Zero Punctuation: Valkyria Chronicles

Kineas

Oct 1, 2008
This game was actually my 2008 game of the year. An under appreciated gem that was simply released at the wrong time (alongside many other AAA games). The graphics simply had me in awe for my first few missions, the gameplay is unique which is great with the amount of same stuff we have floating around the video game industry at the moment.

If you have a ps3 I recommend at least downloading the demo (free of course) from the playstation store and then pass judgement.

PS. I don't really remember any outrageous haircuts in my playthrough.
PPS It's a JRTS, not a JRPG

McGee

Mar 31, 2009
Autocracy said:
McGee said:
I have to agree with Yahtzee, but I also LOATHE JRPGs or games that have heavy anime themes. My best friend absolutely loves these games and it seems like every other week he has a new one for me to try. A few weeks ago it was this rubbish game. I sat through 3 hours of play before I absolutely couldn't take it any longer. The thing I agree with Yahtzee the most on is the menu system.
Oh boy. Don't like menus? I hate to tell you this but it's not just Japanese RPGS that have great big menus. Eh, I suggest you not try any MMO. Especially not Eve Online. That gets complicated fast. Witcher? Yeah, don't go there. Some might argue that some of the Resident Evil Games get complicated but that's up for debate.
Well, to be honest....I kind of hate MMOs too...

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
Their's alot of people commenting on here saying they hate the game just because yahtzee hates it its rather silly even more so is the fact that yathzee hates the whole JRPG genre so this review was biased from the get go. Why don't you lovely people just play the game for yourself (prehaps the demo or sumthing) and then past judgements on it aye.

Yathzee's reviews are just a bit of fun and shouldn't be taken seriously at all and above all it shudn't affect the games you purchase.

Judithia

Mar 25, 2009
McGee said:
Autocracy said:
McGee said:
I have to agree with Yahtzee, but I also LOATHE JRPGs or games that have heavy anime themes. My best friend absolutely loves these games and it seems like every other week he has a new one for me to try. A few weeks ago it was this rubbish game. I sat through 3 hours of play before I absolutely couldn't take it any longer. The thing I agree with Yahtzee the most on is the menu system.
Oh boy. Don't like menus? I hate to tell you this but it's not just Japanese RPGS that have great big menus. Eh, I suggest you not try any MMO. Especially not Eve Online. That gets complicated fast. Witcher? Yeah, don't go there. Some might argue that some of the Resident Evil Games get complicated but that's up for debate.
Well, to be honest....I kind of hate MMOs too...
I never had a problem with the menus to be honest, neither did my 13 year old sister.

some one care to explain whats wrong with them?

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
im trying to remember if I've played the demo or not. is that the one where you run around fighting nazis and turn into wherewolves for some reason? If it was, that game blew total ass. Though I hate pretty much any RPG that doesnt keep you at very least as active as oblivion, so maybe that means i just dont like the genre.

Judithia

Mar 25, 2009
Guitarmasterx7 said:
im trying to remember if I've played the demo or not. is that the one where you run around fighting nazis and turn into wherewolves for some reason? If it was, that game blew total ass. Though I hate pretty much any RPG that doesnt keep you at very least as active as oblivion, so maybe that means i just dont like the genre.
No thats a xbox 360 game called Operation: Darkness.

Valkyria Chronicals is a PS3 exclusive

Grayjack

Jan 22, 2009
otterbeans said:
Judithia said:
@ otterbeans.

Umm i don't know maybe
MADWORLD
Crush
Ghost Squad
Phantasy Star
Yakuza
Rez
Condemmed: Criminal origins
Total War
House of the Dead Overkill

Just naming a few.
Something that wasn't an FPS or gorefest. Can't stand em.

And I never was able to get into Phantasy Star.
Ever play Skies of Arcadia?

Judithia

Mar 25, 2009
Grayjack72 said:
otterbeans said:
Judithia said:
@ otterbeans.

Umm i don't know maybe
MADWORLD
Crush
Ghost Squad
Phantasy Star
Yakuza
Rez
Condemmed: Criminal origins
Total War
House of the Dead Overkill

Just naming a few.
Something that wasn't an FPS or gorefest. Can't stand em.

And I never was able to get into Phantasy Star.
Ever play Skies of Arcadia?
I was just listing recent games since he said he couldn't remember the last time Sega made a great game, Skies is amazing but quite a bit older.

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
You know, I have never evoked the /thread before, but I feel I have to now:

This is ENTERTAINMENT. Yes, you are entitled to think that "Yahtzee is wrong/is a lousy game player/is biased against JRPGs/didn't play enough of the game/is (whatever excuse makes you feel less butthurt)", if that honestly makes you feel better that he doesn't happen to have the same glowing opinion of a game that you really, really like.

