Conflict between Palestine and Israel escalates

Generals

Elite Member
May 19, 2020
The appeal to ridicule works better if you can actually explain what makes something funny. Unfortunately, it's been proven that if you want to be funny, conservatism is a handicap.
Since when is not being totally dilusional being conservative?

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
Do you now have to agree with every single stupid claim from the far left not to be "conservative"?
This is your 3rd attempt at the same punchline in a thread about people being displaced and blown up by a hostile government. I think you've made my point for me. Good day.

Generals

Elite Member
May 19, 2020
This is your 3rd attempt at the same punchline in a thread about people being displaced and blown up by a hostile government. I think you've made my point for me. Good day.
Still confused how that would make me a conservative? And coming from "punchline"-guy I find this highly Ironic.

Generals

Elite Member
May 19, 2020
At this point it's pretty much impossible for Israel to make a trade-off for occupied land in Gaza, Westbank, the status of Jerusalem and the refugee problem that would be acceptable to Palestinians. What 'should be' and what is actual reality lies so far apart that the window of opportunity for a two state solution has closed. I see it only deteriorating further from here with increasingly violent incursions, terrorist attacks, Jewish/Arab unrest in Israel itself and the Palestinian government corrupted as it becomes even more the donor state of Arab regimes that want to destroy Israel and have an active interest in perpetuating the conflict.

I think the last opportunity for any kind of peaceful co-existence went out the window when the Ayalon-Nusseibeh plan fell through. It's a shame too though, as I think ultimately the dealbreaker was Jerusalem. People with orthodox religions just can't make concessions and without concessions you can't have peace.

The problem is that the annexations have gone too deep. And realistically any workable two-state solution would require a lot of concessions from Israel. Which it is never going to accept. Especially not with someone like Netanyahu ruling Israel. The only possible solution would be a federalised one state solution with full citizenship rights being given to the Palestinians. But that's probably also not an option for demographic reasons and how this could impact Israel's political landscape. In essence the twenty years during which the situation just kept on rotting while no one tried to actually reach a peaceful two state solution has lead to a point of no return.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Israel doesn't want a "trade-off". It wants domination over all of the land west of the River Jordan.

The failure of the Oslo accords and subsequent intifada was perhaps a seminal moment, in that it drove Israelis to incerasingly believe peace could not be achieved, and the only thing left to do was militarily control and crush the Palestinians into the dirt. The manifestation of this is the ever-ongoing prime ministership of Netanyahu, coupled with the ever-increasing strength of hardline religious and Zionist / pro-settler groups.

That might not go on forever. But what would stop it? Israel's all but "won" already. All the time it claims more and more (land, political acceptance, etc.), none of which ever gets rolled back, and less and less of which it would have to get back in a peace settlement. Israel has a clear and viable path forwards to take everything it wants: carry on doing what it's doing. It may take another century or two, but it will get there.

What could motivate it back to a negotiating table? Two things: either the Palestinians agree to give Israel de facto control of everything that really matters (the river Jordan, border control, its foreign policy, etc. to become a few splodges of vassal state in the middle of an Israeli state), or a major player like the USA or EU sanctions the shit out of Israel to drive it to the negotiating table and offer major concessions. And we all know the latter won't happen.

You take the latest stuff. We've been through this how many times? Israel bombs and invades Palestinian territory, kills dozens-hundreds of Palestinians, everyone in the international community tuts for a few weeks, there may be a UN resolution the US vetoes if it's anything other than totally toothless, and Israel goes back to doing what it wants with precisely zero significant repercussions. And maybe it'll bomb Lebanon, Syria and anything else it pleases for lols too, with equally zero repercussions.
The countries you mention are Iranian proxies so they aren't exactly bombed for the lols. Hezbollah in particular is constantly firing missiles into civilian areas. Israel can hardly let such aggression be ignored. The Persians/shia muslims most likely hate the jews even more than the Arabs. That hardliners such as Netanyahu have now taken control also hasn't come out of thin air or as some sort of desire to 'crush Palestinians'. Rather it's also the result that more moderate leaders like Ehud Barak and Ehud Olmert have tried to find a workable two state solution that the Palestinians also continuously tried to sabotage with non-stop suicide attacks against Israeli civilians, children included.

The Israel/Palestine conflict have arrived at the point of no return but this definitely wasn't the case two, three decades ago. And the blame for that can definitely not be put all on Israel.

