Zero Punctuation: World of Warcraft: Cataclysm

daxterx2005

Dec 19, 2009
The reason I've never picked up wow is because I dont like the idea of having to depend on other people.
But Yahtzee said this new troll mage can do hard quests on its own?
I might pick the game up now.

thanks for a great review as always Yahtzee.

PurpleSkull

Mar 20, 2009
Anti Nudist Cupcake said:
He not only reviewed cataclysm, he said it was quite good...

Now I HAVE To play this, just to see what the fuss is about and because I have been thinking about doing it for quite a while.

Wait, was this what yahtzee was doing during that big flood in Australia?

Playing wow? During a flood?

MADNESS!
You might as well play cataclysm during a cataclysm.

Crazy Zaul

Oct 5, 2010
He had a good point how stupid ppl are that say GZ for every achievement no matter how effortless it is to get it.

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
Got farther than I did. I only made it to level 20 before the NUMBAHs lost their appeal to me.

Although that's really how every MMO goes for me. Play it for a bit, bore of it because getting to the top tier requires waaaay to much commitment in time, money, or both.

Frozengale

Sep 9, 2009
Exterminas said:
Frozengale said:
Exterminas said:
I am suprised by this shallow opinion.
Wow is bad, because it ruined a few lives?
Doesn't make that gaming bad, because it ruined a few lives?

No, it doesn't. If you let your life get ruined by something as easy as Wow, then there weere clearly problems there before.

Like... oh, lets say: A child, that you didn't want in the first place and that shackles you to your home.
A "few" is an understatement when it comes to WoW. I've watched several people have their lives ruined in some way by this game. If it isn't neglecting their job or their school work, it's neglecting their family and friends and becoming obsessed by increasing their numbers in a silly little game.

Some games are WORTH spending several hours of your life on. Minecraft is not only a game but a very nice creative outlet for example. WoW is just an endless stream of killing the same enemies in the same ways until you get a level to kill them in a slightly different same way. Then you rinse and repeat. Raise your numbers, and at the end of the day find that you you've wasted a large amount of time on something incredibly pointless.
Sorry but, you are reducing a MMORPG to it's gameplay, which ignores the two M.
If Minecraft is a crative outlet, then Wow is a socializing platform.
So what you might have seen as "neglecting friends and family" might actually have been "finding new friends" for the playing person.
I met a lot of people via wow who are now close real life friends. It's a great hobby to do with great people. Playing it alone would result in said parade of numbers.

I don't raid to get a bigger sowrd. I raid to achieve something with friends. It's like building an IKEA-cupboard together. Often frustrating but uniting.
Well if your only reason for WoW is to socialize then you have my pity. Minecraft has social aspects as well. And if you socialize over such a pathetic excuse for a game as WoW then you have many other problems. Seriously?! Why does everyone bring up this as their only and last defense for this game? "It's social" "I play it with my mates" "My girlfriend and I pretend to have sex in the forest with our avatars". Well good golly sweet molly! It's not like there aren't a thousand other games out there for socializing. Most, if not all of them, not so shallow and depressingly life wrenching as World of Warcraft. You are trying to defend a GAME on the fact that it is good because of other people, a completely separate element from the game itself. It would be like saying sawing my arm off is a good social activity because my best friend is the one doing the sawing!

Blackjack 222

Dec 2, 2009
The weak get sucked in, the average get sucked in and eventually escape(some do) and the strong/smart escape before its too late. WoW is good at what it does but Blizzard is evil and i managed to get that dried up husk i cal a soul back before it was too late. To be fair it was a dried up husk prior to WoW but now it smells of other souls from being in the crate with the other souls.

Idocreating

Apr 16, 2009
teknoarcanist said:
I have not made friends.
Then you probably missed the point. Most of the reason I still play WoW is because of the friends I've made while playing it.

Cadapalo

Jun 8, 2010
So yahtzee liked it? Wow I did not see that one coming. Guess I can't blame him though, the game has gotten a lot less of get/kill x amount of x. Its not gone but a lot less of that and leveling has gotten tremendously easier. Curse you blizzard for bringing me back.

RipCanvas

Jan 13, 2011
I'm probably one of the more rare WoW players who is in a guild comprised mostly of friends from school/work/life and plays with them as a sort of buffer between gatherings. I mean, not gunna lie, we all care about the numbers [though I honestly hate it when my armor clashes, bleh] because we want to down raid bosses and kill dirty Alliance players, and honestly it's also about the pwning and winning [just like any other game], but it's more about the bonding between murdering NPCs and other players that makes the game enjoyable.

I never understood people who only play for gear after the top level. That seems like it would get so boring and tedious. Soloing up to 85 in Cataclysm isn't as bad as it was in the previous expansions cause the quests are extremely lore-heavy now [and there's a quest chain where you get to see Garrosh throw a doucher off the side of a mountain, which was funny], and a good majority of them are really engaging rather than feeling like a daily grind [aside from the daily quests, those can go die in a hole]. But after that... Eh, gear is gear. It's only fun to get it if you can rub it in a friend's face because you got it first.

And pugging heroics/raids is like hitting your head against a spiked brick wall. Repeatedly.

Bryan McDonald

Aug 3, 2010
not even essentially, It IS true. I'm an ex wow head as well and i can safely say that end game is a bunch of life draining shit that has no purpose.. On that note anyone willing to buy a level 80 blood elf pally? 5.9k gs and a lock and Death knight =D

Lazier Than Thou

Jun 27, 2009
Are a collection of gamers seriously here to complain about a single type of game that "has no purpose?" Seriously?