However, the rest of us here don't really give a flying fuck about YOUR opinion: we're here to see YAHTZEE'S because he makes us laugh!

You really want to 'take issue' with Yahtzee??? Then, FFS, stop whining in a comment thread that less than 10% of his fans are going to bother to read and produce a product that will attract our attention away from him!

Otherwise...

Shut.
The.
FUCK.
Up!

Judithia

Mar 25, 2009
solidstatemind said:
You know, I have never evoked the /thread before, but I feel I have to now:

This is ENTERTAINMENT. Yes, you are entitled to think that "Yahtzee is wrong/is a lousy game player/is biased against JRPGs/ is whatever", if that honestly makes you feel better that he doesn't happen to have the same glowing opinion of a game that you really, really like.

However, the rest of us here don't really give a flying fuck about YOUR opinion: we're here to see YAHTZEE'S because he makes us laugh!

You really want to 'take issue' with Yahtzee??? Then, FFS, stop whining in a comment thread that less than 10% of his fans are going to bother to read and produce a product that will attract our attention away from him!

Otherwise...

Shut.
The.
FUCK.
Up!
Some one woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning :3

How about if you don't like what other people are saying you simply ignore it.
I think its resonable to be a tad confused why he is "reviewing" a game he clearly hasnt played for very long while making a whole bunch of points that are completly incorect.

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
Judithia said:

I think its resonable to be a tad confused why he is "reviewing" a game he clearly hasnt played for very long while making a whole bunch of points that are completly incorect.
OK, stipulated that I'm a little grumpy. But still, that doesn't change matters: Exactly what do you think all these complaints are accomplishing? Do you honestly think that Yahtzee is reading them and thinking to himself:

"Oh dear! I apparently have sinned against my constituency by not completing every game that I review!!" (Let us leave aside the aspect of the "if Yahtzee is frustrated by being an 'everyman' type player, I probably would be frustrated as well, since I'm not obsessed with all things Japan")

He's not. His job is to generate hits to the website. Which he is clearly succeeding at. While I'm ABSOLUTELY NOT implying that nobody should speak ill of Yahtzee, at the same time, reading a thread that is 5 fucking pages of "He must not of played the game all the way through!! OMG! L0053r!!" is particularly tiresome, since that frankly isn't isn't his charter.

All I am trying to suggest is that, if you really want to take issue with the man and his product, whinging in a comment thread that ten percent of the people (or less) who view his content will actually see is not a particularly effective way to accomplish your objective. Instead, why don't you try to outdo him, because honestly, otherwise you're just shouting into a crowded room "HE'S WRONG", for all the good that will do you.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
I love this game. I was hoping you would eventually review it. And just like I expected, you tear it a new one. Great job Yahtzee!

Barry93

Mar 5, 2009
pretty good except for that republican joke because it's not true, if he meant Dick Cheney and compasion then i might let that slide and why not say that instead of pointing of a huge group of people. Even a Democrats and Republicans comparison would be better. Oh well, still one of my favorite ZP's.

Judithia

Mar 25, 2009
solidstatemind said:
Judithia said:

OK, stipulated that I'm a little grumpy. But still, that doesn't change matters: Exactly what do you think all these complaints are accomplishing? Do you honestly think that Yahtzee is reading them and thinking to himself:

"Oh dear! I apparently have sinned against my constituency by not completing every game that I review!!" (Let us leave aside the aspect of the "if Yahtzee is frustrated by being an 'everyman' type player, I probably would be frustrated as well, since I'm not obsessed with all things Japan")

He's not. His job is to generate hits. Which he is clearly succeeding at. While I'm not saying that nobody should speak ill of Yahtzee, at the same time, reading a thread that is 5 fucking pages of "He must not of played the game all the way through!! OMG! L0053r!!" is particularly tiresome, since that frankly isn't isn't his charter.

All I am trying to suggest is that, if you really want to take issue with the man and his product, whinging in a comment thread that ten percent of the people (or less) who view his content will actually see is not a particularly effective way to accomplish your objective.
My point is i think his review was slack among other things but honestly expresing and sharing my opinion is about as far as im going to take it.

He can and will continue to bash games good and bad i am not going to try and stop him.

He can generate as many hits as he wants i enjoy the magority of yahtzees reviews and even found this one funny it just kinda bugged me that it was more a review of the Demo then the actual game it it almost seems hes trying TO HARD to hate the game.

The game is amazing and not in a FANBOY WEEABOO kinda of way it was actually really good and its rare to see games try somthing new and do it well, its almost if Yahtzee is trolling... *click*