take Yahtzee's reviews seriously, but I fancy they're just being a wee bit precious.
Or perhaps they acknowledge him as a comedian first, and reviewer second?

There's nothing precious about it. Any man that hates just about everything will have a hard time being taken seriously by anyone.
[sub]And I'm not saying I don't like Yahtzee. I'm saying that he makes his reviews funny, and therefore, tries to focus on the negatives of a game. He said it himself in his BioShock review.[/sub]

As for me: I really liked Uncharted 2. It didn't really bring anything new to the table, but name me a game from the past 3 years that has.

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
lwm3398 said:
Damn. You know, my friend told me it was a great game, all cinematic and adventurous and sandbox-y... I was just gonna wait for a little confirmation.

Well, it seems I've saved sixty dollars.
He said that it was all of those things (with the possible exception of sandboxy, as it's definitely linear), in addition to "every other catch phrase from the game review-o-meter". It's just not very original or groundbreaking.
He obviously didn't hate this game. He enjoyed it, and bets that you will, too. He just doesn't like the fact that there's nothing new here, and thinks it's ultimately forgettable.
I happen to disagree about its memorability. It's definitely derivative of other games, and blatantly copies a lot of them. What's special about it, I think, is that it takes what's best about those other games, combines them, and does an even better job than they did.

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
xxhazyshadowsxx said:
haruvister said:

There's nothing precious about it. Any man that hates just about everything will have a hard time being taken seriously by anyone.
[sub]And I'm not saying I don't like Yahtzee. I'm saying that he makes his reviews funny, and therefore, tries to focus on the negatives of a game. He said it himself in his BioShock review.[/sub]

As for me: I really liked Uncharted 2. It didn't really bring anything new to the table, but name me a game from the past 3 years that has.
Portal. Ha! (The humorous, Yahtzee fellates this game ha, not the gotcha variety)

Alphavillain

Jan 19, 2008
It's a great game. His criticisms are fair enough, but I fail to see how other games are less generic in terms of either gameplay or plot/dialogue. If Yahtzee takes it into his head to hate a game, he'll be damned to find more than one thing he likes about it: his reviews are fun, but I don't give a damn for what he says if I play a game and he doesn't like it.

Smokescreen

Dec 6, 2007
Sorta amusing, but at the same time, it's hard not to get the feeling that he's trying hard not to enjoy something that most everyone else is having a really good time with. Yes, there's some good points to be made but it's a little like he's shouting 'THE FORCE IS GERMS' during the original Star Wars.

And I get that it's supposed to be amusing + not taken too seriously; perhaps that's why some reviews feel more forced than others.

ard1n

Nov 11, 2009
Eclectic Dreck said:
There will be a day eventually when people who tell good stories will successfuly interact with people who make fun games, but thus far such a marriage has generally been unsuccessful.
That day has game and went my friend. All the developers have all gone there seperate way, they made such games as Grim Fandango, Balduars gate series, Psychonauts. They all had great story to them all and all fun in their own way!

The thing is those games where made when games where made by geeks for geeks. All the good developers have been lured to deveoper houses that who wants to make money from games using money, fame and sex.

I hope games are like fashon and the fun/story games comes back!

Kaiyen

Oct 23, 2008
Yeees and Yahtzee knows that Dragon Age is awesome lol
I never played U2 so cant say anything else

Comma-Kazie

Sep 2, 2009
Considering how much Yahtzee disliked the first game in the series, and sequels in general, I'm surprised he reviewed Uncharted 2. I guess he must not have finished Dragon Age yet or something.

Oh well--it was funny and concise, and gave me fair cause to avoid it.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Kaiyen said:
Yeees and Yahtzee knows that Dragon Age is awesome
If Yahtzee likes Dragon Age it'll prove his lack of any actual journalistic integrity. Why? Go back and watch his Mass Effect Review, as far as I can tell, Dragon Age has a lot of the same problems as ME if not MORE in some places. Especially since Yahtzee complains about the abundance of Dialogue in Mass Effect, Dragon Age has MORE dialogue that is presented in a far more labyrinthine manner. I am keeping in mind that Yahtzee IS a comedian, but at least 75% of the people posting on this thread apparently think he presents a valid, biased and well reasoned opinion, which is not the case.

I'll be paying very close attention to his Dragon Age review, very close attention indeed.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
PhiMed said:
xxhazyshadowsxx said:
haruvister said:

Portal. Ha! (The humorous, Yahtzee fellates this game ha, not the gotcha variety)
And if you noticed, I said: just about everything
Meaning not everything, but the majority.

[sub]Atleast that's what I think you're saying. Your post is quite confusing.[/sub]

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
Wow - he's really quite aggressive to this game. Well that's what the escapist pays him for.

To be honest - he is right when he says that Uncharted 2 is not very, well, original. But he compares it to FILMS (which isn't that unfair since that's what Uncharted 2 was going for, a comparison to a film). I don't think he has realised that it is the first game that I have played that actually manages to pull off almost being a film.

He was aggressively determined to find faults. It's what he does for a living. And no game is perfect. Although I do think he was being needlessly aggressive, for the sake of his review style. The more a game is loved by the mainstream, the more he feels OBLIGATED to find something wrong with it. If it's enjoyed by many, and it's a "big" title, you can guarantee he'll do his best to hate it.

Which is refreshing at least.

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
All he says is basically true if you want to view the game from a very cynical perspective. Otherwise it's a pretty excellent and well polished game.

stiver

Oct 17, 2007
RAND00M said:
stiver said:
Man definitely going to skip this.
Good looking games have never been the reason to get it. Bad gameplay is best avoided.

boring concepts.
I´m gonna guess that you're one of those people that take his reviews seriously.
For the most part I wrote that before the review was finished. I never buy/not buy a game based on anything Yahtzee says itself. I just like to take the time to rip on this game for being crap.

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
xxhazyshadowsxx said:
PhiMed said:
xxhazyshadowsxx said:
haruvister said:

And if you noticed, I said: just about everything
Meaning not everything, but the majority.

[sub]Atleast that's what I think you're saying. Your post is quite confusing.[/sub]
Chill, man. The reason I put that part in parentheses was because I was trying to let on that I was joking.
You ended your post by saying
xxhazyshadowsxx said:
It didn't really bring anything new to the table, but name me a game from the past 3 years that has.
So I responded by saying, "Portal. Ha!" as a joke. Then I realized you'd probably get a bug in an uncomfortable orifice at that, so I put the part in parentheses. Apparently the bug got in there anyway.