Zero Punctuation: ZombiU

TomLikesGuitar

Jul 6, 2010
PunkRex said:
TomLikesGuitar said:
The Wii U's controller is the stupidest think I've ever seen. People thought the Wii's controller would be "revolutionary" and the Wii was just a shovelware box. I'd give it a year before we see the same exact thing from the Wii U.

WaitWHAT said:
Stabby Joe said:
Wait, there are still people who think the British Monarch is an active political entity?
'Muricans. 'Muricans everywhere.
1. No one in America actually thinks that.

2. I'd rather be in a country where people think that a Queen should do something than be in a country that is backwards enough to still have a Queen, stupid enough to not have her do anything, and shallow enough to publicly make her and her family's affairs into pop culture... but that's just me. ;)
Ohoho, country dick waggerling is it *gets out 'Bush' portfolio*

Seriously though guy/gal, the only peeps who give it the 'God save the queen' thing anymore are proberly much akin to the 'God bless America' lot. Shes like the relative no one likes, we only really put up with her at Christmas. Shes good for coaxing tourists away from their money though.
Hey, I'm just defending an attack on America with a legit point.

America is a huge place filled with everyone from geniuses to idiots... just like every other country, but we get shit on the most, and eventually you hit a breaking point.

Hell, America is even harder to generalize about because it's got so many people and so many different ones at that.

Negatempest

May 10, 2008
Bindal said:
Negatempest said:
ZombiU WANTS you to not look on the TV for the purpose of getting in the way of your Line of Vision to increase tension.
You know how they also could have achieved the "loose sight of surrounding"-thing? BY HAVING A FREAKING GUI ON THE SCREEN BLOCKING SAID VIEW!
Yes, we as gamers want more ****/stuff on the screen. So if I get this straight. You want alot of clutter on the main screen? I'm glad for the second screen so the clutter doesn't block my field of view. And yes I have played so many games like GoW, Bayonetta, DMC, CoD where the clutter on the screen hid enemy movement and got me killed a few times. I, at the time, accepted it as the limits of a console. Now that we got a console with a second screen on the controller to free up the screen more...you complain? A clutter-free screen video game is hard to come by, and the Wii-U is helping to fix that and I couldn't be happier.

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
GoddyofAus said:
As a reformed PC gamer who couldn't give a fuck about the console wars, I really am starting to wonder if there is ANYTHING Nintendo can do to satisfy Yahtzee.
They could make games that are meant to be engaging and fun without relying on gimmicky hardware flicks and waggles that are more likely than not to take you out of the experience, like the 3D on the 3DS. It's like when a person realises that a last-gen console controller makes the game better (SSBB) then something has gone wrong.

turrel1981

Aug 15, 2012
The funniest thing is yatz thinks David camoron is running the country, well he's running it into the ground,
and why do games and films only portray Britain though the eyes of London. god forbid any visiting tourist step outside the suburbs of London and discover there's an actual civilization outside that self obsessed over rated dump.

ex275w

Mar 27, 2012
Hardcore_gamer said:
ex275w said:
Hardcore_gamer said:
Also, it appears that the Wii U is not as powerful as the PS3 even in spite of being more powerful then the Wii.

How is it even possible to release a next gen console that is less powerful then a LAST gen console?

I get the Wii not being as powerful as the PS3 or the Xbox 360 but the Wii U?

This is lame.

Yea yea graphics aren't everywhing bla blah blah and whatever.
The graphics processor unit on the Wii U is better than the one on the PS3 and Xbox 360. The processor isn't as fast though. So games like Dynasty Warriors or Dead Rising might suffer from slowdown. A game like Zelda or Mario will run at 60fps and display nice graphics since those games don't need that much processing.
http://www.tgdaily.com/games-and-entertainment-brief/62505-developer-says-wii-u-not-as-powerful-as-xbox-360-ps3

There are more articles about this, but this is the first one I could find with a simple google search.

Ashens also did a Wii U review on his channel where he played the Wii U version of Batman: AC and complained about it having a worse framerate then the PS3 and X360 versions.

I am not saying that there is some huge difference between the Wii U and the PS3/Xbox 360, but it still does appear to be there.
Well I wouldn't trust just one developer on their word, but the graphics processing unit is somewhat better, look at that Zelda demo they put last year, it looked pretty good and was the demo ran on the console, since you could change the lightning and angles and other stuff.

