Zero Punctuation: Yakuza 4

RedBeta22

Aug 28, 2008
Why are Japanese games full of weird reaction noises? Wah? Huh? I've always thought they were there because of the translation from Japanese to English, but if they're in the Japanese VO as well? Could somebody explain?

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
zombie711 said:
does anyone get a "God hand" vibe from this game.

PS what is a hostess club?
a brothel where the clients don't get to sleep with the slappers, just pretend that their going out for an hour, and pay a lot for the privilage.

OT waiting for "constable Blimey Chips" to be released!

A1

Jul 9, 2009
Well Yahtzee do you really think guys who are very much accustomed to life threatening situations and brutal no-holds-barred fights to the death would really give a shit about a little chilly breeze?

emusega

Jan 17, 2011
Again, another game series I never played. Am I wrong or were there surprisingly many positive points mentioned in favour of the game (aka like 10 %).

Oh and were the three predecessors good?

Headbiter

Nov 9, 2009
randommaster said:
Celtic_Kerr said:
German Yahtzee? I think I died when heard that.

Fantastic episode as always!
German Yahtzee's also in his Zack and Wiki review . Maybe there's something about overly-Japanese games that brings out the German in him.
I might be mixing stuff up but didn't he (or wasn't it) mention(ed)that he studied erm..."Germanistik" for a while? (I'm sorry, is the English version "Germanistic" or do you just say "I study German"?)

Anyway, loved the review and especially the Nuh!-Duh!-Nani-Remix-idea. Has to be made and put up right next to the Deus Ex-song.
Sad thing is, it's so true, even beyond that game. If people around me would ask "What?" as often as people do in Japanese games/mange/movies I would seriously doubt my ability to articulate myself.

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
ImBigBob said:
Wait a minute, Yahtzee claims he doesn't like going for 100% completion, but here he is trying to get all the letters in the alphabet.

You've sold out.
If he were trying he'd go out of his way to review games with titles that would fill the gaps. He's keeping track, but he's not making it his goal. Priorities.

OT: I had never before considered a dance mix made solely of reactionary sounds from Japanese games and anime. ... Not sure if want.

Misho-

May 20, 2010
I would like to get into the Yakuza franchise, but I'm hesitant to go pick every Yakuza game evar just to get who's who.

tryfan

Apr 13, 2011
I loved this game.

That being said, I haven't skipped so much dialogue since Mass Effect 2. The Japanese dress-up game was weird as well.

The betrayals play like a bad soap opera. "Good" sop operas at least give you a breather in between plot wrenching back stabbing. This game gives them out like candy. One character even comes back from getting shot like a comic book character. He's perfectly fine, and can kick your ass if you aren't careful. A bit like Uncharted 2, actually. Drake gets shot, sleeps for 3 days, good to go!

Overall, great review. Sucks that Japan is shaking to bits. Also a pity that the next Yakuza game has been delayed indefinitely because it was set in earthquake stricken Tokyo. I wonder if the people who thought up the concept have bought lottery tickets yet, or at least gone to a pachinko parlour to turn a wheel to win stuffed animals.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
windlenot said:
That intro sure was completely necessary to balence out that statement, haha. I would also play a game called Constable Blimey Chaps.
Me too, in a heartbeat.

redbeta22 said:
Why are Japanese games full of weird reaction noises? Wah? Huh? I've always thought they were there because of the translation from Japanese to English, but if they're in the Japanese VO as well? Could somebody explain?
Watch any one of the cheesier shounen anime series. Along with shouting character names, they take up half the dialogue.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
Headbiter said:
randommaster said:
Celtic_Kerr said:

Fantastic episode as always!
German Yahtzee's also in his Zack and Wiki review . Maybe there's something about overly-Japanese games that brings out the German in him.
I might be mixing stuff up but didn't he (or wasn't it) mention(ed)that he studied erm..."Germanistik" for a while? (I'm sorry, is the English version "Germanistic" or do you just say "I study German"?)
It'd be "I study German," I believe. I don't recall Yahtzee ever saying anything about stydying anything from Germany, though.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Chiefwakka said:
So, are we fearing karma now Yahtzee? :p
It just seems a little late, doesn't it?

Does it at least play the Final Fantasy victory tune when you're done smashing faces in random encounters?

Flame Rider

Apr 5, 2010
Most of what is expressed here is why I find it hard to sympathise with the Japanese in their hard times.

Wierdos.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Celtic_Kerr said:
Not new, though, did it in a Mario review mid-last year (I think...)

OT: To answer: YA-ku-ZA, not ya-KU-za... though you probably already know that, dontcha...

shi-ne!

Lionriver

Nov 22, 2010
There's two ways to react negativly to a game when it comes to story and it probably needs to be reworked if you say any of the following while playing;
"Stop interrupting my gameplay with story!"
or
"Stop interrupting my story with gameplay!"
I had actually shoutet the second part while playing Lost Odyssey and it sounds like Yakuza 4 suffers from "Stop interrupting my gameplay with story!".

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
Genuine Evil said:
I wonder if it was the escapist or Yahtzee who put that intro in
Most likely the Escapist. My guess is either Yahtzee makes these weeks in advance or he made this ep after the tragedy, but is aware that...

Nurb said:
commenting on a culture's seemingly odd interests doesn't imply you want horrible things to happen to them.
Either way, due to the eathquate and reactor issues, Escapist probably wanted to lessen the chance of Yahtzee rustling any feathers.

OT: The review of this game actually confused me a bit. I haven't played any of the Yakuza games, so I was under the impression that the game's focus was to handle things as realistically as possible (or y'know, about as realistic as a game about gang members can get), but from the sound of this review, Yakuza 4 is a little wacky.

Also, the reaction noise stuff kinda gets on my nerves too. But you know what's even worse? When the characters repeat what someone just said but in the form of a question. If I were an ignorant boob that just judges Japan's culture from what I've seen in anime, I would think that everyone there is hard of hearing.