Zero Punctuation: World of Warcraft: Cataclysm

Pikey Mikey

Aug 24, 2010
I've quit playing WoW a few times (started playing with some friends/my brother and then got bored again) and I'm not gonna get Cataclysm any time soon, if at all. I just don't see the point of playing anymore, it's just more of the same grind,quests and raids that I don't get the point of. And I don't like PvP because it's just a clusterfuck of people with "Murdering Gladiator's Death Raiment" with 12 enchantments on every item. (Overexaggeration I know.)
But anyhow, this video was EPIC =D
[Insert some phrase/form of appreciation here] (to) you Yahtzee.

Headbiter

Nov 9, 2009
Well, gobbledigoo and blargldiblarg, Yahtzee reviewed WoW....again.

As a long-time WoW player (who nontheless manages to lead a life, has sex, is pretty well-built and still likes sports, so appearently I'm some sort of alien from another dimension) I clicked at the play button in utter expectance of a 6-minute-hatefest.

The second surprise struck me when all in all he didn't actually call out on the game but rather on the largest part of the community, to which I honestly can only agree.

Sure, I'd given him a more sophisticated answer to his "Why do you raid?"-question, since honestly I don't care much about the exact numbers. No, don't give me that look, I strictly believe, that as long as the challenges in the game drop dead before you do, that's good and if it's the other way around, that's bad and you should improve either yourself or your equipment. But I never even installed a damage-meter or got much into theorycrafting, that's the world of designers, the poor awkward bastards.
But yes, despite me desperately waving my "Please accept me as a normal person who just happens to like WoW"-sign, I largely had to agree with what he said here.

The whole "Grats"-thing boggled me for quite a while. xxx earned the Achievement [Looted 1000 gold]. Why the hell should I congratulate for that? There's nothing to it that makes that some sort of outstanding performance. It's not even EARN 1000 Gold in 48 hours exclusively through the auction house, it's just a pat on the shoulder because you managed something you didn't have influence on to begin with.

And the Deathwing-Achievement. Most retarded thing ever introduced to an achievement-system. Getting rewarded for dying. If anything the achievement should be given for you SURVIVING an attack of Deathwing. You know, as a reward for you begin fast enough in mind and...fingers so you take cover somewhere before the guy turns you into a crisp?

But hey, minor retardations. I still play and like WoW, so I guess I must be weird.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Fangobra said:
John Funk said:
Sorry, it's not wrong. They are providing a service. You are paying for the service, the same way as you would pay for a product. It just happens that in this case, you need to buy a product (the WoW account - the software, essentially, is worthless) to access the service. Much like how you need to pay for a computer in order to use the internet, or a TV in order to watch your cable.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with charging a fee for the use of a service.
No there isn't, but there IS something wrong with withholding access to the full functionality of a consumer's OWN PROPERTY until they pay you more money. You can use a computer offline, and a television as a screen for a computer/home media player, but Wow's software is completely and utterly useless until you fork out to Blizzard AGAIN, on top of the frankly criminal amount you paid for the discs, and continue to do so monthly.
Except in this case, it is understood that the "product" you are buying is not the discs, but rather the WoW account, and as such it is a function of the service that Blizzard provides.

Also, you can buy regular WoW for what, $15? They had a sale a month ago to get the game and both (then) expansions for $20. Hardly "criminal."

Roninraver

Dec 2, 2009
samaugsch said:
The Alliance does have one thing that the Horde doesn't.

...SPACE ALIENS!...

...and that's pretty much it.
Orcs are from Draenor (Outland), and are not originally native to Azeroth. They are from a world that exists in space, that is not the world they currently live upon.

Horde has space aliens too!

The difference between Orcs and Draenei is that the latter are second generation space aliens, they've world-hopped twice now.
Damned tentacle-faced, windchime-lovin' alien drifters, takin' all our jerbs!

Farseer Lolotea

Mar 11, 2010
samaugsch said:

...SPACE ALIENS!...

Orcs are just as much "space aliens" as draenei are.

The Horde has also lost its two best leaders (one died, the other stepped down) and is getting hit with the villain ball, story-wise. Player-wise, the Horde is overrun with elves. I've played (and still play) both factions, and it doesn't seem like either side really ever holds an edge for long.

That said, much as faction-baiting bugs me, I enjoyed the video. Yahtzee's characteristic snark was entertaining as always. And based on responses that I've seen to the video, he seems to have pointed out enough painful truths about the game and the player base to make enough of the fans squirm.

