Zero Punctuation: Zelda Phantom Hourglass

Etheo

Nov 7, 2007
I love the damn game, it's so smooth and charismatic, but I can't stop laughing when the video hits play. That was one of your best rant for a long while, thank you Yahtzee. It was totally worth registering.

I'm surprised you didn't like the game though, despite your many argued-to-death points (need new IP, same story over and over) and the repeated stealth sections. It was just a blast to play through. Perhaps I'm just too much of a Zelda whore.

P.S.: Flak towers.
P.S.S.: Liverpool: 8

CK20XX

Sep 26, 2007
Hm... I must admit I am somewhat loathe to respond to comments people make about me because it makes one look like they are struggling to defend their castle from an onslaught of mighty aggressors and thus can be a severe blow to one's pomposity, but a couple things here caught my eye.

kushiague said:
CK20XX said:
... but this isn't a review: this is simply hateful bashing.
And i loved every second of it.
Exactly. I enjoy Yahtzee's work for what it is, not what it claims to be. It's always fun to watch.

Jack Sheehan said:
What? He gave plenty of reasons for why he didn't like the game...
Exactly!

Hengst2404

Aug 29, 2007
I think gamers turned a bit of a corner with Zelda last year when Twilight Princess was released. Certainly most websites immediately gave it perfect scores and cheered it as an amazing game, but sites like Gamespot actually took them a bit to task on the fact that it is always the same game. Seems like more and more gamers are agreeing with the sentiment. Not enough to stop buying the games, but at least they are aware of it and more able to give criticism to the games.

Now if only Mario would become fair game for critics....

Erathaol

Nov 7, 2007
I try to play the N64 and first two gameboy releases as far as Zelda games go. I can't really get into the new games despite the good/playful graphics. Great review though, you have some pretty good-to-great ideas about story lines for games.

Nov 7, 2007
Arbre said:
Aramax said:
It would be fun if those reviews had subtitles or something so we can all understand what Yahtzee is saying. I have trouble fellowing what he say from time to time and it's frustrating to replay the same video over and over again just to understand a small part of the video.

Who's with me on this one?
We'd have to replay the same video over and over to read all the subtitles.

EDIT: maybe you'd like transcripts?

Well..if you want to collect signs to ask dah man to publish the transcript, count me in:
even thought I guess it's not much in his mmh..style? personality? (just my guess) to give them away, that'd be freaking great!
(and i know they exists..he showed a page of that in a previous video :p)

runtheplacered

Oct 31, 2007
no idea why Yahtzee thinks you have to yell into the mic... a slight blow directly into the mic achieves the desired results. It's things like that, that make me realize these aren't reviews so much as comedic bits. Which is ok, as long as you realize that's what it is. Many people here don't seem to realize that.

Also, Nintendo is definitely one of the most creative gaming developers there are at the moment. While that may not be saying much, to put that into a review about Zelda, but not in any of his other reviews seems a tad strange. That should be more of an overall gripe, then a gripe at just Nintendo. Also, why even bring up how much money Nintendo has, as if Ubisoft or EA Games is hurtin' for cash?

Shiloa

Sep 5, 2007
Illuminatis said:
I like the review but I think the arguement of Nintendo not trying anything different is fairly stupid. Considering all the new ips the have created over the last few years I dont know how you say they arnt trying create fresh games. Animal Crossing, Pikmin, Geist, Disaster, Praject Hammer, Custom Robo, Battallion Wars, just to name a few.
=\

Fairly stupid? Yet you go and mention several average games as an example of Nintendo creating fresh titles? Some of those aren't even released yet and, hey, one of the titles is even cancelled! You've hardly done a good job of defending Nintendo's [in]ability to make original titles.
Kenkaku said:
It's just like Metal Gear; Hideo Kojima said he wanted to stop making the Solid series after 2, but people kept begging for closure and hence got Solid 3, but obviously the closure wasn't enough as the fans kept begging for another installment and now you've got Solid 4, and it's obvious that Kojima is ready to put the series to an end regardless of what people think by making Snake die at the end of the title (hinted at it dozens upon dozens of times). But even then, the series might still continue since he made ANOTHER hint in a different interview that if enough people wanted it, he'd continue the series.
I'd say it's fairly different to the state of Metal Gear. Comparing the plot of MGS and Zelda for example is like comparing Lord of the Rings to My Pet Goat. Well, maybe I'm going a bit over the top as some consider the MGS plot to be ridiculous but still, the point is that MGS is a series with a real series plot unlike Zelda which has a very simple story which is unique to each game. Metal Gear Solid has a lot of questions which have been raised over the course of the series which still haven't been answered in 3. Kojima has promised to tie up all the threads in the next game.

