Zero Punctuation: Webcomics

DanRSL

May 14, 2008
Here's something the world needs to learn- comic strips are just simply NOT a very engaging and compelling medium. CAD, PA, whatever webcomic are just Cathy or Dilbert or Garfield or whatever other shitty Sunday funnies except with a different mask on and pretentions of "counter-culture".

Complaining about how Puzzle Quest doesn't make any real world sense is exactly the same as complaining about how you buy too many dresses, how you hate mondays or how your boss hands out too many memos. They're all NON-ISSUES.

Think about it very bland and flatly for a second - where exactly are the JOKES or punchlines in these comics? Exactly, there aren't any (usually); they are criticisms disguised as jokes, but the real joke is that they are actually criticisms of the assholes that find them funny - the same people who find Puzzle Quest, shopping, mondays and memos funny. They point out how much of an idiot you are for worrying about such bullshit.

So don't think of Yahtzee's video as an attack on ONE comic strip, or even web comics, but think of it as th first step toward unmasking the horrible medium.

captain_collide

Jul 2, 2008
David_Cat said:
Melo The Yellow said:
People get banned everywhere for going 'lol first post' because it's a waste of space and every fuckin' idiot is gonna spam the first portion of the thread trying to claim it. CAD bans people who PRAISE HIM.
I doubt that somehow.
Dude, what is there to doubt? Your 'argument' has been nothing but the textual equivalent of putting your hands over your ears and yelling "I'M NOT LISTENING LA LA LA LA!"

If anything you've shown how mindless CAD fans are, that you would come to this forum and just say "nuh-uh" to every piece of CAD criticism that crops up. You've presented nothing edifying to convince anyone that your Tim is nothing but a talentless hack who can't take criticism (and apparently neither can his fans.)

Just give up.

Melo The Yellow

Jul 2, 2008
The RoM Incident

Whilst CAD had been watching its reading on the failure-o-meter increase for several years, there remained one element about it that did not follow this pattern. Rantings of Madmen was the closest the CAD forums had to worthwhile content. It was an island in which the odd funny post could be found amongst a sea of emo kids, otaku, Tim's groupies, basement-dwelling nerds and furries.

On September the 11th, 2005, a post was made in RoM called "This thread contains a motherfucking forum revelation". The thread alleged what many had long suspected: Tim was a closet pedo, who had sent pictures of his shriveled and malformed cock to under-age forum members. Some lol'd, some refused to believe it, some maintained they knew it all along.

Suddenly, Tim found it, and like any sensible adult who was innocent of a wrongful claim put against him, threw a huge fucking hissy fit. He waded in, banhammer swinging left and right. Dozens of users who had posted in the thread, guilty of deflating his ego or not, were banned instantly and without mercy.
Tim proved his wit by posting lame banned macros and using stupid one liners. Notice the lack of laughs.

At this point several mods rebelled and unbanned all of the banned users, provoking a massive shitstorm in which RoM posters spammed the entire forum with guro and goatse images (Oh and week-old 4chan macros). Using IRC, all banned users and banned mods were unbanned just as fast as Tim could ban them and handle the spam problem. Eventually, he gave up, deleting the Rantings of Madmen section and eventually locking the entire forum for five days with the message "forums are down whilst we take out the trash". At the end of the battle 5000 users had been removed from the forum database, but the entire internet saw how much of a batshit insane ****** Tim was, marking a mass exodus of readers and the elimination of any respect he may have once had.

After it was all said and done, several weak faggots who had previously been sucking up to everyone in RoM decided to kiss Tim's ass instead, resulting in the modship of such faggots as Cyanide, Abbadon and Sidnaceous, and the introduction of a nazi police state on the CAD forums.

RoM moved on to its own forum, not having much more to do with anything, but occasionally emerging to laugh at whatever stupid bullshit Tim was up to at the time. Whether or not Tim actually DID show his penis is debated furiously to this day, but most agree he wouldn't have been such an over-reacting fuckwit if he was innocent.

TheFunkeyGibbon

Jul 2, 2008
To be honest I think that webcomics are just one symptom of the over all problem that the internet gives everybody a platform whether they have anything to say or not. I of course include myself in that glorious number.

David_Cat

Jul 2, 2008
captain_collide said:
David_Cat said:
Melo The Yellow said:
People get banned everywhere for going 'lol first post' because it's a waste of space and every fuckin' idiot is gonna spam the first portion of the thread trying to claim it. CAD bans people who PRAISE HIM.
I doubt that somehow.
Dude, what is there to doubt? Your 'argument' has been nothing but the textual equivalent of putting your hands over your ears and yelling "I'M NOT LISTENING LA LA LA LA!"

If anything you've shown how mindless CAD fans are, that you would come to this forum and just say "nuh-uh" to every piece of CAD criticism that crops up. You've presented nothing edifying to convince anyone that your Tim is nothing but a talentless hack who can't take criticism (and apparently neither can his fans.)

Just give up.
I do not say "nuh-uh" to every piece of CAD criticism, I hate the CAD forums.

Blayze

Dec 19, 2007
Ah, Buckley. I remember finding a website that lets you look at all the changes made to Wiki articles and see where they came from (IP ranges at the very least, I think). A hell of a lot of quotes that might have possibly been anywhere in the region of negative regarding Buckley? Deleted. Same IP range or whatever. Claimed to be from Buckley but I don't know if that's true or not.

