National Guard called into Minneapolis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Surprise, it’s all bullshit. They just want to torture protesters.
Also retweeted by the same twitter account you just sourced was this

Which mentions Anarchists and militia extremists.
So not AntiFA themselves but other Black Block member groups it would seem too.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Fine so everyone here is going to be fine if I just start pulling out these nice stats on Climate change and talking about all that here and not about the actual topic at all right?

I mean it's not like you're hear for a specific topic right?
...I would absolutely love to know how me talking about protests in the thread about protests is me going off topic and not talking about protests

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
...I would absolutely love to know how me talking about protests in the thread about protests is me going off topic and not talking about protests
it's not but apparently talking about Sportsball in Sportsball isn't something people should expect and a topic that should be stuck to.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
"Some"

So next time there's a Mass shooter do we just wait for them to run out of ammo?

Get robbed, have people act without consequence. Have no Swat teams to tackle active shooter situations. Have no-one to break up criminal gang brawls. How no-one to turn to if being extorted.
Being generous, that's maybe 1% of what police do. And it doesn't need to be police that do that.

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
That none of it will likely affect me doesn't mean it doesn't matter to me.

I'll likely be dead before the worst impact of Climate change hits, doesn't mean that doesn't bother me
I doubt you care about that either if that’s how you frame it.

Revnak

Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
Also retweeted by the same twitter account you just sourced was this

Which mentions Anarchists and militia extremists.
So not AntiFA themselves but other Black Block member groups it would seem too.
I am not going to trust publicly released info from the DHS until they stop lying to expand their own powers.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
These are leaked documents not public releases
Are you saying that the FBI wouldn't intentionally "leak" a document so that it finds its way into the hands of those who would spread it for them, while the FBI could retain plausible deniability?

Have you never seen a movie where the villain is the some corrupt government official or CEO? This is like basic trickster stuff they teach you in your first year of evil school.

It doesn't matter if they shout it from the rooftops or "accidentally leak" it out into the wild. The FBI has lied before in order to destabilize the civil rights movement.

Revnak

Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
Are you saying that the FBI wouldn't intentionally "leak" a document so that it finds its way into the hands of those who would spread it for them, while the FBI could retain plausible deniability?

Have you never seen a movie where the villain is the some corrupt government official or CEO? This is like basic trickster stuff they teach you in your first year of evil school.
I’ll grant you that but I trust it more than anything they or any other security agency say publicly.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
I doubt you care about that either if that’s how you frame it.
Funny so you're making rather wild assumptions about what I care about entirely based on phrasing but don't see the issue with phrasing in the present situation?
You know the thing I commented on and you than argued even talking about it meant I didn't care about it?

So I guess as you're making wild assumptions based on how I'm framing stuff you don't care about that stuff right?
Did you mean to include the tweet showing cops kneeling or in some cases joining in the marches with protesters?

Being generous, that's maybe 1% of what police do. And it doesn't need to be police that do that.

As you wish me to point out the issues in the article

The article said:
How do you mesh the idea of police abolition with the need to address serious public safety threats like murder or aggravated assault (when those crimes are committed by the general public)?
What abolitionists say is, Well, let’s figure out why they’re doing this and try to develop concrete prevention strategies.
And some people are just nuts and not psychologically stable. Some people "Snap" so to speak and lose control.

Minority report shows the issues with the idea of pre-crime and I don't think Profiling systems would go down too well either, or exploding brain chips.

the article said:
What if instead, we had a system in place where when a young person thinks their friend might do something awful, can go and talk to a responsible adult without worrying that the police will get involved, that they will have ratted on their friend to the police, or that their friend will get expelled from school because of some zero tolerance policy?
A number of School Shooters have been loners. The Columbine shooters best friends were one another. Elliot Rodgers spree wasn't known about beforehand even if people thought he was weird.

The only way to work a system and catch then would be to know the info would would require full total surveillance systems, which brings up invasion of privacy concerns.

the article said:
the idea of community control of the police
Which is great for criminal communities if they get control. In the UK we have issues with "County lines crimes" where games operate across the lines of different forces relying on information not being shared between the forces even when they're all part of the UK police network as such. That's with police who aren't corrupt as such. It would be easy to create criminal havens with community policing where the Police refuse to act and then what is the neighbouring community means to invade to have to deal with the issue?

It may have worked in the Black Panthers case because they had a code but then they also are a larger organisation not truly just a local community group.

the article said:
Thing about drug habits
Some people just like drugs

The article said:
How would things change for the white people who reflexively rely on and trust the police—the Amy Coopers of the world?
They won’t have this resource that they can weaponize against people. They’ll have to figure out other ways of resolving their problems.
Ah so guns then, cause that's a way it was dealt with in the old Western times without proper police.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
On the subject of phrasing and framing, my pet peeve of the day is the word "but". You watch the news, and you get any number of people saying "I support the protesters BUT I condemn rioting." Then you check online and get people saying "I'm against violence BUT I support the protesters." Both ways you say it, it implies one of those things opposes the other, as though someone shouldn't be expected to have both those opinions.

