National Guard called into Minneapolis

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
This is a good speech calling for deescalation.

Whenever someone talks about protesters attacking the cops, keep in mind what has kept deescalation impossible.

Fieldy409

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 18, 2020
Country
Australia

Whenever someone talks about protesters attacking the cops, keep in mind what has kept deescalation impossible.
Outrageous! There was absolutely no reason for that arrest!

So I did some digging and apparently he was released since and his arrest was for 'disobeying a lawful order' whatever the heck that means. Maybe not dispersing on command? I don't know.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
It is a red herring claiming that no one cared when they do, just discussing it here instead of the thread dedicated to COVID-19 would be a red herring to change the topic of what they are protesting about. Exactly as you are doing here, if you want to discuss the pandemic, we have a dedicated thread for that.
1)Why should I care about one issue MORE than the other when we should care about both issues equally?
2)I just pointed out that they were already not being protected and many at the same risk of dying here as they were before due to how they have been treated DURING the shut down. You do realize that the minority community was having a much higher exposure rate already due to being forced to work without access to PPE during the shutdown right? Many of the people out there protesting right now have been working in high risk environments this entire time unprotected because Trump refused to provide PPE to essential workers. Saying it is okay for them to be forced to do that unprotected but then not stand up for their rights, is a bit hypocritical.
3) To keep them safer, like I stated above, Trump should be providing them with PPE, he has not yet done that either yet now has he? He is willing to spend more on military action against the people to intentionally harm them rather than on providing them with PPE to keep them safe.

I agree that this will cause unnecessary pain and suffering, but instead of doing anything to make it stop sooner or help keep people safer, they have yet to:
1) Arrest all 4 officers responsible for Floyd's death.
2) Have Trump declare a national emergency on racism.
3) Trump promising to dedicate more resources to deescalation retraining police across the nation, using violence as a last resort rather than the go to action.
4) Provide the general public with PPE
5) Increased vetting and transparency on Police hiring and disciplinary records stopping the cycle of keeping bad cops in power to cause harm.

If these things haven't been done yet, then the government is still not doing what is required of them to make this end faster or keep people safe.
You assume the police are the source of the issue when their actions are a symptom of another issue. We already have training programs for police officers for this kind of thing and it makes no difference so perhaps look elsewhere for your solutions to the larger problem rather than continuing slamming your head against a wall? Or if you wish to continue down your train of logic then get rid of the police system that you believe to be inherently racist and unchangeable and either have the central government police everyone (I'm sure you'd LOVE that with Trump being president) or allow criminals and right wing gun owners to become the defacto law since they have the means to enforce it.

Smug self-satisfaction, I would imagine.
If someone says something inconvenient then paint them in a negative light so they hopefully go away?

lil devils x

🐐More Lego Goats Please!🐐
Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
You assume the police are the source of the issue when their actions are a symptom of another issue. We already have training programs for police officers for this kind of thing and it makes no difference so perhaps look elsewhere for your solutions to the larger problem rather than continuing slamming your head against a wall? Or if you wish to continue down your train of logic then get rid of the police system that you believe to be inherently racist and unchangeable and either have the central government police everyone (I'm sure you'd LOVE that with Trump being president) or allow criminals and right wing gun owners to become the defacto law since they have the means to enforce it.

If someone says something inconvenient then paint them in a negative light so they hopefully go away?
Continuing my train of logic gets us to reform, not dissolution:
We have yet to do what is necessary. The problems DO lie with our policing and the organizations that empower and enable abuse. This can be resolved, and the idea that vigilantes should be involved is inane, the entire us vs them mindset and failure to treat all of your community with respect is what adds to the abuse, not solves it.Paint who with a negative light? The agitators and those escalating the violence? Of course they should paint them with a negative light, they are the problem, not the solution. We have to remove the racists, bullies and predators from the police force. I never said it was unchangeable. It most certainly is changeable and I know exactly what needs to change here.

Last edited:

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐

And we see this over and over and over again. Then they wonder why police are being treated so unfairly. Respect should not work only one way here and that seems to be what police expect to happen.

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
6 Atlanta Officers Charged After Students Pulled From Car
Six Atlanta police officers have been charged after a dramatic video showed authorities pulling two young people from a car during protests over the death of George Floyd.