Given what I know of the man, I'd say it's probable. He can't write effective and concise dialogue, he steals his backgrounds from a Google search rather than create them himself... I swear he's probably the man behind Limbo of the Lost.

I'll remember the URL one of these days.

Zirror

Jun 27, 2008
Yatzhee feels pretty strong about this, because he made his own web comic(s) a while back.
He probably doesnt get why something that stupid gets an unbelievable amount of attention, where as his old comics were pretty much unseen.

Melo The Yellow

Jul 2, 2008
Blayze said:
Ah, Buckley. I remember finding a website that lets you look at all the changes made to Wiki articles and see where they came from (IP ranges at the very least, I think). A hell of a lot of quotes that might have possibly been anywhere in the region of negative regarding Buckley? Deleted. Same IP range or whatever. Claimed to be from Buckley but I don't know if that's true or not.
I'll remember the URL one of these days.
Found it. http://wikiscanner.virgil.gr/list_edits.php?ip1=68.60.213.27&ip2=&ip3=&ip4=#

TheFunkeyGibbon

Jul 2, 2008
Melo The Yellow said:
Whether or not Tim actually DID show his penis is debated furiously to this day, but most agree he wouldn't have been such an over-reacting fuckwit if he was innocent.
This is not a defence of the guy but if somebody said that about me I'd be pretty angry. Don't forget if it had been in a newspaper he'd have sued and nobody would have argued that kind of action. The internet is harder to handle, it has too many anonymous targets.

It does sound like he went mental though.

Lim-Dul

Sep 13, 2007
This reminds me of something:

http://badwebcomics.blogspot.com/ ^^

And as for a good webcomic:

http://www.blastwavecomic.com/

TheFunkeyGibbon

Jul 2, 2008
Zirror said:
Yatzhee feels pretty strong about this, because he made his own web comic(s) a while back.
He probably doesnt get why something that stupid gets an unbelievable amount of attention, where as his old comics were pretty much unseen.
You make him sound very bitter. Is that really how you see it?

bornofdust

Jun 11, 2008
captain_collide said:
Dude, what is there to doubt? Your 'argument' has been nothing but the textual equivalent of blah blah blah shown how mindless CAD fans are blabbity blab presented nothing edifying to convince anyone blah blah talentless hack blah blah blah Just give up.
David_Cat said:
HIS forums are police state? As opposed to these forums where people blah blah etc.
PrincessRtardio said:
Catherine Tate makes me want to eat feet.
I don't care if you like CAD or not, after hanging around forums for a while you have to at least appreciate this:

http://ctrlaltdel-online.com/comic.php?d=20080227

ioudas omnis

Jul 2, 2008
This strikes me as, aside from being a not-very-subtle-or-thinly-veiled attack on CTRL+ALT+DEL, a statement talking about the general over-saturation of gaming-oriented comics following the success of Penny Arcade. Calling himself the "alpha self-important bearded tosser", though, made me take this less seriously than I might otherwise.

The man likes xkcd and the Perry Bible Fellowship, how bad can he be?

Arbitrary13

Jul 2, 2008
Not that it'll stop anyone, but some of the people around here really ought to start making a distinction between the comic (that which Yahtzee is criticizing) and the author. I can't recall which ZP it was, but Yahtzee did make a point about disliking hot dogs because of who the vendor is and the general futility of that sort of thing. Bang on Buckley all you like, but that's not the focus of this somewhat ill-advised review.

On the subject of the review -- which made a lot more sense in the essay he wrote on his site but, of course, no one on the internet reads and, thus, Yahtzee convinced himself that a video would be the way to badly get his point across -- it's somewhat ironic that the criticism that Buckley doesn't know how to build up a punchline well is somehow negated by the simplistic comics he posted today. Apparently he does know how to do it but hasn't yet figured out how to integrate it into his rigid format?

I'm not paying for either ZP or CAD, though, so I'll continue to enjoy them as they wax and wane. My offense as a consumer only appears when I'm actually paying for crap.

Melo The Yellow

Jul 2, 2008
TheFunkeyGibbon said:
This is not a defense of the guy but if somebody said that about me I'd be pretty angry. Don't forget if it had been in a newspaper he'd have sued and nobody would have argued that kind of action. The internet is harder to handle, it has too many anonymous targets.

It does sound like he went mental though.
True, but most people have the able mind to shrug it off and tell the person that their statement is hilarious and never mention it again. Buckley on the other hand, banned moderators, users, IPs and deleted just about everything he could about it. But I do agree, it's quite annoying getting told things that aren't true by other to yourself.

David_Cat

Jul 2, 2008
Ehh maybe Tim can't take criticism, maybe he overreacts.
He still makes a damn fine webcomic though.

Zirror

Jun 27, 2008
Yes that actually is kinda how I see it.
He thought the same way about psychonauts and kind of stuff, that he goes bananas about 'stuff' that is stupid or simplistic but brings their creators enough money to 'buy all the earth and all the heavens' (in the case of nintendo).

The Webcomic-Situation is probably pretty much the same. It's not that he is jealous or bitter, he is just disappointed at society probably.

But then again, I am just guessing.

ioudas omnis

Jul 2, 2008
TheFunkeyGibbon said:
Lim-Dul said:
And as for a good webcomic:

http://www.blastwavecomic.com/
A 404. Is that a mistake or humour?
It's the ultimate in surreal humor. There is a comic there. And it's the greatest webcomic you've ever read. You just have to imagine.