New technology takes time to be adopted. Games are looking better and better as developers start to understand the console. The early Xbox 360 titles barely looked any different than Xbox. Time will tell if developers can make pretty good looking games on the Wii U.

But yeah, the framerate is worse on a lot of games that were on the 360/PS3 due to the processor.
http://venturebeat.com/2012/11/29/the-wii-us-processor-and-graphics-speeds-are-slower-than-xbox-360-and-ps-3/ so developers need to focus on the GPU to get a good framerate out of the games.

As an aside I don't think the other new consoles will get much farther in graphics advancement, we already saw what a disaster concentrating on graphics this generation became. (Bloated costs, long development cycles, Final Fantasy XIII)

Arif_Sohaib

Jan 16, 2011
I didn't know Yahtzee followed cricket.
But the Australian team has won 3 world cups and England has tried several times(and lost, despite creating and introducing the game to the rest of the world). Wonder who he supports in an England vs Australia match.

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
hpriamson said:
Please tell me Yahtzee recorded this last week, and the sniper scope view is just a coincidence.
JoJo said:
Heh, interesting, even as a Nintendo fan I'm still on the fence about whether to get this console or not. I liked the part about the Queen particularly. The section at about 4.00 with the crosshair on a group of a children though; a reference to recent events in Connecticut or simply an unlucky coincidence?
It takes him something like 2 weeks to make an episode.

He's tactless for the sake of humor but he's not the sort of comedian who'd suggest raping women is funny. Nor is he the type to go for shock-jokes on RL mass-child killings.

It's just a coincidence. Like how Hollywood released the movie "The Watch" last year which was about dumb/incompetent neighborhood watch guys and which bombed because it came out after the brough-ha following the highly publicised racially charged real world killing of a Florida teen by a neighborhood watch guy.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
TomLikesGuitar said:
PunkRex said:
TomLikesGuitar said:
The Wii U's controller is the stupidest think I've ever seen. People thought the Wii's controller would be "revolutionary" and the Wii was just a shovelware box. I'd give it a year before we see the same exact thing from the Wii U.

WaitWHAT said:
Stabby Joe said:
Wait, there are still people who think the British Monarch is an active political entity?
'Muricans. 'Muricans everywhere.
1. No one in America actually thinks that.

2. I'd rather be in a country where people think that a Queen should do something than be in a country that is backwards enough to still have a Queen, stupid enough to not have her do anything, and shallow enough to publicly make her and her family's affairs into pop culture... but that's just me. ;)
Ohoho, country dick waggerling is it *gets out 'Bush' portfolio*

Seriously though guy/gal, the only peeps who give it the 'God save the queen' thing anymore are proberly much akin to the 'God bless America' lot. Shes like the relative no one likes, we only really put up with her at Christmas. Shes good for coaxing tourists away from their money though.
Hey, I'm just defending an attack on America with a legit point.

America is a huge place filled with everyone from geniuses to idiots... just like every other country, but we get shit on the most, and eventually you hit a breaking point.

Hell, America is even harder to generalize about because it's got so many people and so many different ones at that.
Well I hope it didn't seem like I was attacking you, twas not my intent and I agree that America is MASSIVE and as a result peeps from one end are very different from those on the other in terms of culture. The 'Muricans I believe my countrymen were refering to though were those who dictate a large portion of media, I proberly know a good amount of the American life style from watching their shows growing up even if it is generally based mainly around rich white areas... or New York. Were as England tends to be portrayed as either working class cockney (im a South Londener, my dad claims that theres a difference) or aloof aristocrate. Im not mad, being the bad guys more fun anyways.

jecht35

Jul 2, 2011
I don't know how anyone can think the Wii U gamepad is so heavy its actually very light and comfortable, oh Yahtzee you and your nintendo shenanigans.

Anyways back on topic hmmm it seems that Yahtzee liked this game so maybe I'll give it a try, or maybe I'll just let my brother buy it and lend it to me :p

TheSchaef

Feb 1, 2008
Oh, look, Yahtzee has a new Nintendo console and he doesn't like it. I'm soooo surprised to hear this. Maybe what would be good would be to spend 30% of the review whinging about the console, say it's time to talk about the game, and then spend 30% of that remaining time using the game to whinge about the console some more.

