Zero Punctuation: World of Warcraft: Cataclysm

Boaal

Dec 30, 2008
I thought the big thing with WoW was PVP, but six months after release I couldn't see it anymore... I've never played WoW, but I figure if I;m gonna play an MMO I want exploration, character buildings variety and lots of focus PVP.
I tried the free trial of warhammer online ages ago and that was fun, but the character building seemed very "you can get everythign you want to so variety is kinda non existant." But it was still fun - mass pvp in the little level 10 area.

DestyNova

Nov 18, 2009
I'm actually surprised. I thought there wouldn't be one today, on account of the flooding. Anyways, stay safe, Yahtzee.

Smallells

Feb 18, 2010
I feel like Yahtzee reviewed the game for half the video and then just ranted for the other half.

If there's a difference!

KnifeyMcStaberson

Dec 15, 2010
well I didn't want to play it before and now I want to play it even less.

but hey if this is your type of game and you are excited about it then cool and more power to you.

Zaydin

Mar 2, 2009
Well, this caught me by surprise. I half expected it to be a joke video, myself. But still, was an entertaining video.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Sacman said:
Seeing Wow on the front page as a Zero Punctuation was surprising... even more surprising was that he didn't spend the entire review ripping it apart...<.<
I think he reviewed it maturely. The game IS well designed, colourful, and can be enjoyable. Its 20million subscribers cannot all be ex-meth addicts looking for a legal fix :p

He just doesn't enjoy it, which is fine.

Hell being a WoW player just makes this review much funnier.

That said, For the Alliance :D

angelblack

Jul 3, 2008
Was honestly surprised at the fact that he reviewed it. Not surprised that he liked it.

No game reviewer can argue that it is a BAD game, only an evil game like any other MMO. The game didn't reach 12m subscribers by being littered with bad design choices. Nobody saying it isn't evil; some people play it, some people don't, that's all.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Grayfayce said:
Wow. Didn't expect that.

Hilarious review Yahtzee - and I played World of Warcraft for 3 months and got to level 40. I then got called a 'loser' by one of my friends with 5 level 80s. Go figure...
Now that is hilarious! Shows a lot of a insight... oh, wait, that was sarcasm. Thank you, you made my day with that.

Ghostkai said:
I think, dare I say it... he liked it quite a bit. The "anti-WoW" jokes(i.e no life etc.) seemed to be tacked on to keep this episode in line with the cynicism of ZP. Not surprised he likes WoW though, he did work for PC Gamer after all.
I got the same impression. It wasn't that hidden, he's slaughtered games he likes more than he did this game. Basically what he said is that it's evil and will destroy your life so I guess that's bad.

PH3NOmenon

Oct 23, 2009
"Because spending time with nine friends on Ventrilo without doing anything would get pretty boring." As an answer to the "So why do you raid?" question.

It is a bit of a shame you didn't do anything of the nearer-to-end-game content. I.e. not raids, but the 80 to 85 zones. The old world quests may have been revamped, but they're still in the old world. Zones like Vashj'ir provide a pretty damn pretty background for the exp-grind.

Still, most of what you mentioned is true. WoW's a timesink. Most games are, though considering the amount of hours spent in-game, usually other games bring more variety to the table. Though WoW is infinitely better in a social context. Something a self-proclaimed misanthrope like YahTZee is bound to miss out on.

The video was pretty fun though, even if it is just for the Alliance bashing.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
"Nobody ever ruined their lives to get 100% items in Super Metroid"
Oh, totally. But that's because WoW lacks closure. There is absolutely no end goal in sight, because if there was the game would be massively less profitable.

And that's the sort of evil that sets Diablo apart from WoW. The item grind for PvP was always strictly optional because the basic game itself (barring people who rush, hack and cheat) was challenging and random enough.

Great retrospective; for once, I could at least agree with Yahtzee in practical terms without having to strip the layer of weapons-grade cynicism away.

KazOondo

Mar 18, 2009
I swear, if there's one thing that actually might get me to stop playing WoW it's all the hate I get for preferring the Alliance. Someone want to tell me what the fugg is wrong with the Alliance? You don't ever see us going around rubbing our balls in the faces of people who prefer the Horde, so you can't say it's because we're immature when that's what every Hordie and his mum seems to do.

May 26, 2010
John Funk said:
And what about paying for a service like cable TV or internet? You're paying to access the WOW servers and interface with Blizzard 's scripts and triggers. There's a reason private servers suck; they don't have any of the npc abilities.
Internet is an extension of functionality. Your computer is not useless without it, and there is really quite a lot you can do.

Cable TV is wrong in the same way, however. That's why Freeview was invented.

Wolfenbarg

Terrible Person
Oct 18, 2010
Holy cow, he actually made a video on it. I am quite baffled. I would like to know how he joined a guild though. I bet he told everyone that he really was the Zero Punctuation guy and they herded around him like innocent lambs and tried to give him things. Well that's what I want to think at least.

Tetranitrophenol

Apr 4, 2010
Ive been feeling a bit gloomy because of my final exams but this video made my week!
Freaking AWESOME! lol F**k! the Alliance!!! xD