Zero Punctuation: Zelda Phantom Hourglass

roo18

Oct 8, 2007
Another ace review :):)
You will never need to decide on what game to buy again.
Just read these.

Loved it, can't wait til next weeks.

AK-00

Oct 30, 2007
Good one.
I think my favourite part was probably "Sometimes I like to rename Link 'I say', because it makes all the other characters sound like Foghorn Leghorn".

the_pearson_person

Sep 6, 2007
Woohooo I love Wednesdays and Zero Punctuation day. Amusing review as always! Thanks!

For all those on Facebook, join the Zero Punctuation Appreciation Society!

It's avaliable here: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6725770567

You know you want to!

Hazelwolf

Nov 7, 2007
JustDJR said:
So I guess you enjoyed Okami?
As did I, very pleased to see it mentioned after the vitriolic hilarity.(The magic Japanese paintbrush dog he was alluding to at the end for those who may not be in the know)

Meophist

Jul 11, 2006
Despite the fact that I loved Phantom Hourglass, I still enjoyed this review quite a bit. I actually enjoyed the temple that you go back to again and again because it's essentially a new dungeon each time. I think the timer was well implemented and it's one of the few things in Zelda that requires you to think before you act. At one point, I actually ran out of time in the temple, trying to go further than I needed to go, trying to manage the remaining life I had, as well as finding ways to gain more time created some tension I haven't felt in a Zelda game for a long time.

Illuminatis

Oct 3, 2007
I like the review but I think the arguement of Nintendo not trying anything different is fairly stupid. Considering all the new ips the have created over the last few years I dont know how you say they arnt trying create fresh games. Animal Crossing, Pikmin, Geist, Disaster, Praject Hammer, Custom Robo, Battallion Wars, just to name a few.

Jack.B.Nimble

Aug 22, 2007
No politics this week?

But we can't possibly appreciate the minutiae and subtleties of the game without properly understanding the socio-political context in which it was created.

I'm going to start a 28 page flame-fest right now demanding that the controversial political content be put back in.

Who's with me?

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
"... but this isn't a review: this is simply hateful bashing."

Cry mich ein river? : P

Watch the first five seconds of the bioshock review. Your answer is there.

That being said, I didn't find this too funny. I guess that's because I've avoided Zelda games since Zelda 2 : )

Jack Sheehan

Oct 16, 2007
CK20XX said:
...wow. I kinda wonder if Yahtzee was still ticked off over Medal of Honor: Airborne when he made this.

Don't get me wrong and suspend my account when I say this, but this isn't a review: this is simply hateful bashing. Sure, the Zelda series seems to now be going the way of the original Mega Man series, and I agree about the shoehorning of the stylus controls, but beyond that it seems to simply be bitter for bitterness's sake. Phantom Hourglass, despite its shortcomings, is a good game that's worth anyone's time, and this video is hardly informative about the game at all, it just rips on it for the sake of entertainment.

But you know what? That's ok. People like Yahtzee are important because they expose hypocrisy and bigotry to an otherwise oblivious world. They may seem lonely, petulant, and vile, but they don't hate mankind, just mankind's excesses. Thus they arm themselves with irony, satire, sarcasm, ridicule, and march against pretense, pomposity, conformity, and incompetence. There's a fair amount of truth in what Yahtzee says after you sift through his seemingly unjustly misguided attitude.

"It is a fine thing to face machine guns for immortality and a medal, but isn't it a fine thing, too, to face calumny, injustice, and loneliness for the truth which makes men free?" - H. L. Mencken
What? He gave plenty of reasons for why he didn't like the game, thus it was a review and not 'simply hateful bashing'.

Dr. Eggman

Nov 7, 2007
Well, if your looking for a Nintendo Zelda-esq game that shakes up the formula, there's the import-only from jp/eu, [a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freshly-Picked_Tingle%27s_Rosy_Rupeeland]Freshly-Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland[/a], staring everyone's favorite Burger-King-creepiness-level faux fairy, Tingle. Apparently, unlike the US, he's huge enough in Japan to warrent his own game...

ccesarano

Oct 3, 2007
It's just like Metal Gear; Hideo Kojima said he wanted to stop making the Solid series after 2, but people kept begging for closure and hence got Solid 3, but obviously the closure wasn't enough as the fans kept begging for another installment and now you've got Solid 4, and it's obvious that Kojima is ready to put the series to an end regardless of what people think by making Snake die at the end of the title (hinted at it dozens upon dozens of times). But even then, the series might still continue since he made ANOTHER hint in a different interview that if enough people wanted it, he'd continue the series.
Sounds like what happened to DragonBall Z to me.