Reactions: Hawki

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Nah mate, the far left absurdity is just reaching new highs on this forum. This thread has become even more stupid than the one about the election being stolen.
Genocide... The topic can't get any more ridiculous than that.
So.. I'm gathering the Trail of Tears is not seen as a genocidal act by you?

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
I have a question. Can any one tell me what the GOP is so offended about by Biden's full throated support of Israel. They keep saying he's not doing enough, but aren't clear on what they want. He's already praising Israelis killing Palestinians

Are they pushing for Biden to invade Gaza etc? Completely tear up any peace process? Say that a Palestinian state will never be a thing? (Or is it just an SocDem thing because they have an opinion?)

Like, I can't even imagine Trump saying those things

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia

While I'm well aware that the topic of Israel-Palestine is a hot potato I believe we might be seeing some sort of prelude to the beginning of the end of the conflict, or at least another invasion of Gaza.
More the latter.

I'm not going to pretend that I understand this conflict...like...at all. It is absolutely one of my blind spots politically (like most foreign affairs as I find thinking about our own shittastic shit to deal with depressing enough, let alone have to deal with other countries shittastic shit) but...

I don't see how any country can bomb the shit out of apartment buildings (allegedly using White Phosphorus) and then be convinced "Those are the good guys".
Israel aren't saints, but here's the facts as they stand:

-The Iron Dome can intercept about 80% of Hamas's rockets. The other 20% have to land somewhere, and that somewhere covers the entirety of Israel.

-Hamas uses civilians as human shields. As in, it specifically sets up rocket batteries near or on civilian structures, and prevents those civilians from leaving.

Hypothetically, yes, Israel could simply not carry out retaliatory air strikes, but the alternative is to live under a constant missile barrage (or, specifically, in underground bunkers).

The point of any victory is to sustain the victory. Even if you win today you might be drowned by sanctions making your newfound freedom entirely unsustainable. I'm largely concerned by the fact that the armed forces in Palestine are hurting their own chances of gaining sovereignty by choosing the wrong targets.
Hamas isn't interested in sovereignty. Its goal is to create an Islamic state over the region.

Hamas is to Israel what ISIS was to Iraq. Fatah is another story.

Imagine if Hamas started using Israel's excuses. "Yes, we bombed civilians, but only because the cowardly Israeli military keeps hiding behind them!"
That isn't an argument in favour of Hamas.

Hamas not only uses civilians as human shields, it outright murders them.

Couldn't they have established Israel in like, a remote area of Russia or something? It's been non-stop conflict since it's inception. Not to say Israel hasn't been in the wrong many times with land annexations and disproportionate military retributions but the middle-east in general is a shithole. Maybe it's their religion, culture, the heat or whatever but it's impossible for them to peacefully co-exist. Israel is not wrong with the assumption that they only understand the iron fist. The Arabs absolutely will destroy Israel if they have the chance and they also have the 'advantage' of being a demographic time bomb. Speaking of Arabs, the finger pointing is always at Israel but no Arab country(their supposed 'brethren') want the Palestinians either. Not Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Qatar etc. Anyone who thinks the Palestinian territories will become a peaceful, prosperous and human rights abiding nation with Israel gone lives in cuckoo land.
I've seen the Russia thing thrown around, it's a misreading of history. There's an idea that Israel was specifically created as recompense for the Holocaust, but there was already conflict in the region beforehand.

Basically, the situation is this:

-Jews are scattered by the Romans.

-Arabs move in/conquer the region.

-Ottoman Empire forms, along the way, the idea of a Palestinian identity forms (note: this isnt' the same as there being a country or nation of Palestine, simply a group of people considering them as Palestinian - basically like the Kurds having a distinct identity, but not having a nation-state, but rather living in them).

-19th century comes, Zionism begins to form, where Jews in Europe begin moving to their historic homeland. At the same time, Arabs move into the region. Tensions begin to spring up between the Jews and the Arabs/Palestinians.

-WWI occurs, Ottoman Empire collapses. Area becomes British Mandated Palestine.

-Violence gets worse between Jews and Palestinians, as both want the land.

-UN partition plan occurs, dividing Mandated Palestine into two states - Israel, and Palestine. Israel accepts the terms of the agreement, Palestine doesn't.

-Surrounding Arab countries launch a war against Israel (note: this is literally a war of extermination). 1947 war occurs, namely what Palestine calls the "Nakba." In the process, Palestinians are either expelled from Israeli territory, others voluntarily leave. At the same time, Jews in Palestinian territory are similarly expelled or flee. 1947 war ends with Israel the victor, and having expaned beyond its boundaries.

