Zero Punctuation: XBLA Double Bill

Playbahnosh

Dec 12, 2007
I only played the first and A Link To The Past, and I leave it at that. I don't want to ruin the awesome experience that was Zelda to me.

The Sorrow

Jan 27, 2008
I found it quite amusing. I don't know if it's better or worse than his old ones, but I do know that I laughed several times, particularly at the "identical midget twins" part.
It was enjoyable. That's what matters.

Yassen

Apr 5, 2008
I must say Yahtzee seemed extremely angry in this review (more than usual) I wonder what's up. I was also expecting him to do TFU, but i guess he'll do that next week.

Bin Laden

Aug 23, 2008
ive got the world record on challenge 24 in bionic commando- which is the only one i tried. nobody will ever come close to it. i am the superior gamer, pussies.

Rosshooton1

Sep 25, 2008
Hurrah,yet another informative video from Yahtzee. I salute his choice at looking at some of the lesser known games, perhaps this will attract new people to the particularly underrated medium of games. hopefully he will take a look at fallout, but it is pretty much the same as oblivion. Strip down the nuclear war and it its pretty much the same game just with fewer buildings to worry about designing. Little point in reviewing it as he essentially already has done.
o and the cake is a lie

yourkie1921

Jul 24, 2008
What'd you rather? I prefer the health bars.......and possibly the hide behind cover system at the same time as long as you're not spending all of your time sucking your thumb waiting for your health to recover and enemies advance often enough where you won't heal a lot mid-fight. But the lives system can go to hell.

bittman

Sep 11, 2008
That's all good and well, but really: Pretty Colours > Gameplay > Bad Gameplay > Shades of Brown and Grey.

Health bars and lives (le gasp) will work where they are needed. Lives are only useless in games that are big and where finishing the story is secondary to the accomplishment of actually beating the game in a sitting. If the game can't be beat in one sitting, then lives are pointless. Time Crisis comes to mind when I think of proper use of lives...Mario games definitely not so much...

HEY BEN! SEE YOU IN NOVEMBER AT THE YOU KNOW WHAT/WHERE/WHY/ and how. Got that game designers job yet?

Stcb

Sep 25, 2008
144 post=6.72328.757452 said:
ZerodMikestar post=6.72328.755912 said:
wow no, maybe I'll give you Sunshine over Mario 64 (and definitely galaxy over it)

but Twilight Princess over Ocarina of Time?...that's just ever so slightly categorically incorrect. there's an equation that proves it and everything

it goes along the lines of:

Ocarina = better than Twilight Princess. Simple. It had you as a bloody wolf for half the game and borrowed pretty much everything from Ocarina of time. eegads

rant over

funny chat today yahtzee, always hilarious calling children c*nts because they ARE
And if I bothered to, every single quote like this as well, so nothing personal, quoted guy:

I am prone to replay 1-player games. Take, for instance, Civilization, or Pokemon, or final fantasy n<14. If I felt like replaying any given Zelda game, they would be, in this order, TP, WW, OoT, LttP, PH (I haven't played/don't care about the others). Similarly, for Mario, they would be Galaxy, then Sunshine, then 64.
Why?
Good question. The answer lies in the point Yahtzee made and everyone who then whined about it missed: part of what made those games great was that they were the first to do what was in the later games. That's how time works. But if I wanted the Ocarina of Time experience, I'd play Twilight Princess, which does everything Oot does with better graphics and controls, more freedom in combat, and has the added wolf sections which, if I don't like them, do not actually take a long time. You HAD to be a wolf for about...5 extended periods of time or so. And all you had to do was collect little bugs, which I thought was fun, but for those who didn't, it shouldn't matter, because every single temple was still done in human form.
Similarly with Sunshine - the gameplay was cleaner than it was in 64, and all they did was tack on the water pistol, which, if you didn't like it, was often entirely unnecessary for more than half of the game. If that sounds familiar, you may have read the previous paragraph.
What I'm saying is that most games with sequels do not take anything out of the old game, but rather, just add more in. The experience is there, but so are some others being tried out to see how people like it.

In the case of sonic going 3d, it's understandable that people don't like the sequels because the actual intended gameplay is substantially different, not just the old stuff with better graphics and some new elements installed (which is what I hope Sonic Unleashed will be, though it may suck regardless).

