Zero Punctuation: Valkyria Chronicles

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
Judithia said:
My point is i think his review was slack among other things but honestly expresing and sharing my opinion is about as far as im going to take it.

He can and will continue to bash games good and bad i am not going to try and stop him.

He can generate as many hits as he wants i enjoy the magority of yahtzees reviews and even found this one funny it just kinda bugged me that it was more a review of the Demo then the actual game it it almost seems hes trying TO HARD to hate the game.

The game is amazing and not in a FANBOY WEEABOO kinda of way it was actually really good and its rare to see games try somthing new and do it well, its almost if Yahtzee is trolling... *click*
Well, dang. I can't really find fault with that attitude. But you have to admit that the lahirs of righteous indignation on this thread really put you in the minority. I'll exempt you from my frustration, but I don't think that you can say that I'm being completely unreasonable in my irritation with the majority of the people QQing in this thread simply because they disagree with Mr. Croshaw.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
You can actually save your progress in the battle by simpy pressing the start button, go to system, and choosing save. Granted, it's a bit of a hassle to those who are used to auto save. And the loading screens to get you back where you are long,but it still really helps.

Judithia

Mar 25, 2009
solidstatemind said:
Judithia said:
My point is i think his review was slack among other things but honestly expresing and sharing my opinion is about as far as im going to take it.

He can and will continue to bash games good and bad i am not going to try and stop him.

He can generate as many hits as he wants i enjoy the magority of yahtzees reviews and even found this one funny it just kinda bugged me that it was more a review of the Demo then the actual game it it almost seems hes trying TO HARD to hate the game.

The game is amazing and not in a FANBOY WEEABOO kinda of way it was actually really good and its rare to see games try somthing new and do it well, its almost if Yahtzee is trolling... *click*
Well, dang. I can't really find fault with that attitude. But you have to admit that the lahirs of righteous indignation on this thread really put you in the minority. I'll exempt you from my frustration, but I don't think that you can say that I'm being completely unreasonable in my irritation with the majority of the people QQing in this thread simply because they disagree with Mr. Croshaw.
I understand but its the same in every thread, there are always the bunch that say OMG BEST ZP EVERY YOU SO FUNEH then the ones who say YOU SUCK SHITTY REVIEW.

Would be nice to get some other posts actually talking about it for once.

Its just a tad annoying that ALOT of people will probably see this review and that will turn them away from a very enjoyable game, sure people should have their own opinions about games but most of the time people tend to go by what other people or reviews say and not give it a chance.

Godhand for example is one of my favourite games but IGN gave it a hammering 3.5 which undoubtably turned a whole bunch of people away from it.

Oh god i should stop before i really start to rant... ;_;

SparcMan

May 14, 2009
Great review as always.
I also would recommend you give X-Com UFO Defense a try.
I won't lie to you. There is a measure of micromanagement Hell for dealing with your base, research, manufacturing, and equipping soldiers, but it is still a great turn-based game.
Also, if you have a Windows smartphone or PDA, Pocket UFO is a 99.9% accurate remake of the game and it's freeware.

Credge

Apr 12, 2008
The only parts I really agreed with in this review are the characters, but even then... no, not really. It sounds like he didn't get past the first bit of the game as he never once talked about how it goes from a more realistic war-time game based around a Europe feeling continent in a time period somewhere between WW1 and WW2 to a sci-fi completely bat shit "what the fuck? knocking away rockets with a lance?" insane game.

If he had said that, then I'd agree with his view on the characters.

He didn't mention the incredibly bad sneaking mission that happens very, very early in the game that introduces some fairly annoying spotlight mechanics that put more strain on timing and less on strategy and tactics.

Instead he commented on the sole thing that makes the game difficulty ~ the enemies firing upon you when you move.

His view on the game is a little skewed. It's a mix of turn based strategy and real time action with some traditional RPG elements added in. The only thing Japanese about this game is that it was made in Japan. The characters don't look or feel like Japanese characters at all.

Besides, no mention of Jan? Passively talking about how the game has homosexuals doesn't really make up for the lack of Jan.

troqu

May 14, 2009
Funny video as always but a part of me wishes he hadn't reviewed this. It's a great game and quite a few people will miss out because of this review. I only hope that a similar amount of people who hadn't heard about the game got interested enough to check out an actual overview of the game. I won't go into the the problems with Mr. Croshaw's review as that has been done in this thread a few times over.

What I will do is ask why? I realize that he has been on a campaign to try genres that he normally avoids, this is something I applaud him for. Yet he already has a stated hatred for JRPGs (On that note I do agree that this is not what one thinks of when the acronym is used but its from Japan and is an RPG so people will call it that regardless) and Mr Croshaw obviously went into this game with the mentality that as a JRPG it's going to suck. RTS and Flight sims as far as I can tell were two things that he was indifferent on because he hadn't really dealt with them thus his foray into their worlds had meaning. To me it doesn't make sense to review a JRPG because everyone who has watched ZP for more than two episodes knows that he hates them and any review of one will reflect that.