-Dual refugee crisis. Palestinians who fled Israel are denied the right of return, while Arab countries refuse to give Palestinians citizenship. Similarly, Arab countries carry out ethnic cleansing of their Jewish populations. Some Jews voluntarily leave, others are forced out. The result is that the no. of Palestinians expelled in the Nakba, and the number of Jews expelled from Arab countries, is roughly the same. More Jews immigrate to Israel. Its population swells, while Judaism is erradicated from the Middle East.

-Violence continues in and around Israel, as surrounding Arab countries refuse to recognise it.

I could go on, but point is, creating a Jewish state somewhere else wouldn't have solved the problem. Or, rather, it might have, if we assume that the Jews would have been driven out of their homeland (again). By all means, condemn Jewish settlements, but the violence didn't start in 1947, nor did it end.

or emigrate (to other Arab countries) if they want to thrive.
The surrounding Arab countries have refused to give Palestinians citizenship, so how would they thrive?

oh ffs

Even if we accept this hasbara as per se true with respect to Palestine prior to 1948, Israel created a Palestinian nation when they started the Nakba.
No, the UN created Palestine alongside Israel. Prior to that, there was British Mandate Palestine, and before that, a region of the Ottoman Empire whose people considered themselves Palestinians. But Israel didn't "create" Palestine. Both were created at the same time, only what resulted was the Arabs launching a war of extermination, and Israel expanding beyond the UN borders.

So, can someone smarter than me explain to me why Jerusalem isn't an international city like the Vatican (IE, a three state solution)?
That was the original plan. Then the 1947 war happened, followed by the war in 1967, the latter of which resulted in Israel getting control over the city.

Jersualem's kind of a crazy city in that places of worship are literally built on top of each other. So, for instance, the Al Asqua Mosque is built over a Jewish holy site. Jews are allowed to walk around the mosque, but aren't allow to pray outside the mosque, and doing so can get you arrested.

So.. I'm gathering the Trail of Tears is not seen as a genocidal act by you?
The Trail of Tears is arguably a genocidal act, but it's not the best analogy to what happened, as Palestinians were expelled from Israel, Jews from Palestine, and Jews expelled from the Middle East. The Jews are made Israeli citizens, while Palestinians are simultaniously denied right of return, while the ME countries refuse to make them citizens of their own countries.

It's a fact of life that makes me consider things from the Israeli perspective. Until fairly recently, pretty much every country in the region wants them wiped off the face of the map. Assuming that happens, and Hamas's goals are realized, what then? Well, the ME would refuse to take them, so the options are pretty much to be persecuted (again), or flee (again).

Paradoxically, there's always Europe (again).

Reactions: Dirty Hipsters

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
The countries you mention are Iranian proxies so they aren't exactly bombed for the lols. Hezbollah in particular is constantly firing missiles into civilian areas. Israel can hardly let such aggression be ignored.
If Israel actually targetted Hezbollah effectively, I'd agree. Unfortunately, back in 2006 Israel also amused itself demolishing substantial quantities of Lebanon's civilian infrastructure and various residental areas, including large amounts of territory Hezbollah does not control.

...that the Palestinians also continuously tried to sabotage with non-stop suicide attacks against Israeli civilians, children included.
Maybe they'd be less inclined to bomb people if Israel wasn't squatting on large parts of their land.

I mean, this is the joke: a people whose land is occupied by a foreign power are condemned for fighting for it. So I guess the French / Dutch / Czech resistances and Soviet partisans in the 1940s were the bad guys, too, and deserved the Nazis burning down their villages and shooting the inhabitants. If only they learnt to do what they were told, maybe they could have been allowed their countries back. The Americans make movies like Red Dawn praising their civilians for fighting off enemy invasion. Yet they get incredibly pissy about the concept when the civilians fighting off foreign invaders say "Allahu Akbar".

The other factor of course is that the Palestinians are a people without a strong central government infested by many paramilitary / terrorist organisations. The convenient argument here is that if the Palestinian central government representing millions of people negotiates a peace, it gets invalidated because a few thousand guys in Islamic Jihad don't want peace.

The surrounding Arab countries have refused to give Palestinians citizenship, so how would they thrive?
Palestinians are able to emigrate, gain residency and eventually citizenship by the normal systems of naturalisation of whichever country they move to.

