Zero Punctuation: Webcomics

linkages555

Jan 4, 2008
love the video...fans fighting is hilarious i mean its a comic its not going to change your life if somebody doesnt like your favorite comic...yathzee must be amusing himself about this....on the cad issue it was weird story arc but it was funny beacuse i saw the bashing first and then the comic....other thing im confused i think Vg Cats is hilarious dont you think ???

Kovash86

May 23, 2008
Lord_Seth said:
I'm a bit confused as to why a character with "crippling issues" is a reason that no one should like them as a character, but whatever, let's let that issue drop. What I was trying to point out is that without the Creator Breakdown [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CreatorBreakdown] in Evangelion, it probably wouldn't have become as popular, memorable, or influential as it was. It was definitely one of the better pulled-off cases of creator breakdown; if you want to see what's considered a poor example, see Buffy the Vampire Slayer. There's a reason season six of that series is often nicknamed "season sux"; while it had possibly the best episode in the series ("Once More, With Feeling"), soon after that episode it fell into a spiral of pretty much trying to make the characters as unhappy and miserable as possible. But even Buffy slightly spread out the transition into angst rather than throwing it all in at once.

But in the end, I question if this arc in Ctrl+Alt+Del is even an example of Creator Breakdown or the creator using it to try to "cope" with something. From what I can tell it's mostly a case of trying to awkwardly insert DRAMA? into the strip. So I'm not even certain if the discussion about creator breakdown even applies.

For the most part I've been avoiding criticism of the rest of Ctrl+Alt+Del, because I (kind of) liked it; sure, a lot of the jokes fell flat, but some were funny and I found it at least entertaining. But the miscarriage was so sudden and badly-handled that I can't possibly see any way someone could defend it. "Roomies!" is often criticized for falling into depression, but even that was a gradual shift. I can't really think of anything that tried to cram in DRAMA? as suddenly and awkwardly as Ctrl+Alt+Del did.
I thought Eva was cool before I saw the creator freak out on us, frankly that detracted from the enjoyment I got out of it.
I've already stated my opinion (which is borderline fact in this particular case, don't get me wrong I wish it wasn't, I wish that the events that lead up to this whole thread never happened it is tragic and unfair, but too few things are fair) on coping through art.

Lord_Seth

Jun 19, 2008
I know, I was mentioning that I'm unsure that what happened in Ctrl+Alt+Del even IS an example of coping through art, and isn't just an example of badly throwing in DRAMA? because you somehow think it will make your comic better.

Razgul

Jul 5, 2008
Jesus ive gotta say reading though most of these pages of nonsense has made me giggle, i used to know about CAD when it was a part of freepress with several other comics which names escape me now, anyhow my point im sure Yahtzee is laughing at all the stupid comments that have been made and i certainly hope we get another mailbag showdown dedicated to Webcomics!!!

http://www.biggercheese.com/index.php?comic=752

shatora

Jul 5, 2008
The wasn't the best of the vidoes I've watched, but then I only read the comics my friend IMs me to.
And I think I draw ok"ish" in paint as long as what I'm drawing is 600x, and if I have a mouse to move around, not my finger and and track pad I have to keep clicked on with my thumb limting the rage of my pointer finger to draw with.

Slacker2000

May 15, 2008
Thanks for the info McChicken! I went and looked at Yahtzee's list and sure enough he liked it. BUT! He didn't like Dr.McNinja. I wonder why? I REALLY like Dr. McNinja.

Majick

Apr 28, 2008
thebobmaster said:
El Mexicutioner said:
Man people are still posting stuff on here? Geez CAD sucks end of story. :3
Thought-provoking first post. You have completely re-shaped my outlook on the webcomic.
Do I sense sarcasm?

BlazeTheVampire

May 14, 2008
I think Yahtzee needs to stick to what he does best- VIDEO GAME Reviews.

I mean, god forbid a writer should write about something important to him. That's just unheard of.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
Indigo_Dingo said:
Sylocat said:
I stand by my claim that a five-year-old could write and draw Cyanide and Happiness, and even the strip's most devoted fans wouldn't be able to tell the difference.
And thats a problem because? People don't go to webcomics to have thought provoking articles on aristotalean logic abd its use (or lack thereof) in modern reasoning, they go there to laugh. Sometimes a cheap laugh like the kicking baby or the un-undead (I say nthe poop joke was not needed) is just what your day calls for.
Well, to each their own, but my point is that I don't believe that the people who make C&H really think that what they are making is GOOD.

And if they do try to do boring serious comics, they at least warn everyone, and call it "depressing comics week"
I find pretty much all their comics depressing.

Razzle Bathbone said:
Spacehouse said:
how does you spell shi-le-li?
Believe it or not, it's spelled "shillelagh". Gaelic is weird.
Tell me about it. When I was 15 or so, my mom and me took a Celtic singing class (in one of life's little ironies, I still remember some of the lyrics, but I have no idea why we signed up in the first place), they had to provide two separate books for us: One with the lyrics as they were written, and one with the phonetic pronunciation. It was a rare occasion on which I ever saw a similarity between the two. How do you think "Raghallaigh" is pronounced?