It's like everyone woke up and forgot the word "and" exists. "I support the protesters and I condemn the rioting." It's not that hard.

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
On the subject of phrasing and framing, my pet peeve of the day is the word "but". You watch the news, and you get any number of people saying "I support the protesters BUT I condemn rioting." Then you check online and get people saying "I'm against violence BUT I support the protesters." Both ways you say it, it implies one of those things opposes the other, as though someone shouldn't be expected to have both those opinions.

It's like everyone woke up and forgot the word "and" exists. "I support the protesters and I condemn the rioting." It's not that hard.
This is a wonderful point.

When we do use the word "but" in these circumstances, what we're doing is equating the two to be one and the same. In essence, the need to differentiate means there's something to differentiate from, when it isn't the case. The Protests are the Protests. The Riots are the Riots. I am for the Protest and I am against the riots.

lil devils x

🐐More Lego Goats Please!🐐
Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
You are welcome to join me in real reality anytime you want to.
Are you seriously trying to say ANYTHING I stated above is not true? Have you looked at the timeline? Pretending this isn't happening doesn't make it go away here. Just WOW. You completely ignore everything that happened and then pretend it didn't. Lovely.
Trump putting his son in charge of procuring PPE for first responders was some how " fine". SImply amazing. If you tweet Trump you can get a $69 million contract for ventilators too!

That was fine? What expertise did Kushner have to procure the necessary equipment needed for the front lines? All the healthcare workers pleading for PPE that didn't arrive were not real? Trump saying healthcare workers were stealing PPE was "FINE"? I have no idea how you could possibly convince yourself that ANY of his handling was fine here. Let's just hire son in laws with no experience to treat patients too eh? Pass out hydroxychloroquine and disinfectant to everyone and everything will be just "Fine". Just ignore the 100,000+ and counting dead Americans.. it is " Fine".

Last edited:

lil devils x

🐐More Lego Goats Please!🐐
Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
This is a wonderful point.

When we do use the word "but" in these circumstances, what we're doing is equating the two to be one and the same. In essence, the need to differentiate means there's something to differentiate from, when it isn't the case. The Protests are the Protests. The Riots are the Riots. I am for the Protest and I am against the riots.
It should be pointed out however, that without the riots, it is likely the protests would be ignored as usual. Hell much of the time riots are ignored too, they have to have an awfully lot of them to even be worth paying attention to now or something as those who choose to turn a blind eye have gotten really good at turning a blind eye these days. 100,000+ dead Americans? That's " Fine." Military used against American citizens, "That's Fine." Tear gassing pastors? "That's Fine." Shooting business owners in their own business? " That's Fine." Those who want to turn a blind eye will do so for anything these days. Don't even get me started on those who claim this is all "God's will".

Last edited:
Reactions: MrCalavera

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
Oddly I borrowed the argument from Moviebob hence I linked the related video to point out the argument.
What does this actually have to do with anything? Like I want an answer because it sounds like some kind of absurd thing where you just assumed I like movie bob or something so you think that citing him means something. Citing someone saying something dumb doesn't somehow shield you from the criticism for using the same argument.

Are people not allowed escapism? Or is escapism from the real world [current year] politics of things only acceptable if you find the reality of situations objectionable and the media portrays the situation without the objectionable reality?
Is good faith something you hate that much? When will you stop beating your wife?

Revnak

Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
It is not the protesters that are violent, it’s the police.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Are you seriously trying to say ANYTHING I stated above is not true?
I'm accepting you said at least one thing true. We're seeing different realities.
It should be pointed out however, that without the riots, it is likely the protests would be ignored as usual.
This, however, is not true. George Floyd's death dominated the public conscience before the first protest. The protest dominated the public conscience before the looting started. Hell, freaking Kaepernik taking a knee rocked the nation. What reality do you live in where protests are "ignored as usual"?

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
What does this actually have to do with anything? Like I want an answer because it sounds like some kind of absurd thing where you just assumed I like movie bob or something so you think that citing him means something. Citing someone saying something dumb doesn't somehow shield you from the criticism for using the same argument.
So it's dumb for media not to always reflect the grim [current year] politics as they are and anything related to them?

So

Star Trek the Next Generation Bad, Picard Good ?

Should people not be allowed their escapism?

Where do you draw the line on what politics should be present always in said escapism if you believe that it's necessary to constantly have it present?

Is good faith something you hate that much? When will you stop beating your wife?
Well she's your wife, at least until the divorce comes through and she's into BDSM so likelyif she says the safe word.
But enough of me being silly with nonsense like that.

You're arguing about good faith but wouldn't trying to bring political topics into areas where there haven't been one and people go to retreat from them itself be an act of badfaith toward the perceived audience of said things working from the presumption they don't care and need to be made to care or are too ignorant to know about things so much have it placed into such locations or they wouldn't engage with it?

Status
Not open for further replies.