What the surrounding Arab nations are wary of is taking a massive load of Palestinians in bulk and just handing them citizenship. Jordan tried that, and it caused problems.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
The Trail of Tears is arguably a genocidal act, but it's not the best analogy to what happened, as Palestinians were expelled from Israel, Jews from Palestine, and Jews expelled from the Middle East. The Jews are made Israeli citizens, while Palestinians are simultaniously denied right of return, while the ME countries refuse to make them citizens of their own countries.

It's a fact of life that makes me consider things from the Israeli perspective. Until fairly recently, pretty much every country in the region wants them wiped off the face of the map. Assuming that happens, and Hamas's goals are realized, what then? Well, the ME would refuse to take them, so the options are pretty much to be persecuted (again), or flee (again).

Paradoxically, there's always Europe (again).
It's not meant to be an analogy. I'm trying to find Generals line for genocide so I can understand their position

Also, committing genocide because your worried they might do a genocide is faulty logic that got them in this position in the first place. Trying to pretend all Palestinians are Hamas is also faulty logic. If they cared about going after those genocidal Hamas, they would ONLY go for them.

Lastly, I'm always going to be anti-genocide. I dont care if its Boris, Motubu, Biden, Jinping, ScoMo, JFK, Erdogan, Netenyahu, Pinochet, Ghandi, Mandela or the fucking pope. if you're genociding, I'm against you. I know, I'm weird like that

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
What the surrounding Arab nations are wary of is taking a massive load of Palestinians in bulk and just handing them citizenship. Jordan tried that, and it caused problems.
Ok, but wasn’t that because Jordan was a monarchy at the time and the ones fastest to take up that offer were various radical leftists groups who proceeded to try and overthrow the monarchy? I don’t really blame the idea if that’s the case, moreso the outdated model of government.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Palestinians are able to emigrate, gain residency and eventually citizenship by the normal systems of naturalisation of whichever country they move to.
That's highly debatable.

Some countries are more forgiving than others (e.g. Jordan is more forgiving than Lebanon), but many Palestinians in the region are effectively stateless. In part because of:

a) There isn't a Palestinian state, so there's the argument of "how can you be a refugee from X, if X doesn't exist?"

b) Israel occupies Palestine, so it's Israel's problem.

c) As long as there's a Palestinian refugee crisis, we can use it as a bargaining chip.

Also, committing genocide because your worried they might do a genocide is faulty logic that got them in this position in the first place. Trying to pretend all Palestinians are Hamas is also faulty logic. If they cared about going after those genocidal Hamas, they would ONLY go for them.
Genocide's already occurred in the region, at least if we equate genocide with forced removal. It happened in 1947 with the Palestinians (and to a lesser extent, Israeleis), and happened afterwards with the Jews. Hamas stated goal is the same goal as the surrounding Arab states in the 1947 war.

You're right, Hamas isn't the same as the PLO or Fatah. It doesn't have any direct influence over Palestinians in the West Bank, whose lives are getting progressively worse. So on one hand, you have Israel, who's steadily encroaching into occupied Palestine, with some dreaming of a Jewish state that covers all of former Judaea. On the other, you have Hamas and various supporters, who dream of a Muslim state that covers all of Palestine, and with the Jews gone.

It's part of why the Ughyr analogy doesn't hold up either, as the Ughyrs don't have the goal of wiping China off the map, nor is China surrounded by countries who want to wipe it off the face of the Earth. Similarly why the SA analogy doesn't hold up, because if Mandela expelled all Afrikaans from the country, they at least had a homeland they could fall back on. In contrast, if Israel was erradicated and the Jews forced to leave, they don't have the same luxury.

Reactions: Dirty Hipsters

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
I have a question. Can any one tell me what the GOP is so offended about by Biden's full throated support of Israel. They keep saying he's not doing enough, but aren't clear on what they want. He's already praising Israelis killing Palestinians

Are they pushing for Biden to invade Gaza etc? Completely tear up any peace process? Say that a Palestinian state will never be a thing? (Or is it just an SocDem thing because they have an opinion?)