Yeah, I too am disappointed in that design decision to have people look down to view the contents of a box they opened, unlike the much more realistic simulation of previous games, because the normal practice for a cardboard box is that you hold it up parallel to the floor and the contents magically stay rooted in place while the box itself becomes semi-transparent so that you can see through it at the same time as you are seeing into it.

soh45400

Jun 1, 2012
Caramel Frappe said:
Azure Knight-Zeo said:
That's the problem with a "serious" zombie game like this, after you introduce them you can't really add anything new exept for more intense encounters. You can't introduce, say, fly-men once you've established this is a "conventional" zombie outbreak. This is probibly why Resident Evil made it aobut bio-weapons, to add giant snakes and lizard-men giving the game some variaty.
Exactly what I was going to say.

This game seems to be as realistic as a zombie game can get, and because there's no bio weaponry involved or say genetic mutations ... the zombies are left to be as they appeared from the start. Once you're set with weapons along with experience- you're going to tear through the game. I'm also a bit sad that the game is so short .. I figured it'd be at least 10 hours or 12, since it was to be the Wii U's spotlight game.
But Capcom's other zombie game did it without other mutants by using crazy humans. Then there is the Walking Dead game.

TheOrb

Jun 24, 2012
Three hours IS a long time to play non-stop.

The first time I did that, I couldn't walk straight for twenty minutes.

Kuomon

Nov 17, 2009
I was hoping someone had pointed this out in the comments but I guess this isn't as well known as I think it is. ZombiU is not a new IP, it is a Remake of sorts of an old computer game by the name of Zombi. As for YC's comments on the game, it seems he enjoyed it for the most part, but was disappointed with the late game.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
GoddyofAus said:
As a reformed PC gamer who couldn't give a fuck about the console wars, I really am starting to wonder if there is ANYTHING Nintendo can do to satisfy Yahtzee.
Make good hardware. Make good games. Drop pointless gimmicks (which would be part of the first two, anyway). Make the next DS have tits and be on fire.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Negatempest said:
Bindal said:
Negatempest said:
ZombiU WANTS you to not look on the TV for the purpose of getting in the way of your Line of Vision to increase tension.
You know how they also could have achieved the "loose sight of surrounding"-thing? BY HAVING A FREAKING GUI ON THE SCREEN BLOCKING SAID VIEW!
Yes, we as gamers want more ****/stuff on the screen. So if I get this straight. You want alot of clutter on the main screen? I'm glad for the second screen so the clutter doesn't block my field of view. And yes I have played so many games like GoW, Bayonetta, DMC, CoD where the clutter on the screen hid enemy movement and got me killed a few times. I, at the time, accepted it as the limits of a console. Now that we got a console with a second screen on the controller to free up the screen more...you complain? A clutter-free screen video game is hard to come by, and the Wii-U is helping to fix that and I couldn't be happier.
Ever heard "Inventory Screen"? Something that every game ever used? And nobody complained about it "blocking the screen"? In fact, it is 100% possible to keep the screen clear in normal gameplay and still have a GUI for your oh-so-wanted 'immersion by blocking Line of Vision'. Dead Space did that already! Absolutely no GUI whatsoever during gameplay UNTIL you open your inventory. Similar to a lot of other games (some had some few GUI, some had none - BUT ALL WORKED)

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
TheSchaef said:
Yeah, I too am disappointed in that design decision to have people look down to view the contents of a box they opened, unlike the much more realistic simulation of previous games, because the normal practice for a cardboard box is that you hold it up parallel to the floor and the contents magically stay rooted in place while the box itself becomes semi-transparent so that you can see through it at the same time as you are seeing into it.
Who said anything about realism? No, seriously?

I thought we were talking about functionality.

LordMonty

Badgerlord
Jul 2, 2008
They are selling slower than psvita where i work... and that is bad to be clear <.<

Price is a bit mental on the old wiiu and tbh i also hate motion touch screen meh that it is but meh who cares to much to moan about today :p enjoy it or hate it i'll stick to my pc, ps3 and yes pokemon dsi adiction(i hate the irony i never palyed this as a kid and now my ocd loves it).

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
I've said my piece on this game before, but for some reason I decided to look through the manual for it after watching this. Get this: "Dont Cheat...on your favorite gun! Guns are like condoms, see - everyone gets the biggest one they can and before you know it they've discharged all over the floor. Find one that fits and stick with it."

Um...wanting to make it clear that this is a "mature" Nintendo game, Ubisoft?