That game was fun, quirky, and original. But did anybody buy it? Course not because
Because 1) it wasn't advertised very well, now, was it? 2) Nintendo hasn't figured out what sort of song selection is going to attract masses of folks to a music and rhythm game.

Seriously, though, I didn't know Elite Beat was out until my friends all had it. So I would say Nintendo's marketing is a lot of the reason that failed.

I like the review but I think the arguement of Nintendo not trying anything different is fairly stupid. Considering all the new ips the have created over the last few years I dont know how you say they arnt trying create fresh games. Animal Crossing, Pikmin, Geist, Disaster, Praject Hammer, Custom Robo, Battallion Wars, just to name a few.
Firstly, aren't some of those third party? And second, a lot of those titles aren't advertised very well, such as the case with Elite Beat Agents. After all, Battalion Wars II didn't get any Preview channel. In fact, does it even have any commercials?

I decided this week I'd just keep my own opinions out of it and enjoy the latest Zero Punctuation for what it was, kind of like how I dropped all standards to enjoy Live Free or Die Hard. Unfortunately, I haven't played the game, and with a lot of his ranting I agree. Still, I think this is the best review he's done in a long time, and hopefully he'll keep it up.

Illuminatis

Oct 3, 2007
Nintendo was involved in all of those games, and in some form and own them. The point is Nintendo is the one of the most creative of the top name publishers and developers.
In any case keep up the good work with the reviews.

LordLocke

Oct 3, 2007
Surprising lack of angry comments, considering what a Sacred Cow the Zelda series is on the internet. It's like actually having a negative opinion about a title in the series is like admitting you had an awful childhood with a sex-offending uncle, although in truth there's at least one game or another in the franchise we all like to ***** about behind everyone else's back.

That said, I'll probably borrow my friend's copy of Phantom Hourglass at some point (He likes spoon-feeding everyone else Zelda to show us how awesome the series is just to sound betrayed when the rest of us don't think it's the hottest shit in town afterwards) and I'll probably finish it, although like every Zelda game since LttP, I probably will stop bothering with item hunting basically around the time I actually get the items that let me do most of the hunting and just want the game to be done already. Especially since that goddamn ocean and boat nonsense is back.

RussDCA

Nov 3, 2007
You sir, are the reason that I have registered on Escapist & found myself actually looking forward for this weeks review. Keep em coming.

FACT.50

Sep 12, 2007
But Yahtzee The Hylians clearly had Flak Towers. If you just look in any Hyrule history book, you can find pages and pages of info about them.

Arbre

Jan 13, 2007
Aramax said:
It would be fun if those reviews had subtitles or something so we can all understand what Yahtzee is saying. I have trouble fellowing what he say from time to time and it's frustrating to replay the same video over and over again just to understand a small part of the video.

Who's with me on this one?
We'd have to replay the same video over and over to read all the subtitles.

EDIT: maybe you'd like transcripts?

Asspigeon said:
I love the nod to Okami, that was a super-fantastic (and horribly underappreciated) game!
Apparently, it never sold well in Japan. It's sure that part of its appeal is the exotic context and content.

nightfish

Nov 7, 2007
CK20XX said:
...wow. I kinda wonder if Yahtzee was still ticked off over Medal of Honor: Airborne when he made this.

Don't get me wrong and suspend my account when I say this, but this isn't a review: this is simply hateful bashing. Sure, the Zelda series seems to now be going the way of the original Mega Man series, and I agree about the shoehorning of the stylus controls, but beyond that it seems to simply be bitter for bitterness's sake. Phantom Hourglass, despite its shortcomings, is a good game that's worth anyone's time, and this video is hardly informative about the game at all, it just rips on it for the sake of entertainment.

But you know what? That's ok. People like Yahtzee are important because they expose hypocrisy and bigotry to an otherwise oblivious world. They may seem lonely, petulant, and vile, but they don't hate mankind, just mankind's excesses. Thus they arm themselves with irony, satire, sarcasm, ridicule, and march against pretense, pomposity, conformity, and incompetence. There's a fair amount of truth in what Yahtzee says after you sift through his seemingly unjustly misguided attitude.

"It is a fine thing to face machine guns for immortality and a medal, but isn't it a fine thing, too, to face calumny, injustice, and loneliness for the truth which makes men free?" - H. L. Mencken
then you obviously don't know why these reviews are published

Arbre

Jan 13, 2007
nightfish said:
CK20XX said:

then you obviously don't know why these reviews are published
For the ads?