ZP lost its edge?

Mythbhavd

May 1, 2008
I don't think ZP has gone downhill at all. I just think people are bringing unrealistic ideals to the videos. Face it, he is a critic. He claims he's a critic. He criticizes games. That's his job. He doesn't review them so much as he criticizes what he doesn't like. Now, that being said, he does, in the process of taking a dump on a game, discuss game play issues, character development, plot and lack thereof, and all of the other niceties for which we look in a game.

The biggest problem, I believe, are the fans of the series. He's putting out the same level of humor he has in the past. The fans have just grown bored. Short attention spans anyone?

cuddly_tomato

Nov 12, 2008
Kanashe said:
I've noticed that people say that today's review was 'funny' and 'hilarious'. I'm sorry, but someones gone bat shit crazy. Either you guys, or me, I've wathed the entire review, four times and I haven't cracked a smile, hell not even a chuckel. I don't know when African jokes became the hip with the comedy bisnuess, but for me it's not humor. Same goes for his Tomb Raider review, his Sonic review, hell most of the reviews he did. Or maybe I stopped seeing them funny because I tried the games and know how much bullshit the guy is saying, I don't know
Are you deranged? Why did you watch it four times then? If something doesn't appeal to me, whether it's a video on youtube, a TV program, or a forum thread I switch it over.

You want to know what "batshit crazy" really is? Watching a video four times over then going onto a forum to ***** about it.

Kanashe said:
I actually liked Yahztee in the past, but when I tried the game he called shit, I realised, how wrong he was and how much he lied.
Case in point there. This is the reason we get these damn threads every Wednesday. I disagree with Yahtzee on almost every review (I believe he is way too soft to be honest), but I really don't get upset about it.

jhonka

Dec 11, 2008
I think that it's pretty too soon to say that zp has lost it's edge. The awards were full of fabulous jokes and i think it goes straight to the top 5 of all his work. TR and FC2 have been unentertaining, there have been a couple misses before(they still hit the f*ng target though). Lets hope next weeks episode has something as good as the Indiana jones in a fridge award.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
I think I agree with S Soneill: I think a lot of it has to do with the games he's been reviewing lately.

As well, he's been doing this for what, a year and a half now? Every week he has to play a game at least a little bit, before writing a review script, animating it, and recording the voiceover. He probably doesn't have much in the way of assistants either. Can you imagine the amount of work and pressure that probably entails? TV shows are usually weekly affairs, but you generally have multiple writers and other creative types sharing the burden. And how many weekly series produce a top-notch episode every week? Webcomics are sometimes more frequent, but how many of them maintain a consistent level of quality with every strip?

Curtmiester has a good point: a break might help the creative juices. Or maybe he just needs to review a game that inspires him to greater levels of snarkiness.

nathan-dts

Jun 18, 2008
Have these annoying Zero Punctuation threads finally reached thier end? Apparently not but I wish they had.

cyber druid

Jan 15, 2009
i have to say that his reviews are not really a review anymore but normally bullcrap(funny bullcrap sometimes).but think about it this way:its only video game reviews im sure u can find soemthing else do.

Kanashe

May 8, 2008
Triffid said:
Kanashe said:
I've noticed that people say that today's review was 'funny' and 'hilarious'. I'm sorry, but someones gone bat shit crazy. Either you guys, or me, I've wathed the entire review, four times and I haven't cracked a smile, hell not even a chuckel. I don't know when African jokes became the hip with the comedy bisnuess, but for me it's not humor. Same goes for his Tomb Raider review, his Sonic review, hell most of the reviews he did. Or maybe I stopped seeing them funny because I tried the games and know how much bullshit the guy is saying, I don't know
"I hated this episode so much, it wasn't funny in the slightest...That's why I watched it...four...times..."

Dude, how do you not see the absolute retardation in your thought process?
I re-watched to see if I didn't get the joke or maybe I didn't understand somethin' Jesus fuck, a guy thinks he didn' get a joke, re-watches the video and suddenly gets called a retard. Fucking amazing

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
I do have to admit that it did seem a lot funnier back when I first saw it... Maybe it was because of the games or that I hadn't seen it before or something... But, I still do watch the new ones when they come out and still enjoy it...

kmg90

Jan 21, 2009
Curtmiester said:
I think he should take a break. That way we will start to miss him and when he comes back it will better then ever, since he'll have time to make new material.
The problem is that there is too many games he hasn't reviewed yet (GOW2, Lord of the Rings Conquest)

cuddly_tomato

Nov 12, 2008
Kanashe said:
Triffid said:
Kanashe said:
"I hated this episode so much, it wasn't funny in the slightest...That's why I watched it...four...times..."

Dude, how do you not see the absolute retardation in your thought process?
I re-watched to see if I didn't get the joke or maybe I didn't understand somethin' Jesus fuck, a guy thinks he didn' get a joke, re-watches the video and suddenly gets called a retard. Fucking amazing
If you don't like a movie you don't go back to the cinema 3 more times just to make sure.

USSR

Probably your average communist.
Oct 4, 2008
MorganL4 said:
"but i seem to spend more time on here on days other than wednesday more and more, sometimes forgetting that a ZP came out until the following tuesday.

is it just me or has ZP reached the point where its " just toying with the gravel on the big road of life"
Zero Punctuation is just one of the many things to the escapist, so get used to "coming here mostly every Wednesday and getting bored eventually" and actually do a lot with the escapist. If commit yourself to one thing, of course it will get boring, but if you add variety (post A LOT, watch different Escapist shows like unskippables, unforgotten realms, etc..) things won't be so boring =p

sanzo

Jan 21, 2009
Kanashe said:
JimmyBassatti said:
Kanashe said:
Yes, yes it has. Your not the only one amigo, ZP has truly reached it's end. Let's face it, the jokes stopped being funny and became repetitive/old material but with different patterns slapped on it. Kanashe himself went from a reviewer to a simple ranting troll who has an ego the size of Germany.
I am not defending Yahtzee, he can defend himself, he's a big boy.
But your the troll if you come to this thread just to bash him.
Also, you need to learn to spell check.
I did it for you
The bold words [except for your name] are the correct spellings of each.
Also, I am not a troll.
Alright...So...I'm a troll...For calling yahtzee a troll, even tough he is one now. Alright...Fine...I'm a troll then. I actually liked Yahztee in the past, but when I tried the game he called shit, I realised, how wrong he was and how much he lied. Calling me a 'troll' just because I think the guy stopped being funny and went from a reviewer to a troll...Is kinda fanboish
You do realize that everything Yatzhee says about his game is an opinion, right? He's not lying, he's merely stating his opinion of the game. There's a difference, and if you can't get that, you should just leave the internet. Right now

Shotgun Opera

Dec 24, 2008
Johny_X2 said:
well, I still like it and the jokes often get me rolling on my carpet, but I didn;t like his sudden change of accent to the end of FC2 review without mentioning any reason.
I think he was just making fun of what he thought were poorly done accents in the game.

iain62a

Oct 9, 2008
Johny_X2 said:
well, I still like it and the jokes often get me rolling on my carpet, but I didn;t like his sudden change of accent to the end of FC2 review without mentioning any reason.
Game set in Africa - South African accent

I think we all have a case of sepia tinted memories.

"It was much better in the good old days" - etc.

I don't think the standard of humour has decreased at all.