Of course... this has nothing to do with the topic, so forget I said anything. ^_^;

TheHunterPDX

Jul 6, 2008
Hello. I registered here to post my view, to not flame others, webcomics, ZP, or anything along those lines. I have just read all 24 pages of comments, and wish to offer a different point of view. I will not say if it is better or worse then any other comic, and I'm not going to get wrapped up in frivolous debate on the matter,

I have been a huge fan of Zero Punctuation for quite some time and enjoy the videos. CAD on the other hand, I only first saw about 2 days ago. But, I must point out, not because of this forum or the video. I found it trying to understand the explosm comic, many of us have seen, which parodies the Lilah's miscarriage and Ethan's discovery. Now, I had no idea what the comic meant or was even a reference to, until two days ago. Somehow, I stumbled upon a link which took me to the CAD homepage. I began viewing the comics, newest to oldest, and what did I find..... The miscarriage. After then looking over the news, on a hunch, I found the text used in the explosm comic. I was a bit stunned, and I wanted to know what the miscarriage was all about (As in why did it occur/backstory). But, rather then troll forums, I just went to the very start of CAD, and read every, single, strip.

So, I have experienced CAD from the beginning of honestly not giving much attention to the jokes, but more to the plot and story. My personality is drawn towards solving the unknown, or what I don't understand. I feel that is one reason I read novels in single sittings and enjoy the sciences, but I digress. After catching up fully I have to say, I couldn't give two shits about the writer, the humor (Which as a
gamer I DO get), or the evolution of the art work. But, as someone who came at this looking to see charecter development and a plot, I enjoyed CAD very much. Now, I KNOW will take flack for that statement. But, I'm going to continue to follow the comic closely. WHY? Because I want to know how it "ends" in a sense.

I need to note, the reason I believe the miscarriage did not piss me off, or turn me away from the comic immediately (Unlike others), is that I didn't know any backstory, or even realize it was a gaming comic.

Also, as odd as it may sound, I have identified with the characters in regard to loosing a child. While I have not suffered or had a family member with a miscarriage, myself, my brother, and children I know of from other families we extremely premature at birth, and had almost no chance of survival. The stress and heartbreak can destroy or strengthen families, as I have seen firsthand. I feel that is why I'm driven to see how Ethan and Lilah turn out, because I, in an odd way, do care about the characters,

So, to sum up this late-night rambling, I wanted to explain how a humorous, gaming-based comic, though a different set of circumstances, can for one reader, never even have humor concern them. Yes, I do laugh at some material, but in the end, all I want to know is what happens next.

TaintedSun

Jul 6, 2008
Yahtzee isn't funny.

He's hilarious.

This could actually go well with your Hat Man Stick Figure. I'd bookmark it right away!

People from the www.GRevForums.net community are a very big fan of yours. We always look forward to your next video!

Worsle

Jul 4, 2008
Why do so many people seem to just stumble across CAD then some how end up defending it? However I digress a little here, what I wanted to say was character development? Then I die laughing. CAD has no character development and you know what is worse this miscarriage is going to be forgotten soon enough and then will be nothing other than a reset button. A RESET BUTTON (this fact alone makes it horribly offensive), it is not character development there are no characters to develop. If the child had been born there could have been some attempt at character and then maybe some development of that new found character but that is never going to happen.

Really go back and look at all the strips and tell me how Ethan's character evolves. Seriously I would like to know what any one could take as it or you know just what some one could mistake for being real characterisation. As it is you have the "zany" self insert, straight man and love interest there I have written down all the character you could get out of it.

McMo0^

Dec 21, 2007
TaintedSun said:
Yahtzee isn't funny.

He's hilarious.

This could actually go well with your Hat Man Stick Figure. I'd bookmark it right away!

People from the www.GRevForums.net community are a very big fan of yours. We always look forward to your next video!
Advertising is fun! i was just saying that on www.plugmywebsite.com...

anyways i can't remeber which i'm a gamer and but my flatmate is a causual gamer and girl blah blah blah but i did enjoy it. it might have been CAD. If it was the first "popular" one then it was. It is true that i did get bored of it though, the punchline could generally be predicted after so many squares and i started finding the lead character something of a dick.

Good review. There are far too many CAD-alikes now and i personally never got to the miscarriage storyline, but i don't care for something that horrific in a humour comic. WTF? Yes most comedies go for "Drama" at some point, a sad point in a characters life. But miscarriage? Not cool.

EDIT: Anyone else notice how Digress has become the new buzzword since yahtzee?

Bombader

Nov 21, 2007
I stopped reading CAD when he pulled that, heck it stopped being very funny when there wa one comic that Ethan could have seen some character development, but instead the creator opted to pick the "silly" option. And he wonders why his "choose your adventure" didn't pan out like he hoped it would.

His series is like that of Teen Titans, where each episode plot may not directly involve with each other, but effect future episodes anyway, that is about as much "world" as CAD has.

Of course I only read very few comics, other than VG CAts it's sprite comics like BobandGeorge and 8bit which are sadly ending boo...