VMerken

Sep 12, 2007
Great review, and I am glad it's about a game which doesn't require 90 seconds of politics before one can get to the meat of the matter. And I have to agree - Nintendo's just milking it. Honestly though, I don't think they're milking it just for the heck of it. I think they truly believe in the strength of the game concept itself - the formula appears to work - and just don't want to tamper with it a lot. They're simply making it bigger and better for the next generation of the age bracket which Zelda (or Mario, or Metroid) targets. A bit like how Monopoly or Risk are "reinvented" on a regular basis. It's basically a mix of brand recognition and game archetyping. Or just like the Castlevanias since Symphony of the Night. Or the Resident Evils until number 4.

Personally, I've moved on from Zelda, Mario and Pokemon since the originals and after noticing how all the new installments didn't offer anything substantially new. I might give the new Metroid a try, though, but if it's anything like Echoes content-wise, I don't think I'll be looking into the series anymore. And pssst, Okami's coming for the Wii, so hopefully it will get the attention it truly deserves this time. Then again, the Wii is Zelda's turf, so.

Yahtzee, by the way, if you take requests ;), I'd love to see you tackle The Witcher and share with us your wisdom on how it is or isn't one of those very nice, refreshing RPGs where *gasp* your choices are not black or white but in this mysterious colour which game theorists have dubbed "grey" and has been left mostly unexplored.

The Witcher. Think about it while totally not looking at me writing flakturm =).

Redfeather

Sep 18, 2007
Flaaaaak towers.

Only annoying factor is the use of "fag" every episode lately it seems. Perhaps it's not quite the slur in merry old england that it is here in the states. Or perhaps he's been listening to too many console 'tards via voice chat.

Or he's playing WoW and is sitting in the Barrens.

symphonycometh

Oct 7, 2007
Einheit12 said:
Aramax said:
It would be fun if those reviews had subtitles or something so we can all understand what Yahtzee is saying. I have trouble fellowing what he say from time to time and it's frustrating to replay the same video over and over again just to understand a small part of the video.

Who's with me on this one?
I think they'd just be annoying. You've got to look at the animation when listening,not read subtitles.
Just watch it a few times, you'll understand everything.

I'm not even a native speaker and I understand him clearly!
Ditto. I fail to see what's so hard about understanding him. He's speaking better English than kids these days! I enjoyed Orcarina of time, but that's the only Zelda game I've played and took seriously. With that out of the way, I agree with him on every front. I find it annoying that someone says he's hatefully bashing something.

I dub it...a true statement:

-Nintendo IS relying on Mario and friends to save the day. How many original IPs are YOU looking forward to for the Wii?

-A lot of people DO defend Nintendo as if it saved them from the pits of...sand, yeah, sand. Gamespot is the perfect example.

-The Zelda series didn't do too much other than torture Ganondorf. (Orcarina of Time...Windwaker...Twilight Princess) Same villian getting the most evil stabs known to rated E games.

-The first two games to come up in a Wii argument is...you guessed it!

Super Smash Bros Brawl (AKA part III)-Mario (Don't get me wrong, I'm sooo getting this one!):p
Super Mario Galaxy!-Mario

Yay for individuality...

FelixofMars

Oct 31, 2007
He doesn't bash games, just tells it like it is. See some of the other reviews where he has been quite nice about them, see Orange Box. But to be honest if he wasn't scathing it wouldn't be funny!

The whole Zelda thing is getting old now, Ocarina will still be my favourite. Okami was a fantastic game, I started Twilight Princess and found it shallow so swapped to Okami. It is simply a better game and original!

CK20XX:
... but this isn't a review: this is simply hateful bashing.