Two college students go to get something to eat so these officers break their windows, break their bones, and DO EXACTLY what they are protesting about. Maybe the protests will bring out the worst of the worst in the officers so we can get those who needed to be charged charged here and off the force all together if they keep pulling this sort of BS.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
And we see this over and over and over again. Then they wonder why police are being treated so unfairly. Respect should not work only one way here and that seems to be what police expect to happen.
Well generally in the past it kinda works, they were able to control the narrative better and be more of a stabilizing force against anarchy. But now that everyone has cameras and the cops seem to have much worse impulse control, we are seeing what before could have been swept under the rug. It will be interesting to see what happens with all this, might be a lot of cops fired pretty soon, might not, depends on which side is able to be seen as more sympathetic, but it really does look like the cops aren't doing themselves any favors outside of a few that seem to be good dudes.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Well generally in the past it kinda works, they were able to control the narrative better and be more of a stabilizing force against anarchy. But now that everyone has cameras and the cops seem to have much worse impulse control, we are seeing what before could have been swept under the rug. It will be interesting to see what happens with all this, might be a lot of cops fired pretty soon, might not, depends on which side is able to be seen as more sympathetic, but it really does look like the cops aren't doing themselves any favors outside of a few that seem to be good dudes.
Nothing good comes from this. Protests continue to escalate, Trump calls more and more of the military to deal with it, deaths start to pile up, November comes and Trump declares a national emergency and postpones the election until he decides its safe for him to leave office(guess when that is)

Remember what's going on is exactly what the GOP and right-wing want. They want a race war because they have more guns. They want rioters to attack cops so they can deploy the army. They want cops shooting people in their own homes. They want journalists blinded and cameras broken. As far as the Right is concerned the US has never been better.

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
If they keep pulling the BS they did on those students in Atlanta, they will take care of the problem faster for us by having the officers causing the problems getting themselves arrested because they are all hyped up right now.

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
Nothing good comes from this. Protests continue to escalate, Trump calls more and more of the military to deal with it, deaths start to pile up, November comes and Trump declares a national emergency and postpones the election until he decides its safe for him to leave office(guess when that is)

Remember what's going on is exactly what the GOP and right-wing want. They want a race war because they have more guns. They want rioters to attack cops so they can deploy the army. They want cops shooting people in their own homes. They want journalists blinded and cameras broken. As far as the Right is concerned the US has never been better.
The GOP wants pastors tear gassed on live TV? They want Trumps incompetence showcased for the world to see? They want religious leaders angry at Trump for using their lord's bible in vain like that? I don't think the GOP wants any of this right now. Recalling that the it was the GOP who claimed Obama was going to declare martial law and use the military against his own people, and then turned around and elected someone who would do exactly that. I am not convinced Trump would be stupid enough to try and do away with the election, and see that as absurd at this point, nor if he had tried would anyone comply. That is not something he can do with executive order, and would not be supported by the law, he would more likely then be arrested himself if he tried such a move instead. Of course we have fringe that would support a race war, but that would cost the Republicans the majority they need to win any election.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009

Something good can come from anything, it might not be worth the cost but it can easily happen. But Trump will try and do what he can but hes actually pretty limited here, like he literally cannot postpone the election. Unless he tries going above and beyond the law, which he might, but then it comes down to who else in power is willing to let him destroy the constitution blatantly. So I would put that as pretty unlikely.

I'm unconvinced, the right only wants this if they can control the narrative, which as I said before, they appear to be having a really hard time doing. Normally this much attention to cops behaving badly wouldn't be so out in the open, but it seems to be making headlines as much as anything the looters do. It is telling how aggressive the cops are being when they were downright timid during the protests against the covid lockdown.

If they keep pulling the BS they did on those students in Atlanta, they will take care of the problem faster for us by having the officers causing the problems getting themselves arrested because they are all hyped up right now.
Yeah, entirely possible, we might end up seeing multiple police precincts having to fire all their officers.

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
Something good can come from anything, it might not be worth the cost but it can easily happen. But Trump will try and do what he can but hes actually pretty limited here, like he literally cannot postpone the election. Unless he tries going above and beyond the law, which he might, but then it comes down to who else in power is willing to let him destroy the constitution blatantly. So I would put that as pretty unlikely.

I'm unconvinced, the right only wants this if they can control the narrative, which as I said before, they appear to be having a really hard time doing. Normally this much attention to cops behaving badly wouldn't be so out in the open, but it seems to be making headlines as much as anything the looters do. It is telling how aggressive the cops are being when they were downright timid during the protests against the covid lockdown.