Let me see if I can make this as abundantly clear as possible. Games are pointless. All of them. Some you might feel a more emotional attachment to above others because of superior gameplay, story telling, atmosphere or any other trivial thing that DOES NOT MATTER. Has any game cured hunger? Has any game saved a human life? Has any game cured a disease, ended a famine, or created a new species? Has any game done ANYTHING OF SIGNIFICANCE? No. They're all(ALL) about wasting time. About enjoyment, having fun. They're about making your boring, unfulfilled life feel a little less boring, a little less unfulfilled. If a game has done that, it has served its purpose.

Simply put, if you're going to say that FPS games are in any way less "about numbers" than an MMO, you're doing nothing but kidding yourself about your pathetic life.

Now, I have to go back to ignoring my pathetic life by killing some imaginary monsters in an imaginary universe that will do no more good for the real world than if I had done the EXACT SAME THING in a different imaginary universe.

Bobbity

Mar 17, 2010
I'm right now thinking that if Yahtzee had asked for people to volunteer their accounts so he could experience the endgame content - not necessarily raiding, but the high level cataclysm zones - people would have come to him in droves, despite the high likelihood of his just selling the accounts on ebay and blowing a raspberry in their faces.
Anyway, I liked the review, and, however much unwillingly, agree with it. The stuff he's said has creeped me out somewhat and while I hadn't started raiding yet, now I'm not sure I'm going to.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
So you're horde. Why doesn't that surprise me but yes, honestly I was one of them and fuck the alliance. That's clearly the dev's standpoint at any rate and it shines through pretty clearly to anyone who sits down with the game for five minutes. They don't even try to balance things out and whena sked if they're happy with 6 to 1 player ratios say "we're happy with the balance." Being on the alliance is one long exercise in pointless frustration and determination. Anyhow after having wasted 5 years playing that game, goodbye forever WOW. Well said Yahtzee, well said.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
WOPR said:
Madara XIII said:
Athinira said:
OMFG this was epic! :D

NUMBEEEEEEEEERZ!

But like most people said, this was indeed a unexpected, but it was fun :) I should get my lazy ass to buy Cataclysm soon.
However I believe Yahtzee is wrong on one part......I Destroyed my sanity trying to 100% Metroid Prime on hard....SO MANY FREAKING PIRATES!!! AAAAAAGH DX
He said "Super Metroid" not "Metroid Prime"

you know the one on the Super Nintendo

that has a demo in Brawl (if you actually still HAVE that game)
I know. I was just using a well known game that most people grind on as an example. Trust me if I get my hands on a game that ranks your percentile of completion, you bet your ass I'm gonna go for 100%

Jan 9, 2011
I was fairly adamant that I would never eventry 'World of Warcraft'. Now I'm absolutely sure I'll never play it, and that goes pretty much for all MMORPG's. If I'm ever going to invest my time/money/life into an MMO, I'm going to do it when I'm retired, and no sooner.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
I bought Mogworld somewhere between 30 and 60 days ago. Great AMAZING novel. This book really needs more advertising. How about mentioning its price? I got it for only $10 (Canadian, not U.S.) at my local book superstore. That's only like 5-something Euros. Good price for a book.

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
Lazier Than Thou said:
Are a collection of gamers seriously here to complain about a single type of game that "has no purpose?" Seriously?

Let me see if I can make this as abundantly clear as possible. Games are pointless. All of them. Some you might feel a more emotional attachment to above others because of superior gameplay, story telling, atmosphere or any other trivial thing that DOES NOT MATTER. Has any game cured hunger? Has any game saved a human life? Has any game cured a disease, ended a famine, or created a new species? Has any game done ANYTHING OF SIGNIFICANCE? No. They're all(ALL) about wasting time. About enjoyment, having fun. They're about making your boring, unfulfilled life feel a little less boring, a little less unfulfilled. If a game has done that, it has served its purpose.

Simply put, if you're going to say that FPS games are in any way less "about numbers" than an MMO, you're doing nothing but kidding yourself about your pathetic life.

Now, I have to go back to ignoring my pathetic life by killing some imaginary monsters in an imaginary universe that will do no more good for the real world than if I had done the EXACT SAME THING in a different imaginary universe.
I think they mean purpose within the game. Maybe i'm completely wrong by using this example but I will anyways. I knew a guy who liked to play games. He's really good at it too. He shows off this one game he likes to play which was a standard jrpg. Well the whole time he was playing it he basically skipped through all the cutscenes and plot developments and everything. You might say because he knows it all and doesn't want to watch the scenes again but upon asking him what the plot is he says he doesn't remember. So why does he play it? Because he likes all the combos he gets to pull off and the high damage he does to the enemy AI.
Now you may see nothing wrong with that but for me I thought it was completely empty to play a game that's supposed to have a story for everything but that. The problem that's percieved in WoW is that instead of having interesting situations talking to colorful people and experiencing a well woven and immersive story line your just on fetch quest and item gathering missions so you can afford more fetch quest and be able to go on more item gathering missions.
You can get much more from that such as friends and of course there has to be the occasional story line and cutscene and after hours and hours of searching and wandering around the world you could get absorbed in it all but from a laymans point of view it just seems like a game without a real purpose.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
RipCanvas said:
And pugging heroics/raids is like hitting your head against a spiked brick wall. Repeatedly.
Welcome to the Escapist, dude. Hope you enjoy it here.

ArianaUO321

Mar 20, 2010
Now thats just hysterical to me... even Yahtzee hates the Alliance. I think the only people who even like Alliance are the people who play it, and even that is a small number.