Neshel

Nov 12, 2009
Whoever Yahtzee asked "why do you raid" to is one of those players I hate. Seriously. Raiding is a social event where you get to see awesome encounters basically just have fun. Gear is the end result, sure, but if you're only playing for gear you're going to be one of those twats who takes things too seriously/throws a hissy fit if things aren't going exactly the way s/he wants, etc. Those people suck to play with.

Yrgen

Feb 14, 2010
I'm going to buy Mogworld the instant it is released digitally.
Everyone go to amazon and request the kindle version!

I'm not gonna have a pile of sliced forest sendt over the atlantic just because amazon is to lazy to format it for the kindle.

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
Oooh I read Mogworld recently. It was pretty good actually, I hope Yahtzee can get another book published.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
So when I looked at the front page and saw that today's ZP was for Cataclysm, BOTH of my eyebrows went up. (Trust me, this is a rare and momentous occasion.) I figured it would be a bucket of laughs, and it was. Unlike many others, I was unsurprised at the depth of his experience with the game- seriously, he's SAID he's played before; he doesn't criticize it out of "general moral principle" like so many others- and, honestly, I do pretty much agree with every point he raises in the game's disfavor.

(I will take this moment to insert the obligatory HORD 4 LYF, YO. Thank you for your patience.)

The thing is, though, that I like the game despite these flaws. It offers me a fun environment, lots of humor, easily-discernable progression, and a chance to play in small groups where I can use my skills to help others. (Raiding is not my big thing and I never did it in groups bigger than 10.) It gets a little grind-y, sure, but that's why I have a number of diverse characters and stop playing once it isn't being fun. Moderation: It WORKS.

I can accept that Yahtzee isn't going to "love" WoW. The flaws he points out are entirely valid, and if they prevent him from enjoying the game, there's not really any reason for him to play it, is there? Hopefully at least this will quell all the outcries of "you never gave it a chance!"... because, seriously, I don't think I could level anything to 60 in three weeks; I don't have that sort of staying power.

However, I will say that Ben missed out on one of the most hilarious quests in the game: One where you are placed in the middle of a thermonuclear sphere and tasked to run over one thousand Gnomes. I swear I am not making this up. [http://www.wowhead.com/quest=27779]

[small]Seriously, though, he's in a Guild?! Twenty bucks says it has some just-under-the-radar reference to genitalia in the name.[/small]

Krion_Vark

Mar 25, 2010
I have to say that he said exactly why I had a problem with WoW besides running out of money. Also when he started saying numbers I immediately thought of this youtube video when they say Kenyans a bunch of times.

Death God

Jul 6, 2010
Four people on probation all within the same time? That must be close to a record.
OT: I have always hated WoW. Seemed to mindless and not enough story for me.

sir.rutthed

Stormfather take you!
Nov 10, 2009
samaugsch said:

...SPACE ALIENS!...

Don't Orcs and Draeni come from the same space-dimension-portal-thingy? Actually, I just noticed 3 other posts basically making this same correction, so I'll just say this: Horde has better cursing. Honestly, how can the Alliance beat "THRALL'S BALLS!!!"?

[The]Rock

Jan 12, 2011
When cataclysm came out my reaction was 'HOLY SHIT! they haven't finished D3 yet for THIS!?' not a shit is given by me about World of Warcraft.

isin13

Jul 7, 2010
I made reference to this a long time ago in one of the billions of WOW: Cataclysm videos that the escapist have uploaded, and this video just told me all i needed to know. Escapist magazine is being paid off by Blizzard to hype up their shitty games. Poor Yahtzee, forced to sell out...

(expecting a ban)

Azmael Silverlance

Pirate Warlord!
Oct 20, 2009
Yahtzee you ask why ppl raid. Why didnt you try raiding too? u had a guild....might help u see a different side of the game ^^

N didnt you think that the new quests are soo much better than the way old ones worked...
i dont think u gave enough cradit to the changes put in the Cataclysm :X
Tho i agree with the nobody loves me baby scene....too much of that around :X

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
Mhm It's not a brilliant game but it's somewhat playable, I think this review reflects that surprisingly well.

It's like... if it wasn't so damn addictive the entire thing would just drag, it's like it tricks your mind into thinking it's more enjoyable. Not that that's entirely a bad thing though, it's a damn good time waster.