Yeah, entirely possible, we might end up seeing multiple police precincts having to fire all their officers.
I was seeing that firing entire departments already needed to be done, and if this makes it happen faster without the fight they would have otherwise had to endure, that is a good thing. It makes it easier to train people appropriately when they don't have the " old baggage" of "this is how I do things" complicating their ability to implement the necessary changes. Retraining officers " set in their ways" has always proven more difficult than training them from the start the way they needed to be trained in the first place.

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
The GOP wants pastors tear gassed on live TV? They want Trumps incompetence showcased for the world to see? They want religious leaders angry at Trump for using their lord's bible in vain like that? I don't think the GOP wants any of this right now. Recalling that the it was the GOP who claimed Obama was going to declare martial law and use the military against his own people, and then turned around and elected someone who would do exactly that. I am not convinced Trump would be stupid enough to try and do away with the election, and see that as absurd at this point, nor if he had tried would anyone comply. That is not something he can do with executive order, and would not be supported by the law, he would more likely then be arrested himself if he tried such a move instead. Of course we have fringe that would support a race war, but that would cost the Republicans the majority they need to win any election.

Whose gonna arrest him? The police? Yeah they seem like real friendly law/order people who follow the rules and aren't in this for make-believe war.
And yes the GOP wants all of this because it feeds the narrative - Democrats can't be allowed in office. And his followers don't see Trump as week, they see him as brave. They don't care if a pastor is bear-maced because he was in the way of the President.
These aren't people who see the nation burning as a bad thing. They see that finally the darkies and libtards are being put in their place. They're angry at the cops yes, but for pussing out and using rubber bullets. They love the idea of Trump saying when the looting starts, the shooting starts. The GOP is really hoping Democrats give them a reason to unleash the police on them. They really do want a civil war.

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
Whose gonna arrest him? The police? Yeah they seem like real friendly law/order people who follow the rules and aren't in this for make-believe war.
And yes the GOP wants all of this because it feeds the narrative - Democrats can't be allowed in office. And his followers don't see Trump as week, they see him as brave. They don't care if a pastor is bear-maced because he was in the way of the President.
These aren't people who see the nation burning as a bad thing. They see that finally the darkies and libtards are being put in their place. They're angry at the cops yes, but for pussing out and using rubber bullets. They love the idea of Trump saying when the looting starts, the shooting starts. The GOP is really hoping Democrats give them a reason to unleash the police on them. They really do want a civil war.
Technically, the House of Representatives or the Senate could have Trump's entire administration arrested if he was in contempt of congress, which would likely be the first course of action if Trump tried to eliminate the election. The Sergeant of Arms is who would be responsible for doing so, and considering the Sergeant of Arms is the highest ranking law enforcement position attainable, subordinates would be forced to comply or resign.

Not to mention trump has already burned a good number of bridges in his military and forcing them to choose between upholding the constitution or the president, they will choose the constitution if he is in opposition of congress.

Reactions: CaitSeith

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
This is your resident Republican speaking: no. Just no. The right-wing does not want a war between police and civilians. The police would lose that war, and there'd be no law and order. Republicans like law and order if that takes some policing, but if the police can to do literally nothing and reach that end, that's even better. Please no race wars.

Edit: and this particular Republican also likes Law and Order, particularly if Ice T is involved.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
What a mess. The divisions in U.S. society seems insurmountable at this point. I think if the tide isn't turned it risks falling apart. You'd expect atleast the president to try and reconcile not fan the flames even further. All this resentment and hate. Where is the peace dove?

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Was this meant to prove me wrong? "I'm not smug and self-satisfied! You're all just intimidated by my brave truth-telling!"
You've still not provided anything of actual merit other than to sling mud. Lil claimed that the corona virus was irrelevant yet Obsidian pointed out a clear argument that it is exactly BECAUSE of the virus that the people have been backed into a corner and now feel the need to do something. I said I saw the logic in what he said yet you continue to act as if this did not occur.