Sorry after reading this through I guess it became a rant as I was typing. Wasn't my intention but at the same time I don't feel like changing it cause it's my opinion.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
I still think VC is the bee's knees and if I ever get a PS3 i'll be happy yay yay and play it. Incidentally lemme know if it comes out of the PC.

kappa99

May 14, 2009
Wondering when they are going to change the "EVERY WEDNESDAY YAHTZEE...." when it is always $@#%ing THURSDAY that they release the reviews

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Thank you Yahtzee, for again verbally crucifying Japan's unnessecary mucking up of the RPG genre.

It's not that I don't like RPGs, it's that the Japanese way of doing it is "tell a story without the player or androgenous 12-year-old you're controlling be a major player in it, like you're just along for the ride instead of being a major player." The best RPG storylines are the ones where you're in control of the story and it focuses on you and any other people traveling with you, not the other people and you're just a secondary assistant.

Plus, dubbing is a big fat pile of shit over here in not-Japan, so there's another reason to hate it. If you're gonna have voice actors, at least make the vocals sync up with the actual animation instead of the crappy 1950s kung-fu movies dubbing.

Credge

Apr 12, 2008
The Great JT said:
Thank you Yahtzee, for again verbally crucifying Japan's unnessecary mucking up of the RPG genre.
The game is about as far from an RPG as you can get. Unless you consider something like Heroes of Might and Magic or Fire Emblem to be an RPG, then sure.

berettapunk

Mar 18, 2009
i kind of consider fire emblem to be a rpg. tbh tho i couldnt care what its classification is because im just a huge fan of the fire emblem series. i was actually hoping to see yahtzee do fire emblem at some point.

Great review this week yahtzee!

ElTigreNegro

Jan 17, 2009
The Great JT said:

It's not that I don't like RPGs, it's that the Japanese way of doing it is "tell a story without the player or androgenous 12-year-old you're controlling be a major player in it, like you're just along for the ride instead of being a major player." The best RPG storylines are the ones where you're in control of the story and it focuses on you and any other people traveling with you, not the other people and you're just a secondary assistant.

Plus, dubbing is a big fat pile of shit over here in not-Japan, so there's another reason to hate it. If you're gonna have voice actors, at least make the vocals sync up with the actual animation instead of the crappy 1950s kung-fu movies dubbing.
The game has an option for the japanese dub.

Also, who set on stone all those "rules" about how a "good" story only revolves around one or two characters?

SandroTheMaster

Apr 2, 2009
So... Yahtzee admits he may (kind of) like TBS?

Well, ignore the Fire Emblem, FF Tactics, and other Japanese suggestions here. They can be good games... but their storytelling and gameplay are still too... japanese. Oh, and stray as far away from Disgaea as possible. This game will suck you dry, devour your soul, and chew it up for so much time you'll realize Boba Fett got it easy.

Good TBS were already mentioned. Any of the Heroes (of Might and Magic, not about that TV Series) and Jagged Alliance. X-com (this one is a must)... But there's also King's Bounty (both the old and the new, but the new is better), Fallout Tactics (good as a TBS, just don't mind about finding the storytelling), Total War (to an extent), etc... Yes, there's a distinct lack of any japanese games here.

About the Republicans joke. It's no big deal. Politicians ARE soulless baby-eating creatures of the darkness as a general rule. I still don't trust that Obama guy for the sole fact that he still is, in fact, a politician. The Republicans (the American ones, this is important) just have more of a fame there lately for their pseudo-nazi way of view (just change Aryan race for American race and you'll see) and mostly because of Bush's 8 years of telling the whole world to go fuck themselves (the world end up resenting stuff like this).

MmmFiber

Apr 19, 2009
KillerRamen said:
[Maybe I just love micromanaging and lesbians with guns]
Who doesn't? Two of my favorite things I tell you. I enjoy when he trashes a game I like. It makes it even funnier.

P.S. I thought he was a serious reviewer for the first couple videos. They were games I had never played, so I thought "These game must be horrendous." Later I discovered how Yahtzee rolled.

runtheplacered

Oct 31, 2007
iblis666 said:
never played the game now i am sure i never will want too guess ill go back to my final fantasy tactics
You really base your judgment of whether or not to by a game by a Yahtzee review? That sucks for you, Valkyria Chronicles is a fantastic game.

Evil Tim

Apr 18, 2009
harhol said:
Not to mention that the gameplay is completely different, e.g. one of the main features of JRPGs is exploration, something which TRPGs never feature.
The meat of any JRPG is the combat, which consists of turn-based battles often built around a rock / paper / scissors attack structure [planes kill tanks, AA kills planes, tanks kill AA; sound familiar?], and the story, which is usually full of people in overly complicated costumes mangling perfect good philosophy. Exploration boils down to either finding where the hell the story's hiding or finding things to make combat easier.

A JRPG often is a cut-down, mutilated turn-based strategy game with a lot of useless grinding and wandering around thrown in to add a pretense of there being a world around you. That entire element exists for the sake of existing; so you wander around, fight a hundred Beasts of Bogwash and recover the Mystic Sword of Gobbledegook from the hallowed halls of the No-Vowels King. What can you do? Um, fight bigger things and go find other overpowered shit to fight even bigger things. Remove the useless wasting of time for it's own sake, and you have an extremely stunted and simplistic turn-based strategy game.

And as for your idea that no turn based strategy game has ever featured exploration, I guess you got me, since obviously none of these things exist [http://www.rpgclassics.com/shrines/snes/frontmis1/missionparts.shtml].