Yerocha

Nov 3, 2007
Yes, I think that when we mention these things about Nintendo, we should bring up Star Fox Adventures more. They COULD have made an original title, but they stuck in Fox, gave him a staff and called it a Starfox game. Maybe this can explain the Gamecube.

Also, I laughed SO hard at the "dog" joke. For a sec I thought he was talking about Inuyasha and thought, "That's not right."

Nquoid

Nov 7, 2007
Whilst I would agree with several points (that freaking dungeon should go and rot in hell) the game is still superb. Sailing whilst still being a drag, is far improved over the sailing in Wind Waker and the fact they got rid of the fetch quest definately makes it better. Personally I'm a Zelda junkie and can't wait for the next game however I hope that's not for another few years.
Also Nintendo does beat it's franchises like a dead horse, (just look at this year we've had Mario, Metroid, Zelda, Pokemon, Star Fox, Advance Wars, Fire Emblem etc) but they are still able to come up with new refreshing ideas. I mean Pikmin, Animal Crossing, Elite Beat Agents, Wii+DS, Brain Training and Nintendogs are all new IPs that Nintendo has had in 00s. I'm glad that Nintendo are one of the only developers that will still take risks but also appease their fanbase. A lot of companys should take a look at what Nintendo has done right and not just copy them!!!

NoPantsMan

Oct 31, 2007
I always thought Shadows of the Colossus was a nice kick in the balls for the Zelda series after the cartoon that was windwaker, they then made twilight princess.

But I have to agree with Yatz, it's always the same platonic elements, the same order, the same weapons, the same dungeon structures, and the same bloody key quests. They've got to make a radical new change to the series, and Majora's Mask stands out as the most original they've made so far.

Voni

Sep 13, 2007
I laughed so hard at the Okami reference. Nice work!

Can we have an Okami review? Please? Maybe when it comes out on the Wii...

milocade

Nov 7, 2007
After reading the thread's on MOHA I understand why you said "Please shut up about flak towers," and I second the notion to "Please shut up about flak towers."

4C3C|24Ck

Nov 7, 2007
I remembered what Yahtzee said on his Super Paper Mario review. Nintendo should just put all their old franchises to bed... and smother them to death.

Nov 7, 2007
symphonycometh said:
Ditto. I fail to see what's so hard about understanding him. He's speaking better English than kids these days! I enjoyed Orcarina of time, but that's the only Zelda game I've played and took seriously. With that out of the way, I agree with him on every front. I find it annoying that someone says he's hatefully bashing something.
You might be failing..well I don't (Sorry, fat chance for a bit of ego)
Seriously, the problem IS the fact that he's speaking a better english...
I have no problem understanding..dunno..Heroes 100%, but it's not the fast paced talking.
It's his own vocabolary: too rich for a non native. I might be missing a few words just to see a shoe horn appearing on my screen...wtf?
Oh, and yeah..he's totally and completely hatefully bashing the game. The point is..he IS doing a review, while the issue in the post you quoted was wether he was doing that or not :p

symphonycometh said:
I dub it...a true statement:

-Nintendo IS relying on Mario and friends to save the day. How many original IPs are YOU looking forward to for the Wii?

-A lot of people DO defend Nintendo as if it saved them from the pits of...sand, yeah, sand. Gamespot is the perfect example.

-The Zelda series didn't do too much other than torture Ganondorf. (Orcarina of Time...Windwaker...Twilight Princess) Same villian getting the most evil stabs known to rated E games.

-The first two games to come up in a Wii argument is...you guessed it!

Super Smash Bros Brawl (AKA part III)-Mario (Don't get me wrong, I'm sooo getting this one!):p
Super Mario Galaxy!-Mario

Yay for individuality...
Well here I am doomed to agree with you. I am sick of eating "Mario & Co" crap, but I bought a Wii because it IS, to me, a revolution (speaking of controls - I surely don't give a damn on graphics). And it works like a charm on some game, a totally new gaming experience, while on some other games you'd literally throw your remote. But that's ok..you can blame it on the launch titles.
And I guess I'll join my 10M fellow wii owners and..hope that the best has yet to come