Continuing my train of logic gets us to reform, not dissolution:
We have yet to do what is necessary. The problems DO lie with our policing and the organizations that empower and enable abuse. This can be resolved, and the idea that vigilantes should be involved is inane, the entire us vs them mindset and failure to treat all of your community with respect is what adds to the abuse, not solves it.Paint who with a negative light? The agitators and those escalating the violence? Of course they should paint them with a negative light, they are the problem, not the solution. We have to remove the racists, bullies and predators from the police force. I never said it was unchangeable. It most certainly is changeable and I know exactly what needs to change here.
The police are not in fact the problem but a symptom of the problem. In order to deal with the issue, the actual economic reasons for why these communities are poor, and thus more prone to have crime, and thus the major areas the police must interact with when dealing with crime, is the thing that must be addressed. We cannot turn back the clock to the end of the Civil War and change how poorly it was handled in regards to integrating the now freed black people into society so endlessly pointing this out ad nauseam without actually making meaningful action is pointless. Either the people in these extremely poor areas need to be moved somewhere where they actually have the means to better their situation with the aid given or whatever is in these neighborhoods that could be turned into a method of improving their lives needs to be found. Just handing these poor neighborhoods housing, money, or food without also creating something long term does not work, we've been trying it for years with no success which means a new solution must be taken as apposed to having them be little more than serfs clinging to the small handouts given by the government.

While I don't know if I agree with it, I did see a suggestion that the legalization of drugs that are peddled in high crime areas would lead to less crime similar to how the repealing of Prohibition reduced criminal activities to distribute it.

Last edited:

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
This is your resident Republican speaking: no. Just no. The right-wing does not want a war between police and civilians. The police would lose that war, and there'd be no law and order. Republicans like law and order if that takes some policing, but if the police can to do literally nothing and reach that end, that's even better. Please no race wars.

Edit: and this particular Republican also likes Law and Order, particularly if Ice T is involved.
Well then you're simply not a Republican, you're just conservative. Republicans and the GOP are the cult of Trump, and have been for years.
And I find it hard to believe Republicans want law and order when the President and his administration is breaking laws left and right and center and up and down and the GOP just shrug their shoulders.
Where was the law/order Republicans when kids where put in cages? In keeping the Trump company run by the Trumps? In the Ukrainian Aid mess? When Trump was impeached and the GOP laughed when they voted to deny witnesses?
No the Republicans have long since bowed to the only law they want - might makes right.

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
You've still not provided anything of actual merit other than to sling mud. Lil claimed that the corona virus was irrelevant yet Obsidian pointed out a clear argument that it is exactly BECAUSE of the virus that the people have been backed into a corner and now feel the need to do something. I said I saw the logic in what he said yet you continue to act as if this did not occur.

The police are not in fact the problem but a symptom of the problem. In order to deal with the issue, the actual economic reasons for why these communities are poor, and thus more prone to have crime, and thus the major areas the police must interact with when dealing with crime, is the thing that must be addressed. We cannot turn back the clock to the end of the Civil War and change how poorly it was handled in regards to integrating the now freed black people into society so endlessly pointing this out ad nauseam without actually making meaningful action is pointless. Either the people in these extremely poor areas need to be moved somewhere where they actually have the means to better their situation with the aid given or whatever is in these neighborhoods that could be turned into a method of improving their lives needs to be found. Just handing these poor neighborhoods housing, money, or food without also creating something long term does not work, we've been trying it for years with no success which means a new solution must be taken.

While I don't know if I agree with it, I did see a suggestion that the legalization of drugs that are peddled in high crime areas would lead to less crime similar to how the repealing of Prohibition reduced criminal activities to distribute it.
Racism, classism, entitlement, arrogance, yea many causes here, but you have to start addressing the symptoms before you can get to the heart of the problem. Since we cannot stop " GREED" or " HATRED" in general, we can alt least stop people from obtaining positions in society where they can use their positions to inflict harm upon members of society. Even if we elimiated poverty in the US, we would STILL have to contend with groups like the KKK and Identity Evropa infiltrating our law enforcement, military and immigration departments in order to cause harm and carry out their agenda. This is a long known and widespread problem that we have not properly addressed at all here.

In order to have impact immediately, we have to start with removing the tentacles of racism in our law enforcement, immigration and military. I am not saying that is all that needs to be done here, not at all, but this is the first thing we have to do immediately to at least give us that release valve while simultaneously focusing on deescalation training and weeding out aggressive cops. I know the police Unions will hate every aspect of that, and they will have to get a " deal with it" at this point, and honestly, we need to have a policy that fires an officer for covering their badge numbers or turning off cameras as some police unions have done. The blue wall needs to come down in order to have the needed reform, whether they like it or not. if they don't like it, they can either comply or lose their jobs. The policies they are trying to protect are the same policies that are endangering both the officers and the community they are supposed to protect. We have to address the criminals in the police force before we can restore trust between the police and the people.

Status
Not open for further replies.