So feel free to tell me why I'm wrong, but I probably won't care, because I do understand the hypnotic power Pokemon red and Mario 64 have over me, in that I think they're more amazing than I should think by today's standards.
I created an account to specifically reply to this post. That's probably not relevant, though.

If I wanted to replay Super Mario 64, I'd replay Super Mario 64. Why? Well, maybe because Sunshine had so many flaws that the original never even had to address, such as a ridiculously easy story, an even more uncooperative camera, a tacked-on gameplay mechanic (the infamous "water pistol) that is never fully realized, just plain boring level design, etc. etc. Twilight Princess falls into the same trap, considering it's basically a retelling of a story that I have played far too much, except without the difficulty, the fantastic level design, or the absence of wolves (seriously, did anybody like those sections?) I hate to say it, but I disagree with Yahtzee. He tries to stick the nostalgia label on any classic gamer, even if the gamer hasn't even played the game before. For example, I bought Ninja Gaiden II for sixty USD last week, and have yet to enjoy a single minute of it, yet Blackthorne, the "edgy" Prince of Persia clone I downloaded for free due to its abandonware status remains my primary game at the moment. Why? Honestly, I don't give a shit about the graphics, the sound, the characters, or the story as long as it controls well and is fun to play. I can name about six games on the Xbox 360 that accomplish this, two on the Wii, and one on the PS3. Too selective? Maybe, but I still have more fun playing Earthbound than I do with games like Ninja Gaiden II, which is quickly becoming my eternal example as a "style over substance" game.

As far as the post I quoted goes, whatever small advantage Twilight Princess gains over Ocarina of Time by emphasizing its laughable "cinematic" story is lost the second I walked into the first temple and instantly recognized it as a mixture between the Forest Temple and Inside the Deku Tree. At least Wind Waker tried a new art style to hide the similarities. So, yeah, I guess I'm looking for originality in the games I buy. If you're going to repackage the same game over and over, at least make sure to indicate as which on the damn cover.

P.S.: Yahtzee, if I wanted to watch a character get developed, I'd read a goddamn novel. Seeing generic video game character X turn into Hero Stereotype #1313 isn't exactly my idea of fun. Hell, I can only think of two games that have stories I'd qualify as "good", and that's the Legacy of Kain series along with Max Payne. If you're looking for an excellent story in a fighting game, perhaps you're not reviewing the right genre. Stay out of things you don't understand. After all, it's not the genre's fault it's not appealing to twitch gamers such as yourself. (Note: not hating on twitch gamers)

Stelman257

Apr 5, 2008
You know he's right. If you play Twilight Princess BEFORE you play Orcana of Time (Like i did) you will find TP to be better. Simply put it's newer and i never new that the gameplay was borrowing from OOT.
Either was as technology advances games get better and the older games are left in the dust, regardless of what hardcore fans say.

Also loved the Hitler comments. Especially since i've done history on WW2 and know what your talking about. Everyone else look it up on Wikipedia.

Stcb

Sep 25, 2008
Stelman257 post=6.72328.758257 said:
You know he's right. If you play Twilight Princess BEFORE you play Orcana of Time (Like i did) you will find TP to be better. Simply put it's newer and i never new that the gameplay was borrowing from OOT.
Either was as technology advances games get better and the older games are left in the dust, regardless of what hardcore fans say.

Also loved the Hitler comments. Especially since i've done history on WW2 and know what your talking about. Everyone else look it up on Wikipedia.
No, I don't know he's right. Perhaps he (and you) should play the series in the order it's supposed to be played (or maybe not anymore. Nintendo probably doesn't want you to notice the huge similarities), then you might be able to see where I'm coming from. Plus, most of the flaws associated with Twilight Princess could be sensed by anyone with half-a-brain. Coming off Okami, the dungeons were stiff and extremely linear, something I thought was addressed in the latter half of Wind Waker. Twilight Princess isn't just mediocre compared to Ocarina of Time, it's just a repetitive gaming experience all the way throughout. It also sort of seems paradoxical for Nintendo to shunt out the "hardcore" gamers, who, in truth, were the only people who actually bought the GameCube and made it so they didn't drop out last gen.

AshR1

Sep 25, 2008
I love XBLA for the "nostalga".

And it's funny this is up today as I set up my Commodore 64 last night on a 42" LCD, looks great compared to the 15" CRT Tv I used to play on in the late 80s.

I've been toting it around for the last few years and thought I should check it still runs... and it does :) yay for Old School Gaming