Like, I can't even imagine Trump saying those things
I haven't personally seen any Republican particularly critical of Biden's public response to the last few days. The criticisms I have seen of the Biden administration from the right over this matter are things in the period leading up to this: a) there are empty diplomatic positions in the region that haven't been filled yet (which seems like an unfair criticism, there are always unfilled positions early in a term) and b) they chose to release $235 million in aid to Palestine that had been blocked a few years ago, and 1 month later war is breaking out. Drawing a direct line between the money and the rockets is a bit of a stretch, but the Gaza Strip at least is governed by Hamas, and Biden wants to "restore credible engagement" with them, and their engagement tends to be rockets, so there is definitely a perspective where it looks like changes in US policy helped push this.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Oh, fun fact, here's a little nugget of information on the Sheikh Jarrah situation. The buildings from which Palestinians are being evicted were originally Jewish buildings in the 19th century, but after Jordan annexed East Jerusalem, the Jews living there were expelled and filled with Arab tenents. Now, after Israel controls East Jerusalem post-1967, Arab tenents are being expelled and Jewish tenents are moving in.

So, who has legitimate residency?

Microcosm, thy name is Jerusalem. :(

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Oh, fun fact, here's a little nugget of information on the Sheikh Jarrah situation. The buildings from which Palestinians are being evicted were originally Jewish buildings in the 19th century, but after Jordan annexed East Jerusalem, the Jews living there were expelled and filled with Arab tenents. Now, after Israel controls East Jerusalem post-1967, Arab tenents are being expelled and Jewish tenents are moving in.

So, who has legitimate residency?

Microcosm, thy name is Jerusalem. :(
Well, the Isreali Supreme Court ruled decades ago that the Jewish ownership was legitimate, but also that the Arab tenants were protected residents that couldn't be evicted if they paid their rent, and they chose not to. Not that it's really all that important in the larger picture, the protests turned riots against Isreali police started like a month ago about completely different things, and there's little reason to believe the escalation to conflict on the Temple Mount wouldn't have happened if a few tenants weren't evicted. Sheikh Jarrah only became a rallying point because the protests leading up to the clash at al-Aqsa were actually largely about covid-restrictions on Ramadan celebrations, and the internet at large is more sympathetic to evicted tenants than people protesting against covid restrictions.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
Nah mate, the far left absurdity is just reaching new highs on this forum. This thread has become even more stupid than the one about the election being stolen.
Genocide... The topic can't get any more ridiculous than that.
they're doing ethnic cleansing in east jerusalem, Gaza is an open-air prison, and lynch mobs are targeting Arabs in multiple cities with the apparent blessing of the Israeli state.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Genocide's already occurred in the region, at least if we equate genocide with forced removal. It happened in 1947 with the Palestinians (and to a lesser extent, Israeleis), and happened afterwards with the Jews. Hamas stated goal is the same goal as the surrounding Arab states in the 1947 war.

You're right, Hamas isn't the same as the PLO or Fatah. It doesn't have any direct influence over Palestinians in the West Bank, whose lives are getting progressively worse. So on one hand, you have Israel, who's steadily encroaching into occupied Palestine, with some dreaming of a Jewish state that covers all of former Judaea. On the other, you have Hamas and various supporters, who dream of a Muslim state that covers all of Palestine, and with the Jews gone.

It's part of why the Ughyr analogy doesn't hold up either, as the Ughyrs don't have the goal of wiping China off the map, nor is China surrounded by countries who want to wipe it off the face of the Earth. Similarly why the SA analogy doesn't hold up, because if Mandela expelled all Afrikaans from the country, they at least had a homeland they could fall back on. In contrast, if Israel was erradicated and the Jews forced to leave, they don't have the same luxury.
Yeah... no. There are DEFINITELY Uyghur who want that. The Uyghur done LOTS of bombing against China. (Also, a bunch of these Uygurs took part in the Syrian Civil War, just like some Australian Muslims went over there to fight. There's like a over a million of them, of course there are going to be some terrorists) BUT, as with the IDF and Hamas, this group is a small part of the population. Not pointing this out is criminal if you're going to try to justify murder. Using train bombing as a way to round up a whole demographic is, over a million people, is just criminal

Like, I try my best to dissociate Netanyahu from most of Israel, because this isn't removal of Palestinians is that popular. Blaming this on all Israelis is just as stupid. And I point out that Netanyahu isnt even the craziest politician, as there are plenty of Ultra Conservatives in Israel who want this conflict to be definitive. Netanyahu is placating those guys to make sure they dont murder everyone. Because this is all fucked up.

Lastly, I didnt mean all those people i listed WERE committing genocide (eg. Mandala.) I was trying to state that I don't care which country or leader you are, I'm against any genocidal tendencies (eg. IF Mandala pulled a Zimbabwe, Id be against him.)