Zero Punctuation: Velvet Assassin

nroejb

Sep 13, 2009
I wouldn´t expect much from a game with such a name in the first place (maybe a good title for a highly ironical game).
But to make things clear (again), it is ok to talk about Nazis in germany, as long as you don´t go deeper/ talking about more complex stuff then the obvious "Nazis were bad".
And of course not all Soldiers were Nazis (they prefered the SS which was technically more of a police unit), thus I guess it´s ok to present them as humans, I mean they don´t look like mosquitoes to me.
I just have to wonder about that special mode (active until the first kill). Aren´t there other games with something like that already (even some in the WW2 setting)?
I think something new and original would have been nice, but then again an original, creative stealth game with a name like Velvet Assassin... That just wouldn´t do.

Shoqiyqa

Mar 31, 2009
Bart Wux said:
The part where the german government comes to your house made me laugh... the sad thing is that this is probably closer to the truth than Yahtzee even realized.
http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,2144,1833619,00.html
DW-World said:
West Germany was indeed slow to come to turns with its Nazi past. The Nuremberg War Crimes Tribunal brought the horrors of Hitler's regime to light, despite the fact that many Germans didn't want to talk about what happened. "People were ashamed. People felt guilty and didn't want to deal with it publicly," Benz said, "but they didn't deny it."

West Germany first made an effort during the student demonstrations in the late 1960s. They weren't just protesting against the Vietnam War, but also demanded that their parents speak openly about the Nazi past.

In the mid-1980s, German newspapers were filled with the so-called Historiker-Streit, a passionate dispute between German historians, not about whether the Holocaust occurred, but about whether it was a unique event in world history.

Germany's parliament passed legislation in 1985, making it a crime to deny the extermination of the Jews. In 1994, the law was tightened. Now, anyone who publicly endorses, denies or plays down the genocide against the Jews faces a maximum penalty of five years in jail and no less than the imposition of a fine.
http://www.wired.com/politics/law/news/2000/12/40669
Wired said:
Germany's Federal Court of Justice took a major interpretive step beyond the lower-court ruling this week, however. It found that sweeping German legislation passed in the wake of World War II that banned the Nazi party and any glorification of it -- including denial of the Holocaust -- can be applied to Internet content that originates outside of the country's borders.
I don't think it's illegal to mention Nazis or whatever at all. As long as you're careful to portray them as a bunch of homicidal, hypocritical, money-grabbing, selfish, arrogant, murderous, psychotic, slimy, worthless, egotistical, untrustworthy, corrupt, depraved shitballs, you're fine, and that's easy to do because they were members of a political party.

Also: the fart joke has been used before: http://eddirt.frozenreality.co.uk/index.php?id=446

AlphaEcho

Jun 16, 2010
"Cause I heard if you even mention Nazi the government will come to your house and burn it down."

Judgement101

Mar 29, 2010
AlphaEcho said:
"Cause I heard if you even mention Nazi the government will come to your house and burn it down."
I congradulate you on the courage to post in a thread that was last commented in during 2009

AlphaEcho

Jun 16, 2010
Judgement101 said:
AlphaEcho said:
I congradulate you on the courage to post in a thread that was last commented in during 2009
*Looks at post*

Woops sorry.

Dvvade

Mar 3, 2012
I actually bought this game after this review. So, its a stealth game, it would be nice to make sneak lock. Holding sneak for two hours with breaks for "load from last checkpoint" made my pinky finger felt off. But it was fun to play after all.

winter2

Oct 10, 2009
And let me add to the madness by resurrecting this thread again by letting you all know that right now you can get it on Steam for a mere $1.69. By Jove!